This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going from a GTX 750 ti OC to a _______ (help me fill in the blank)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from a GTX 750 ti OC to a _______ (help me fill in the blank)

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#1
My future with gaming looks to be like it is going to stay on PC. At least for another few months.

I had this PC built specifically for Photo editing in 4K. So it has the top processor available at the time, 32GB of Ram, but it came stock with a GT640... Which did OK for Photos, and Dark Souls 1.

Once I tried out Dark Souls 2, I realized that the bundled card was crap. I mean it did great for Photo editing, but not for getting 1080p out the HDMI port.

I LOVE the GTX 750, I love how it runs everything, even games that it shouldn't technically be able to run.

I Love having two HDMI ports as well. I run Main screen on a 28" 4K Samsung, and second screen on a 55" 4K Samsung, on the next wall.

I need something that is going to run Destiny 2, and Forza Motorsport 7. I would prefer to stay under the 500 watts that my PSU already chugs.

For the most part, I am looking to simply swap out the 750 with something else that will just need and adapter from DVI to HDMI for my Monitor, though I have heard that there are cards that have double HDMI on them, like the 750.

Obviously on Windows 10, so compatible DX is not an issue. I just don't really care about GRaphics cards enough, because I never felt like I need to change it up.

trying to also stay under the $500 mark, for total install.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Cryptarch

Cryptarch
3 months ago#2
Since you're on a budget, get the GTX 1070.

User Info: ZeroCharge

ZeroCharge
3 months ago#3
Keep in mind though a 1070 won't be running games at 4K 60FPS unless you turn stuff down.
Corsair A540 Cube Case | SABERTOOTH Z97 MK I | i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz | H110i | 16GB Dominator Platinum 1866 | MSI Gaming X 1080Ti | Corsair AX1200 | W10

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#4
I'll be turning down stuff to get 60fps if I stick with my 750. Honestly I would be find with 30fps 4k if it means everything is almost maxed out.

I can tweak things like detail distances, and DOF, and without having to oversample, it almost makes the trade off on my 750, but the majority of games are not optimized very well.

I ran the Forza Horizon demo, and it looked fantastic. It crashed a lot, and gave me low memory warnings pretty much every other second, but it ran smooth, and it still looked amazing.

If FM7 can pull it off, I'm mostly looking to get the same sort of performance from a new video card, just with more detail. 4K is NOT mandatory for me, but if I can run the game at max 1080p60f, I will surely attempt to bump into 4k, Low, and go from there.

Same for Destiny. Though because it is a shooter, I would opt for Distant Detail over FPS (don't judge me).

GTX 1070... is there a Special model I should look for?
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#5
I looked in ebay and they are selling between $300-400. Not bad.

Plain 1080 is going for ~$500.

Is there that little difference between the two? $100 is not going to stop me from getting a VASTLY superior card, if that is the case.

Then again, for the price of the 1080 ti, I could not have to change GPU's again for another 5-10 years... Though I might have to sell some body parts.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 months ago#6
What CPU do you have? A 1080 is a nice but small step up from a 1070, while a 1080ti is considerably stronger and will last longer.

Any of thede mentioned cards is above and beyond the 750 in every sense.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#7
I7 5770k sound right? I know it is a "k" It came out just before I bought the PC... about 3 years ago.

Based on the Spec sheet, it might actually be a 3770k.

Device manager says its a 3.4Ghz... which means its not a "k" dammit... I paid for a 5770k... too late for that now. Either way, it screams, and I never have had issues with it. So hindsight 20/20... always check device manager for your processor.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 months ago#8
ApexMjolnir posted...
I7 5770k sound right? I know it is a "k" It came out just before I bought the PC... about 3 years ago.

Based on the Spec sheet, it might actually be a 3770k.

Hmm get a 1070 and save some money. Overclock both the CPU and GPU and enjoy a great combo.

Save the money to upgrade in some years.

Or if you dont plan on upgrading in several years at all, get a 1080 ti. I dont recommend it unless you want super horsepower for 4k. With a couple of tweaks, I can get most of my games at 4k either 30 or 60fps, and the gtx1070 is not that weaker in comparison.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#9
It ranked #7 ... which sounds more than adequate.

1080 was #3

1080 ti #1

MINIMAL Price differences, and Dual HDMI make the 1080ti a little more interesting. Hopefully the prices come down on them before 2018... if the market trends show that, I will deal with the 750 until then. If Destiny 2 and Forza Run at 30fps on the 750, then thats a no brainer for me to just wait until the price makes more sense to me.

If they run like ass, I'll probably just grab a 1050ti until then... which I am sure should run it better than the 750, and has the HDMI ports I want.

Thanks for the info, there might me a middle ground, and the 1070, looks like it would last me a few years with no headaches as well.

So its a coin flip.

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#10
I did some more looking into cards... the 980 ti seems to be almost on par with the 1070, for half the price.

Is this a real thing?

It the performance that close, and it has the output I prefer?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from a GTX 750 ti OC to a _______ (help me fill in the blank)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived