This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Quake 3 Vs Unreal Tournament

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So Quake 3 Vs Unreal Tournament

User Info: Taitao

Taitao
1 month ago#21
UT. Plenty of content, unreal editor, secondary fire over Q3, many mutator configurations, and A.I. enemy bots are very challenging. This is the PC game I play most.
I also updated the game to DX10 api for greater graphics to make it look like a modern game.
HSF2:AE

User Info: Depth_scroll

Depth_scroll
1 month ago#22
UT99 had a cool soundtrack and a lot of content, but Quake 3 Arena was the most visceral and greater looking, although it was nothing that UT2004 couldn't top in the face of Doom 3.
A dream was cast off for getting played too out of station.
A cube marked with an x won't let you game outside the box.

User Info: DarkwingDidi

DarkwingDidi
1 month ago#23
Quake III Arena always has a spot in my heart
Know it or not, man treads between twin abysses a tightrope that has neither beginning nor end.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#24
JoboHotep posted...
I haven't played UT 99, but I love the hell out of UT 2k4!!

Really well optimized too, you can damn near run it on a potato.

Actually, it's pretty terribly optimized, and requires a SB+ Intel CPU just to hold 120fps on vanilla maps at all times.
Unreal Engine 2 was actually pretty awful, and couldn't handle static meshes for s***.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
1 month ago#25
Both are great, but UT2K4 takes the win.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#26
Quake just feels so much better.
Ryzen 5 1600X @4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

User Info: Pauken

Pauken
1 month ago#27
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JoboHotep posted...

Actually, it's pretty terribly optimized, and requires a SB+ Intel CPU just to hold 120fps on vanilla maps at all times.
Unreal Engine 2 was actually pretty awful, and couldn't handle static meshes for s***.

In 2004 it may have been terribly optimized, but given how PC processors have advanced so damn far in 13 years, brute forcing it is totally doable even on the weakest modern PCs.

So the statement that it runs on potatos is apt, as very few 13-year-old computers are still being used by gamers. Hell even non-gamers typically are running 5 year old machines at worst, so UT2k4 should work on their machines too.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#28
Pauken posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JoboHotep posted...

In 2004 it may have been terribly optimized, but given how PC processors have advanced so damn far in 13 years, brute forcing it is totally doable even on the weakest modern PCs.

So the statement that it runs on potatos is apt, as very few 13-year-old computers are still being used by gamers. Hell even non-gamers typically are running 5 year old machines at worst, so UT2k4 should work on their machines too.

Which is completely irrelevant to his assertion about it being well optimized. You can make a brick fly with enough thrust. That doesn't make it aerodynamic in any sense, ever.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
1 month ago#29
Orestes417 posted...
Pauken posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JoboHotep posted...

Which is completely irrelevant to his assertion about it being well optimized. You can make a brick fly with enough thrust. That doesn't make it aerodynamic in any sense, ever.

I'm calling it well optimized because it ran well at what I considered reasonable settings for the time period.

I was running it on a Pent 4 (1.4Gz) from 2002 with a GForce 5900 (I think had 32MB of memory but could be wrong, it's been awhile), with 640MB of RD800 RAM, on Windows 2000 SP3.

I was able to run it with (I believe, again, it's been awhile) all settings cranked up, at 1024x768. I don't know the exact FPS because, frankly I don't care as long as a game runs smoothly, but I'd make a reasonable guess at around 50 fps, likely more.

So again, it ran very well on a machine that was already a few years old when the game came out, as well as not giving me any issues that needed to be resolved, it just ran great immediately after install.

That, to me, is what I consider well optimized (and also could not be said about numerous other games of the same time period), so that's how I'm going to refer to it, if someone else doesn't share that definition, that's their prerogative.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: someguyshand

someguyshand
1 month ago#30
I've always been a UT99 guy but both games are excellent and you cannot go wrong with either one.
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So Quake 3 Vs Unreal Tournament

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived