This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#1
Topic - Results (114 votes)
Yes, I do them often for a variety of games and/or genres
1.75% (2 votes)
Yes, I do them often for a select few games and/or genres
4.39% (5 votes)
Yes, but it is not a regular thing. Maybe once or twice a year at most
35.96% (41 votes)
No, I have never been in a tournament but would consider it
14.91% (17 votes)
No, and I have no desire to do it. Not really that competitive.
40.35% (46 votes)
Option reserved for Don(s)
2.63% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I recently won a small 1v1 Rocket League tourney (Not bragging, it was like against lower ranked golds http://challonge.com/qwblc0i5), but it got me thinking of this topic. How competitive are you with your games and have you ever been in a tournament? The size of the tournament is unimportant, but it does interest me. Bonus points if you have actually won a tournament.

This specific streamer does like 3 tournaments a month, but it actually kind of feels like picking on little guys. Maybe I shouldn't care and just take my easy prizes... but I digress.

...I'll even make it a poll :P
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
3 months ago#2
Yep! I've been traveling on and off for about 8 years or so for fighting game tournaments.
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 months ago#3
Only once. A friend got me to sign into a Melee tournament to finish out the bracket for the ease of the tourney organizers.

I got s***stomped in the first round but eh, it was fun.
Now Playing: GG Xrd Rev 2, GRIP, Redout
Now, let's count up your sins! | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DrPtkT

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#4
EvilGiygas posted...
Yep! I've been traveling on and off for about 8 years or so for fighting game tournaments.

That's interesting. I have done a few local fighting game tournaments at an arcade a long time ago, but never actually felt good enough to travel to the bigger ones. Do you play many or just focus on one specific game?

wantfastcars posted...
Only once. A friend got me to sign into a Melee tournament to finish out the bracket for the ease of the tourney organizers.

I got s***stomped in the first round but eh, it was fun.

Very cool. I feel like there are people who take it way serious and aim to be the best (which is perfectly fine) and then there others like you and I that just enjoy playing games. Tournaments can be fun win or lose, especially if you are with a bud. I'm thinking about doing more, but as I said not sure about that specific one I alluded to in my OP.
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
3 months ago#5
I've only ever entered Smash 4 tournaments since I happen to be at a convention that happens to be hosting them - and it happens to be the only fighting game I enjoy as it feels anyone can jump in and have fun given everyone is going at it casually.

Usually am first in small local tourneys, runner up sometimes to, and at big events somewhere above average haha.

Sometimes I find myself just playing the game for hours with random folks throughout the night at the cons just because how fun it is.

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
3 months ago#6
Bleu_Skie posted...
That's interesting. I have done a few local fighting game tournaments at an arcade a long time ago, but never actually felt good enough to travel to the bigger ones. Do you play many or just focus on one specific game?

I play quite a few, actually. I mainly focus on Street Fighter V, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Injustice 2. Learning Tekken 7 currently and will be playing future Capcom and NRS games. I play other fighting games but don't put much practice in them. We also host monthly tournaments in our city and surrounding cities so there's a lot of participants.
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 months ago#7
It's been a long time, I was in a few CS:S and CoD4 tournaments. I won the CoD4 ones but lost the CS:S ones.

CS players are absolutely insane, I don't know how I even managed to win even a few of the rounds against them.

I still have some of the old swag I won sitting around, and I wore that alienware hat (thanks for sponsoring my lan party dell.) for almost 10 years.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#8
Technically i ran a rakion tourney a long time ago. I also participated but got wiped out in the second round by a very skilled atspd ninja.
I mostly did the webmaster stuff, some graphics, and managed applications to join.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#9
Yewolife posted...
I've only ever entered Smash 4 tournaments since I happen to be at a convention that happens to be hosting them - and it happens to be the only fighting game I enjoy as it feels anyone can jump in and have fun given everyone is going at it casually.

Usually am first in small local tourneys, runner up sometimes to, and at big events somewhere above average haha.

Sometimes I find myself just playing the game for hours with random folks throughout the night at the cons just because how fun it is.

Smash is one of those games that is solid as a fighter, but also a fun party game. So you do different sizes of tournaments? How do they compare in you opinion? I mean, for me I like winning (lol) , but I cant help thinking it would be more fun if the competition was higher. Do you feel that way in smaller tournaments?

EvilGiygas posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...

I play quite a few, actually. I mainly focus on Street Fighter V, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Injustice 2. Learning Tekken 7 currently and will be playing future Capcom and NRS games. I play other fighting games but don't put much practice in them. We also host monthly tournaments in our city and surrounding cities so there's a lot of participants.

Oh nice. Fighting games must be one of your fav genres if you put enough time to be good at all of those. I'm way out of practice on my fighting games, but might pick up tekken 7 soon and try to "git good" lol. Seems like fighting game tournaments are the most popular tournament wise.... at least here.

wizardmon posted...
It's been a long time, I was in a few CS:S and CoD4 tournaments. I won the CoD4 ones but lost the CS:S ones.

CS players are absolutely insane, I don't know how I even managed to win even a few of the rounds against them.

I still have some of the old swag I won sitting around, and I wore that alienware hat (thanks for sponsoring my lan party dell.) for almost 10 years.

Ah, so you played FPS games competitively? Were you part of team or going solo? The upper levels of all genres are crazy, but the upper levels of some FPS games are super crazy. I've never been much of a fan of FPS games, but that sounds intense... and I would have wore that hat for just as long :P

SinisterSlay posted...
Technically i ran a rakion tourney a long time ago. I also participated but got wiped out in the second round by a very skilled atspd ninja.
I mostly did the webmaster stuff, some graphics, and managed applications to join.

I've never heard of that game, but nice. Did you have fun or was the behind the scenes stuff more your thing?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
3 months ago#10
You kinda missed the "yes but only once" option.

I participated in a street fighter tournament years ago and lost in the semifinals, l had fun but it wasn't something l wanted to do again.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived