This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lately I find myself more and more enjoy collecting games but not playing them

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Lately I find myself more and more enjoy collecting games but not playing them

User Info: Zewsdi

Zewsdi
1 month ago#1
I find that I enjoy collecting games and thinking about what I want to play more than actually playing the games. Often I will start up a game only to put it down shortly after and want to move on to something else. Do I have a problem?

User Info: perijah

perijah
1 month ago#2
Don't do it. You'll hate yourself later on when you look at the huge pile of games that's almost worthless.
Sing with me: Bababadoe bababadoe bababadoe bapajeeeay

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#3
I had this problem at one point. I think its an issue of forcing yourself to like a game that everyone says is great but bores the hell out of you. Once i got dark souls 3 i played nonstop. But garbage like witcher and shadow of mordor, ac games i just delete because they arent fun.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
1 month ago#4
Yes. Digital hording and compulsive spending are behaviorial disorders. Seek help.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 weeks ago#5
Ciera posted...
Yes. Digital hording and compulsive spending are behaviorial disorders. Seek help.

It depends on how much they are spending. People go to bars all the time for example. Is that considered a disorder when it's not out of control?

For me I am selective with what I buy but I do buy more than I play. It has more to do with the fact the Internet is a source of nearly infinite entertainment than any decrease in my interest in games.

User Info: Retrowire

Retrowire
4 weeks ago#6
Voxwik posted...
Ciera posted...

It depends on how much they are spending. People go to bars all the time for example. Is that considered a disorder when it's not out of control?

For me I am selective with what I buy but I do buy more than I play. It has more to do with the fact the Internet is a source of nearly infinite entertainment than any decrease in my interest in games.

It's not out of control FOR NOW.

Ciera's post isn't a joke post in the least bit. This is a developing behavioral disorder. I'm lucky that I restrain myself to a budget during sales. I can't imagine having backlogs as large as some people.
AdhesiveWombat is the greatest chiptune electro artist ever.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
4 weeks ago#7
If you're essentially hoarding something that has no resell value, then yes, it's a problem, just as with buying too many lottery tickets or something similar. I used to be like this though. I've bought some 100 Steam games, hundreds more PS3/Vita games, and I still have old systems with games I haven't played. So I've kept myself to a "only buy if it's on a good sale, buy less than $20 per 2-3 months, and try to play your backlog". So far it's worked well the past 3 months. I've only bought 2 games on a flash sale for $20 and completed 9 games + stopped playing two that were taking way too much of my time. I would suggest you do the same or something similar to cut down your buying habits.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
4 weeks ago#8
I keep getting the Humble Bundles... It typically gives me at least 1 game that I want, for the price that I am willing to pay.

I typically give away the games that I don't want, or are duplicates.

I got the Saints row bundle last time around, and accidentally installed both homefront games... to say they were awful, is an understatement. But I did end up with a few gems I would have never played otherwise.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#9
Try playing a collection game, like Phantasy Star Online. For example, collect every weapon in PSO2. Just try it. Better yet, grind all the ones with title rewards.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 weeks ago#10
Of course it can be a problem. I personally don't buy games just for the sake of it usually though.

As more time goes on more unfortunate incidents like the Descent series are going to happen too. The games are phenomenal games from the 1990s in my opinion, but Interplay stopped paying royalties to the studio that made the games so the games had to be pulled from GOG and Steam. Now the series is stuck in limbo with whatever walking corpse husk Interplay currently exists as having technical control over it.

This is why I have no problem buying a game if I'm really interested in playing it some day even if I won't soon. The Fable III debacle is another example. (It has a PC release, but was pulled from Steam.)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Lately I find myself more and more enjoy collecting games but not playing them

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived