This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#41
Windows background applications having some notable overhead was more a thing in Windows 95-XP, not modern machines unless those background applications are very poorly designed. Windows itself has actually reversed its trend of getting more bloated (performance wise) with each release.

That doesn't negate the point that the machine's OS can focus only on gaming, but a couple trivial background processes with a lesser priority than game processes I'd guess are an insignificant factor.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#42
95_Eclipse posted...
steve_madsci posted...
An RX 480 with no dedicated RAM and a tablet CPU.

Any desktop with a 480 (or a 970) will out perform the the XboneX on these merits alone.

People defend their consoles either out of ignorance or for reassurance

Except it doesn't have the over head of windows or its background applications, so the gap isn't all that big when it comes to gaming. The PC should in theory still perform better, but in real life use, it likely won't (with most games, CPU intensive games rarely make it to consoles anyway).

idk, PS4 doesn't have that overhead, but it's CPU is still a massive limitation, and it shows in more demanding scenarios.
XXXbone has some nifty technology to help with that, but a weak CPU is a weak CPU, and things like AI or physics multithreading aren't as magical as people seem to think.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: blly155

blly155
4 months ago#43
the GPU itself is quite good. 6TF rates it just under a stock 1070 but i think it's actually a RX 480 or something? who knows. 480 or 1070 those are great GPUs right now on PC. not the best but still good choices.

what lets it down is the cpu + ram. in that aspect it is nowhere near a modern gaming PC. XB1X has 12GB with 4GB for the OS and 8GB for games. PC standard is 16/32GB right now. CPUs on PC are much more powerful.
PS4 (Slim), PC (i7-6700K, 16GB, GTX 1070).

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#44
Console OSes are also bloated nowadays, The PS4 even has 3GB RAM reserved for the OS.

I'd guess that part of the reason why the PS4 GPU has underperformed compared to close PC GPUs is because the studios are running whatever compute tasks they can on the GPU to offload the weak Jaguar cores.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
4 months ago#45
real talk, even with its increased power over PS4 i'll never expect it to be able to handle a game like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMeqj8WG0a8

incidentally this is also my go to example to shut fanboys up about demanding PC exclusives that warrant the expensive hardware since it's an instant visual reminder they won't see this type of action on a console in the close future(at least nowhere near the same capacity).
Not being able to land shoryuken consistently on one method of input as opposed to another is a matter of preference - zedzilla
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#46
3GB just for the OS seems hilariously nonsensically bloated. What are they using it to buffer the video recording at all times? That's just astronomical for an OS.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#47
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Except it doesn't have the over head of windows or its background applications, so the gap isn't all that big when it comes to gaming. The PC should in theory still perform better, but in real life use, it likely won't (with most games, CPU intensive games rarely make it to consoles anyway).

Your right, the windows 10 running on the Xbox doesn't have the overhead of Windows. It just needs an entire cpu dedicated to itself. 120 gigs of hdd space, and 2.5 gigs of ram.

Not sure how console Windows can be so efficient when full blown Windows needs 1% of one core of a cpu, 418 mb of RAM, 25gigs of space, and has trillions more functions.

That's console efficiency everyone. Everything takes 4 times the horse power to do 1/100,000,000 the functionality.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Connora711

Connora711
4 months ago#48
I like it how people seem to forget that games are way better optimized for console's. I'm not picking side's here or anything because I have both a PC and a Xbox one. I'm just pointing out the facts that even if a PC had better hardware than the Xbox one x the Xbox one x can and sometimes WILL perform the equivalent to an PC SOLELY because developers can squeeze every inch of power out of it to use it.
The walking dead is the best show

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#49
Connora711 posted...
I like it how people seem to forget that games are way better optimized for console's. I'm not picking side's here or anything because I have both a PC and a Xbox one. I'm just pointing out the facts that even if a PC had better hardware than the Xbox one x the Xbox one x can and sometimes WILL perform the equivalent to an PC SOLELY because developers can squeeze every inch of power out of it to use it.

That is My whole point. The fact that Destiny 2 is going to be available on PC, doesn't guarantee that it will run as well as the Console versions, Even if your specs look better on paper.

Games like Forza Horizon 3, can prove this. On Xbox One, you just boot the game up, and it runs nearly without flaws. Boot it up on PC, and you get Stutter, and crashing, and LOW VIDEO ERRORS pretty much non-stop, EVEN if you have a top tier PC.

This is not because the game sucks, but it is because of how it has to look at EVERY PC as slightly different. If your Kernel is not giving off the correct trigger, the game is not going to utilize ALL of your Processor cores. Hence, it will not be optimized for you to enjoy it.

All the consoles have similar Kernels, which can be updated on the Fly, and provide a slight increase in fluidity.

While I can see past the bogging down, if it is the ONLY way I can play the game, but knowing that it is available on a Console, why would I want to play it on the worst format?
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
3 months ago#50
i don't get these types of questions- we live in a world where most adults believe in literal fairy tales from the bronze age. lots of morons in the world who will believe anything that fits their narrative. next.
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived