This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#31
OptimusRekt posted...
Another "why do ppl" s*** topic

More like a "look what I can do with my $10,000 paperweight other than play games!" topic.

Dat salt.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#32
Dat salt.

Salt in a topic called "Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming" should be expected. The Xbox One X is a liquid-cooled, RX 480 graphics card powered, new chip and power-grid, behemoth in a small box for what will be $599 CAD for people in my country. A GTX 1070 is $600+ or so without the computer here. And the X will be far more available at local stores. To compare something that would cost $1,000+ in my market to a $600 thing is silly to me. Then to compare it to even higher end PC stuff is worse. I think a Xbox One X will be good for the people who want it just like how $1,000+ computers satisfy those people. I personally don't have a 4K TV or anything so I'll just be here, sitting in poor man's land, not really caring about the X or people's higher end computers because all I'll get is people saying "LOL GET A JOB". The GameFAQs PC board is as predictable as all hell.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#33
Forza Motorsport 7... 4K 60fps on Console!!! so what do you do? Same price as a GPU upgrade to play it on most PCs at the same spec.

Do you broaden your gaming capability, by adding the console, and having access to a new library of games, or do you dump the same money into a graphics card that MIGHT perform the same (probably not) for the game you want to play.

I personally own a LOT of digital content, on Xbox, hundreds of games I have not played in years, that I simply need a console to regain access to. For me it makes perfect sense to get the console again at some point. It is absolutely going to happen at some point AFTER the XOX launches... If that is day 1 or not, depends on the bundle available.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#34
Console players typically think it is stupid to invest in a console for a single game. Like buying a Switch because you are a huge Zelda Fan, but after you are done with it, going back to Destiny on PS4.

If you are a Gamer, then you realize, you can buy 6 s***ty games for $60, or you can buy a new console, or RAM, or New GPU... etc.

I can't tell you how many people told me that it was a Waste of money to buy a PS3, JUST to play GT5. Guess what, I loved every minute of the game. I also played Demon's Souls. I never found it to be a waste. In fact I sold EVERY PS3 I ever bought, for more money than I paid for it.

So face value, yeah it seems stupid to buy a console to play a single game. The truth is, nobody ever said you have to keep it until you die.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
3 months ago#35
Stonedwolfed posted...
wildog2006 posted...
A large chunk of people own a computer that only needs a GPU

I don't know how we can measure "large". Let's consider "systems more than two years old".

Are you saying you'd spend $300 to $500 on a graphics card and put that into a machine more than two years old? Wouldn't that be suboptial?

Or are you saying within 2 years of purchase you're spending that third-to-half grand on new bobbins for your rig?

I've been into computers since the Commodore Vic 20, C64, Amiga (500 and 1200) then into PCs in time for Quake and Total Annihilation. But for all the joy PC gaming (and modding) as brought me over the years they are a rusty spike in the bell-end and a crazy drain on the wallet.

If you have a computer with an i5/i7 from 2011, then yes you only need a GPU...at least right now.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#36
Stonedwolfed posted...

Are you saying you'd spend $300 to $500 on a graphics card and put that into a machine more than two years old? Wouldn't that be suboptial?

It wouldn't be suboptimal depending on the CPU. AMD's Ryzen means perhaps it would be for an older AMD CPU, but Intel has made only marginal gains over the last half a decade.

Forget my several year old i7 4790k, which I found out isn't remotely worth upgrading any time soon, my prior i5 4670k really still wouldn't need to be upgraded (I only upgraded to the i7 to hand down older parts to a relative's machine). It is only first recently (within the last year or so) that I've seen people advocate upgrading from overclocked i5 2500k CPUs.

I'm sure it depends on the game, but a CPU "bottleneck" has nothing to do with specific GPUs but instead on whether a game that uses the power of the GPU also needs more power from the CPU.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#37
OptimusRekt posted...
Dat salt.

Salt in a topic called "Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming" should be expected. The Xbox One X is a liquid-cooled, RX 480 graphics card powered, new chip and power-grid, behemoth in a small box for what will be $599 CAD for people in my country. A GTX 1070 is $600+ or so without the computer here. And the X will be far more available at local stores. To compare something that would cost $1,000+ in my market to a $600 thing is silly to me. Then to compare it to even higher end PC stuff is worse. I think a Xbox One X will be good for the people who want it just like how $1,000+ computers satisfy those people. I personally don't have a 4K TV or anything so I'll just be here, sitting in poor man's land, not really caring about the X or people's higher end computers because all I'll get is people saying "LOL GET A JOB". The GameFAQs PC board is as predictable as all hell.

You can be salty about it or you can get over it. The choice is always yours to make, and you will make it one way or another.
Why so salty over a game console?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#38
I don't even understand the point of getting 'salty' about it. It's an interesting comparison to me and nothing more. The only thing I got 'salty' over was the PS4 Pro forgoing a 4k Blu-ray drive, meaning the Xbox One X would have been something I'd get... if not for it lacking any exclusives I'd want.

I never thought I'd be praising Microsoft over Sony about a game console. Sony just has that whole pesky "more third party support" advantage. For the time being I think Microsoft is making products more appealing to me than in the past. I just have enough games as is, so I have no plan to buy a current generation console any time soon.

The PC is my preferred platform for reasons totally unrelated to graphics power anyway. The platform isn't locked down like practically everything else is, though I'm sure MS would absolutely love to clamp down in the name of 'security' after prodding/forcing people into UWP development.

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#39
I'm running an i7 3770 with a GTX 750 ti. It benchmarks slightly better than the PS4 Pro.

I can Easily enjoy playing games on it.

I fully expect to get Xbox One X performance by switching JUST the GPU to a 1070 or 1080.

I already have the necessary PSU installed, and should have no issues with anything other than adding another hard drive for $40.

So yeah, it doesn't make PERFECT sense to buy a console, but if you want the more active community, because Everyone has compatible hardware for a game that just released, then Console is where you go.

When I went from PS4 to PC, for playing Dark Souls 3, The community was WAY smaller. There is typically less than 10,000 people playing DS3 at any given time on PC... and it is mainly due to the people on PC playing games I would never touch, even on console for free.

This is mainly due to most people having a Budget PC.

HIGH END gaming is NOT the Norm, on the PC market. The people that do invest in High end stuff, typically don't stick around with a game for months or years. They usually find something else to try out on their investment, and never touch the game again.

The folks with the budget PC, are looking to buy games for $2 on ebay, or Humble Bundle, and play them for a month or two. Knowing that they are a GPU away from enjoying a game like GTA V, while there is still a community that plays the game (without cheating or modding) is going to be favored against them.

I would say that the majority of games that are Online, all favor buying the game on Day 1, because otherwise the people you play the game with are going to be a minimum of MONTHS ahead of you progress-wise. Making you either want to give up, because you can't hang, or being the fifth wheel.

The fact that the XOX is launching months after the two games that would best prove how good the console is (FM7 and Destiny 2) is not going to help its marketshare... Especially if many people can simply buy a GPU and download both games, a month before the console is even available.

User Info: 95_Eclipse

95_Eclipse
3 months ago#40
steve_madsci posted...
An RX 480 with no dedicated RAM and a tablet CPU.

Any desktop with a 480 (or a 970) will out perform the the XboneX on these merits alone.

People defend their consoles either out of ignorance or for reassurance

Except it doesn't have the over head of windows or its background applications, so the gap isn't all that big when it comes to gaming. The PC should in theory still perform better, but in real life use, it likely won't (with most games, CPU intensive games rarely make it to consoles anyway).
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived