This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Volta GDDR6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Nvidia Volta GDDR6

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#11
ajxh posted...
monkmith posted...
rendering 4k comes much closer to GDDR5/5x/6 saturation point then it does to HBM2.

Which means it's way ahead of its time. GDDR is still obviously able to game very well at 4K and it'll be another generation or two before people can reasonably expect to push things further than 4K/60 FPS.

AMD jumped on HBM way too early. It's painfully obvious after observing Vega. If AMD could have secured primary rights to the technology and developed it while still utilizing GDDR, I feel that Vega would have looked much different and/or would have released much sooner. But I'm guessing that AMD didn't have the resources to do that or their engineers were shortsighted about HBM.

More likely the hbm is the only thing making amd cards competitive. They've completely lost on efficiency. They've been using the same basic architecture since the 7970? They just keep adding more gpu cores and faster higher bandwidth memory. Meanwhile nvidia has actually reduced their gpu cores and memory bandwidth, and yet have increased their speed.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
3 months ago#12
Do we have any factual numbers regarding GDDR6 at this point or merely estimations still?

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
3 months ago#13
HBM is a f***ing meme at this point
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest

User Info: ThePandaForest

ThePandaForest
3 months ago#14
Hbm is badass

My fury x crossfire was disgustingly smooth @4k

It was creepy
Vega Frontier Edition | Titan X Pascal
C32HG70 HDR 144Hz 1ms | Vive VR

ThePandaForest
3 months ago#15
Hbm2 is no slouch

@4k I can't tell the difference between my vega fe and my titan xp @stock

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#16
ThePandaForest posted...
Hbm2 is no slouch

@4k I can't tell the difference between my vega fe and my titan xp @stock

the hbm2 card cost more so that's a horrible thing lmao
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

ThePandaForest
3 months ago#17
How did it cost more? Inflation?

Glad to see you're smoking up again <3

ThePandaForest
3 months ago#18
Lol inflation what the f*** am I saying

I must be on some good s***

Got the vega for the low low price of $999

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
3 months ago#19
yohabroha posted...
monkmith posted...
yohabroha posted...
HBM 2 is in low stock to anybody not named AMD and so far it doesn't really seem to be doing much for gaming, so yeah not shocking Nvidia is just jumping to GDDR6 instead of f***ing around with HBM

HBM2 has shown fairly consistently that its the superior memory, especially for higher resolution gaming. its a shame nvidia isn't using it and i really hope its because AMD is hoarding it not because nvidia wants to spite anything AMD was involved in developing.

why are Nvidia cards cranking out the same performance in high resolutions if its such a superior memory? it's one thing if AMD just isn't using it to its full potential, but so far GDDR5 is keeping up against what is supposed to be the thing that makes GDDR5 obsolete.

It's exactly that. AMD can't even rightly harness the full potential all around of it's cards in general. That's where the recent meme of AMD cards "aging better" comes from. They actually have to work extra hard on their crummy DX11 drivers to make things work as they should. (Conversely, Nvidia's answer to this is why they seem to have 1-2 drivers a month for every major release) It's also why they want Vulkan and DX12 so badly, it'd let their cards actually shine.

AMD really has a problem, well, a problem IMO, with so much of their stuff involving waiting. Wait for things to come out. Wait for the drivers. Wait for the games to support whatever. So damned much waiting.

They're always way more ahead of what's actually being done, that I swear they seem to forget what is actually current sometimes. Been that way ever since they introduced GCN.
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#20
ajxh posted...
monkmith posted...
rendering 4k comes much closer to GDDR5/5x/6 saturation point then it does to HBM2.

Which means it's way ahead of its time. GDDR is still obviously able to game very well at 4K and it'll be another generation or two before people can reasonably expect to push things further than 4K/60 FPS.

AMD jumped on HBM way too early. It's painfully obvious after observing Vega. If AMD could have secured primary rights to the technology and developed it while still utilizing GDDR, I feel that Vega would have looked much different and/or would have released much sooner. But I'm guessing that AMD didn't have the resources to do that or their engineers were shortsighted about HBM.

Games are built around the market. In order for games to come out that need the bandwidth HBM provides, HBM needs to cover enough of the market. Otherwise, the game would choke and die on the majority of cards available due to lack of bandwidth, and no developer would want a game that the majority of their market can't enjoy.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Nvidia Volta GDDR6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived