This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 780 won't dowcnlock while in idle how to fix this?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 780 won't dowcnlock while in idle how to fix this?

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
3 months ago#1
For some reason even when Im at the desktop no programs open, my card won't go into idle mode. I'm wondering how to fix this because it creates extra heat in my system which causes my cpu fans to to on slightly so there is this constant whurr sound.

My GPU temperatures are ~38 C when it does downclock correctly while idle. And 65C now that it doesn't so thats a big difference too

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 months ago#2
Tony_Biggie_Pun posted...
For some reason even when Im at the desktop no programs open, my card won't go into idle mode. I'm wondering how to fix this because it creates extra heat in my system which causes my cpu fans to to on slightly so there is this constant whurr sound.

My GPU temperatures are ~38 C when it does downclock correctly while idle. And 65C now that it doesn't so thats a big difference too

RS your system and see if that helps. you have something on that is causing it to run.
Rig: R5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz | MSI B350M Bazooka | EVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Headset: Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#3
You can use nvidia inspector to force it to downclock.
check your GPU load. Is anything eating it up?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
3 months ago#4
I actually found the root cause of it real quick after struggling with this for a while. Nvidia Shadowplay running in instant replay mode was forcing it to run in 3D clocks. Just installed the new Nvidia drivers and the issue is gone. It runs in idle even with Instant replay on.

Only thing that sucks is that it's been running at those clocks at idle for probably months now, but I'm glad its fixed now
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 780 won't dowcnlock while in idle how to fix this?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived