This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading to Ryzen, and i bought DDR4 2400...thinking of returning...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading to Ryzen, and i bought DDR4 2400...thinking of returning...

User Info: Warm_Tape

Warm_Tape
3 months ago#1
Hey everyone,

So i bought a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU with this RAM: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232546

I got that because of the low profile(i have a Noctua NH-D14) and because it says right on it "AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory"

I made the mistake of not checking part picker first. But according to them, this RAM will work with my cpu: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232181&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Even though it says "Intel Z170 ".

Now, i have not been keeping up on DDR4. I do not know well enough when it comes to this. I just checked out some benchmarks and saw there wasn't a huge difference between 2400 and 3200. But since my cpu came with the wraith cooler, i'm thinking i might have been better off getting the faster RAM and later on getting a new cooler.

What do you guys think? Return the RAM i bought and get something else?
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
3 months ago#2
With ryzen people are saying faster ram makes more of a difference amd recommend 3200.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
3 months ago#3
It's up to you. If it works you can try to see if it will clock higher anyway, if it goes to 2933 which it might, and if it doesn't work at or you want something faster send it back.

User Info: Fate8

Fate8
3 months ago#4
If you use demanding applications at high resolutions it can be worth it.
Thats because you touch yourself at night.

Warm_Tape
3 months ago#5
I basically just game and browse on my PC.

Either way, thanks for the thoughts guys, i've put in for a refund. Going to get faster RAM for less money.
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real

User Info: Crissaegrim

Crissaegrim
3 months ago#6
check the memory qvl for your motherboard before ordering new memory.

Warm_Tape
3 months ago#7
Crissaegrim posted...
check the memory qvl for your motherboard before ordering new memory.

Thanks, i will do.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 months ago#8
And remember flashing the latest BIOS for your motherboard, as they might improve memory speed compatibility. Early Ryzen had a lot of trouble with high speed memory.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

Warm_Tape
3 months ago#9
Ryzeki posted...
And remember flashing the latest BIOS for your motherboard, as they might improve memory speed compatibility. Early Ryzen had a lot of trouble with high speed memory.

Is that why you went with 2400? Because of issues? I haven't mailed mine out yet, but i have the label from Newegg for it.

And thank you, i will be sure to check and see if my mobo requires an update, or if there is one at all.

Edit: oh, whoops. You have an i7, so probably not why you went with 2400.

Edit 2: I've decided to get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC/?tag=pcpapi-20

Definitely not less money, but it does mean i won't have to get a new heatsink. I will be able to use my Noctua that i already have. In the meantime, while I wait for the bracket, I'll use the wraith cooler.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 months ago#10
3200MHz DD4 or don't bother.

Google it, I assure you.
Ryzen 5 1600X 4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe | Shovel Knight
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading to Ryzen, and i bought DDR4 2400...thinking of returning...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived