This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 months ago#71
Bro, I'm a PC dude but I'm also not stupid enough to realize that the whole OS for the system is DEDICATED to one or two programs at a time.

While yes, it's still garbo hardware, straight middle of the line "gaming pcs" aren't top of the line s*** either.

Never heard anyone say that the scorpio is going to slay any kind of high to top end pcs.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 months ago#72
ArkonBlade posted...
People who obviously know nothing about how CPU's work.

That crap CPU the XOX has is going to be nothing but a bottleneck.

wrong. Games are crafted to target 30 or 60fps depending on the direction of the game. 60fps games are programmed so that the console's CPU can handle the cycles.

https://youtu.be/qfylKBffM4U?t=45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7uXLWY8Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U_VTqGNF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlbRwEayT0

https://youtu.be/BuRPQiwhwhc?t=6m40s
https://youtu.be/PTd8r4p7l4g?t=7m35s

See the difference between the two? 30fps looks way better than 60fps. When you're talking about "cpu bottleneck" you're still looking at it from PC point of view. There's only a CPU bottleneck because you're trying to run ALL games at 60fps. Not all games were originally programmed to run at 60fps (for ex: Assassin's Creed Syndicate). It takes extra CPU power to run these games at 60. If you have a substandard CPU, these games will not run at 60fps even if the GPU overpowers the game and/or details are massively lowered.

I have a console equivalent PC and so running the majority of games at their original settings & res poses no problem for me. Those games I posted that run at 60 run without a problem and games that run on 30 runs just fine. There is no bottleneck you see? There's only a bottleneck if you're trying to do more & that's fine if that's your preference or if you have the $ for it.

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 months ago#73
It's wishful thinking.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#74
All I got from this thread is mount and blade 2 looks amazing.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: jorhead

jorhead
3 months ago#75
Part of the issue is the wife and kid are console gamers vs me switching over to PC, so they are always bugging me about the latest and greatest in console gaming.
XBL GT is Ruthless4u

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
3 months ago#76
steve_madsci posted...
An RX 480 with no dedicated RAM and a tablet CPU.

Any desktop with a 480 (or a 970) will out perform the the XboneX on these merits alone.

People defend their consoles either out of ignorance or for reassurance

fanboy will always defend their console. pony will defend pro tiny upgrade not worth 400. xbot will defend xboneX so called premium console without removable internal hdd.

pc > console

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#77
randomoaf posted...
See the difference between the two? 30fps looks way better than 60fps. When you're talking about "cpu bottleneck" you're still looking at it from PC point of view. There's only a CPU bottleneck because you're trying to run ALL games at 60fps. Not all games were originally programmed to run at 60fps (for ex: Assassin's Creed Syndicate). It takes extra CPU power to run these games at 60. If you have a substandard CPU, these games will not run at 60fps even if the GPU overpowers the game and/or details are massively lowered.

I have a console equivalent PC and so running the majority of games at their original settings & res poses no problem for me. Those games I posted that run at 60 run without a problem and games that run on 30 runs just fine. There is no bottleneck you see? There's only a bottleneck if you're trying to do more & that's fine if that's your preference or if you have the $ for it.

The consoles are definitely bottlenecked by those mobile-derived CPUs, as in they are forcing developers to either tone down certain aspects of their games or lock to a lower framerate because the overall performance is being hampered by the GPU having to wait on the CPU for gamestate updates. I understand WHY they chose the Jaguar CPUs for the consoles (cost, heat, size, volume discount etc.), but just because you can modify a game/engine to skirt a bottleneck, doesn't mean it's any less of a hindrance. Multiple developers have commented on the CPUs in the consoles at one point or another.

Also, your SWB footage is very clearly running at 60 FPS, which is not surprising as DICE made map-by-map setting tweaks to ensure consistent performane on consoles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-star-wars-battlefront-face-off

"Moving beyond image quality, how do the rest of the visuals stack up on each platform? Well, in an effort to optimise Battlefront for performance on consoles DICE has taken a rather nuanced approach. Rather than simply opting for a general preset based on the PC version, the evidence suggests that DICE has customised the console versions on a per-map basis. In one map, a variable could match the PC's high setting while, in another map, we'd see something that was lower than low."

"When it comes to performance, we feel DICE has made all the right moves. Star Wars: Battlefront operates at a very steady 60fps on both platforms. It is not locked, but it comes very close to delivering this top-end experience. To put it into perspective, Battlefront runs more consistently than most Call of Duty titles and comes reasonably close to matching the likes of Halo 5 or Metal Gear Solid 5."
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#78
DarkZV2Beta posted...
In terms of raw calculations, those old laptop i3s still kick consoles around in terms of single threaded performance, which matters a lot when you're writing code that needs to be interactive and responsive.
If not for consoles, we'd basically have AMD's FX series as the lowest common denominator here, and that's still a good... ~6x faster or so? Given the Jaguar cores are more in line with K8, and Piledriver is closer to K10/K10.5, plus the more than doubled clockspeeds. And then there's the fact that, though CPU technology has slowed considerably because of AMD's stagnation, Sandy is still six years old, and a large enough portion of the market is running a Sandy i5 or better that developers could expect that kind of processor as a baseline for good performance.

Okay I knew console CPUs were behind, but I'm surprised it's that extreme.

I'm not one to complain about things 'holding things back' because I think the minimum requirements being kept in check is a good thing to keep the potential customer market large, however hopefully next iteration they make a more significant CPU jump.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 months ago#79
Because peasants will do anything to be equal to kings.

Fact is, it isn't as good as a PC. No console will ever match high end PCs.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: Waytoodeep03

Waytoodeep03
3 months ago#80
What does the added power of the Xox matter when games will be coded to the lowest denominator which is the original xbox one.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do people keep considering the Xbox One X to be equal to modern PC gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived