This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recharging laptop at 50%

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Recharging laptop at 50%

User Info: Violet_Blooded

Violet_Blooded
2 months ago#1
is it bad? i use the laptop in my field work during the day and when i get home the battery is around 40% - 60% so i recharge it cuz i can't risk it dying on me the next day..
is this a bad practice? am i damaging the battery one way or another?
http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/vivix_00/VioBsig.jpg

User Info: Kharillle

Kharillle
2 months ago#2
should be fine. I think the worse thing is to charge even when its at 100%. Or if you deplete it to 0% and leave it without charge.

User Info: Chass1990

Chass1990
2 months ago#3
I used to worry about stuff like this. Nowadays, I just charge whenever I should to have it available when I need it. If the battery dies faster from it, then I'd just replace the battery.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 * Xeon E3-1246 v3 * Noctua NH-U12S * MSI GTX 970 * Sound Blaster Z * HyperX Savage 32GB * 850 Evo * Supernova G2 750W * Phanteks Enthoo Pro

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
2 months ago#4
Not anymore.... used to be a very bad idea with NiCad batteries, but not so much of a thing with Lithium Ion.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#5
With lithium batteries. It's not charge level that matters, it's charge cycles.
Every time it enters a charge cycle, you reduce the life.

This is why is bad to leave them plugged in, because your bios will drain it to 93% then charge it back to 95% over and over 20+ times a day.
Full or partially draining it and then restoring the charge each day only once will be fine for the battery. That's the best way to use it.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Violet_Blooded

Violet_Blooded
2 months ago#6
Thanks for info guys.

Kharillle posted...
should be fine. I think the worse thing is to charge even when its at 100%.

SinisterSlay posted...
This is why is bad to leave them plugged in, because your bios will drain it to 93% then charge it back to 95% over and over 20+ times a day.

But during gaming sessions i have to keep it plugged, otherwise it will default to built in graphic.. is it wrong?
http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/vivix_00/VioBsig.jpg

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#7
Violet_Blooded posted...
But during gaming sessions i have to keep it plugged, otherwise it will default to built in graphic.. is it wrong?

You can pull out the battery if your having an extended game session.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
2 months ago#8
SinisterSlay posted...
Full or partially draining it and then restoring the charge each day only once will be fine for the battery.

Are you pretty sure about this? I genuinely don't know, which is why I'm asking. I've heard/read multiple places that it's bad to totally deplete lithium ion batteries, and that it shortens the lifespan.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Rolen47

Rolen47
2 months ago#9
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

According to that page charging up to 85% and disconnecting is the best for the battery. It doesn't matter how low the battery is when you start charging. Charging to 100% will lower its lifetime capacity faster.

Heat is the worst thing for lithium ion batteries. Always try to keep your batteries away from hot things (like inside a hot car will kill it super quick).

Just don't think about it much. It doesn't cost much to replace a battery.

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
2 months ago#10
When I did Electrical Engineering in college.. 17 years ago we were taught that keeping a cell connected when it's fully charged is bad and charging a cell before it has sufficiently depleted is also bad.

It wasn't really a big deal back in the day and doesn't matter much now with devices using different cells than we were widely using 17 years ago and beyond. I remember my mobile phones in the 90's having options to discharge the battery.

Even modern cells in our devices aren't invincible, my mum has killed 2 laptops and 1 tablet because she left them plugged in 24/7 and they now need to be plugged in permanently because the cells hold 0 charge.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Recharging laptop at 50%

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived