This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
1 month ago#51
ApexMjolnir posted...
The fact that Destiny 2 is going to be available on PC, doesn't guarantee that it will run as well as the Console versions

Are you high? The console version is locked to 30 FPS. Unless the PC version is so poorly coded that it crashes every five minutes then the PC version is almost guaranteed to be better.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
1 month ago#52
Define a modern PC gaming rig. Some of the so called over the counter gaming rigs that can be bought today are crap. Compared to them, the Xbox one x equals and probably exceed.

Of course, you can build a far more powerful system, though not for £449 (the cost of the Xbox one x in the uk. A high end decent GPU costs more than that). The crowd from the US will claim they can probably build a better one cheaper, but I base my builds on UK prices (where we pay 20% vat).
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#53
Shinobi120 posted...
Hence why most 3rd party publishers stick to the lowest common denominator of specs when porting their games to PC, because the market for people in which they have high-end PC's with beastly specs aren't there.

Yep, and yet you still have morons claiming the consoles are "holding PC gaming back" - no, the performance of commodity integrated graphics chipsets/entry level/mainstream GPUs are if anything.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
1 month ago#54
Silvererazor posted...
1. The people claim that the XboX is "equal to modern PC gaming" because the M$-PR-machine tells them so. Simple as that. In reality no one knows how the XboX will perform(exactly). We have to wait and see.

On a technical sense it is though, hell, when you consider that most people are using GPUs right around the performance of the base PS4/XB1 (or lower), it would be wholly accurate to say that the consoles are on par with most PCs. Of course "PC gaming" isn't a set spec, and encompasses everyone from the gobs of people playing LoL, CS:Go etc. on 6+ year old laptops to the tiny niche at the top-end who compulsively upgrade every component of their PC because not being on the cutting-edge makes them physically ill.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

User Info: Shinobi120

Shinobi120
1 month ago#55
godplaysSNES posted...
Console OSes are also bloated nowadays, The PS4 even has 3GB RAM reserved for the OS.

I'd guess that part of the reason why the PS4 GPU has underperformed compared to close PC GPUs is because the studios are running whatever compute tasks they can on the GPU to offload the weak Jaguar cores.

This. While the regular PS4 has a 50% more powerful GPU than Xbox One, it's being hampered/bottlenecked because of the Jaguar cores. And the same with PS4 Pro (even though they added in an even more beastly GPU inside of it).

Had Sony went with a more powerful CPU, then this kind of discussion wouldn't even exist right now.

JKatarn
1 month ago#56
ApexMjolnir posted...
This is mainly due to most people having a Budget PC.

HIGH END gaming is NOT the Norm, on the PC market. The people that do invest in High end stuff, typically don't stick around with a game for months or years. They usually find something else to try out on their investment, and never touch the game again.

While you are correct, PC gamers being fickle has less to do with the hardware and more to do with the number of games available on PC/frequent sales/certain free to play games like LoL which are only on PC being incredibly popular etc.

JKatarn
1 month ago#57
Voxwik posted...
Windows background applications having some notable overhead was more a thing in Windows 95-XP, not modern machines unless those background applications are very poorly designed. Windows itself has actually reversed its trend of getting more bloated (performance wise) with each release.

There's still a LOT of crap related to various Windows processes/functions running in the background that would be unnecessary on the gaming-focused consoles.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#58
JKatarn posted...
Shinobi120 posted...
Hence why most 3rd party publishers stick to the lowest common denominator of specs when porting their games to PC, because the market for people in which they have high-end PC's with beastly specs aren't there.

Yep, and yet you still have morons claiming the consoles are "holding PC gaming back" - no, the performance of commodity integrated graphics chipsets/entry level/mainstream GPUs are if anything.

Exactly. Even the OS is holding PC back. Back during the 360 era, even PC exclusives targeted DX9 only, because of XP, despite requiring Geforce 8 series. Now, games are still targeting DX11 only because of Windows 7's huge userbase.

I always ask the guys claiming consoles are holding PC back to provide examples of impressive PC exclusives.
PC exclusives are typically always bad in some regard, often using old APIs and/or poor multicore support.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
1 month ago#59
godplaysSNES posted...
I always ask the guys claiming consoles are holding PC back to provide examples of impressive PC exclusives.

you know there's truth in it when the actual guys responsible for making games to begin with are providing the argument:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/75489740
Not being able to land shoryuken consistently on one method of input as opposed to another is a matter of preference - zedzilla
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#60
Connora711 posted...
I like it how people seem to forget that games are way better optimized for console's. I'm not picking side's here or anything because I have both a PC and a Xbox one. I'm just pointing out the facts that even if a PC had better hardware than the Xbox one x the Xbox one x can and sometimes WILL perform the equivalent to an PC SOLELY because developers can squeeze every inch of power out of it to use it.

But the thing is, that hasn't been practical for a studio to do for over a decade now, which is why, time and again, consoles fail to outperform even weaker PC GPUs in many cases.
You can boast about the possibilities of optimization, but in the face of the raw data that is benchmarking, things don't really seem to follow your ideals.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived