This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
2 months ago#11
ablerider posted...
You kinda missed the "yes but only once" option.

I participated in a street fighter tournament years ago and lost in the semifinals, l had fun but it wasn't something l wanted to do again.

"Yes, but it is not a regular thing. Maybe once or twice a year at most"
That was the option I was going for if you have only done one tournament :) Just trying to limit the number of choices as best as I could.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#12
Bleu_Skie posted...
I've never heard of that game, but nice. Did you have fun or was the behind the scenes stuff more your thing?

I had fun. I ran it with a couple friends, and a few community big wigs.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
2 months ago#13
Blue_Skie posted...
Smash is one of those games that is solid as a fighter, but also a fun party game. So you do different sizes of tournaments? How do they compare in you opinion? I mean, for me I like winning (lol) , but I cant help thinking it would be more fun if the competition was higher. Do you feel that way in smaller tournaments?

Honestly smaller tournaments are great and all but the bigger tournaments are where its at in terms of just making the matches feel like theres something at stake when you lose or win. Smaller tournaments I find its hard to take all to seriously as theres a strong correlation with size of tourney to skill and how serious everyone is about actually competing.

Love big ones since it feels each match your throwing down for wrestlemania while small or even mid size ones (unless theres a big concentration of renown players) feel like a school softball game. The crowd of people watching hyping over the matches make a big difference to and also having a actual substantial money pool instead of some coupon or mystery box t-shirt prize haha.

That all said, in general all are fun in their own way, but I personally dig the weight of actual competition where people are really gunning to aim for the top rather then playing just because they happen to be there (even though that's what I do myself being a convention vendor haha).

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#14
Bleu_Skie posted...
ablerider posted...
You kinda missed the "yes but only once" option.

I participated in a street fighter tournament years ago and lost in the semifinals, l had fun but it wasn't something l wanted to do again.

"Yes, but it is not a regular thing. Maybe once or twice a year at most"
That was the option I was going for if you have only done one tournament :) Just trying to limit the number of choices as best as I could.

Yeah, l ended up choosing that one xD.

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
2 months ago#15
yes, i'm the national tekken 5 champ in this (admittedly small)country.

won a trip to the US.
Not being able to land shoryuken consistently on one method of input as opposed to another is a matter of preference - zedzilla
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
2 months ago#16
wantfastcars posted...
Only once. A friend got me to sign into a Melee tournament to finish out the bracket for the ease of the tourney organizers.

I got s***stomped in the first round but eh, it was fun.

Basically this. Did a tourney for Melee at Game Crazy in Compton and got served my first round. Was a rude reminder that just because I'm a gaming GOD compared to my some of friends, it's always someone better.

Did another for DBZ Budaki 3. Got 3rd and my Friend got first and won a free copy of Tenchaichi 1(inb4 spelling).

Would have done more local ones, but after those Game Crazy got eating by Game Stop and really the only Tourneys they had were for Madden and 2K. I think the occasional COD or Halo too.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Titanfall 2, For Honor, Mirrors Edge, Trails in The Sky.

User Info: runrom

runrom
2 months ago#17
I go, work permitting.
3570K | Asus RX 480 | OnePlus One | Hori RAP v.4 VLX | IBM Model M

User Info: xpiritflare

xpiritflare
2 months ago#18
I went to 2 SSBM tournaments back in the day.

One of them only really attracted locals and people in the surrounding areas. The other one was a little bigger attracting some good players, such as Kage and Silent Wolf.

Despite a bunch of people from my city saying I was the best player in the city (which I did not agree with), I choked in both of those tournaments.
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
2 months ago#19
I used to go to fighting game tournaments all the time when I was younger. (17-22). Played them all, played with the best. I was a top Soul Calibur 2 player here playing Xianghua and Siegfried.

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
2 months ago#20
I went to MLG Philadelphia in 2005 for Halo 2. Around the same time period I also played in some local Madden tournaments for the PS2.

Online, I played in a couple tournaments on Gamebattles. My team won a pretty small tournament (16 teams I think) in Area 51 for PS2. In a Gears of War tournament, we won a couple rounds. One of those was against the team ranked #3 on the ladder at the time. We ended up losing to vBi (later became a pro team) 3-2 in the BO5.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you ever been in a video game tournament?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived