This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

User Info: nuke2099

nuke2099
3 months ago#31
Ryyaann_Is_Band posted...
2018 release, right?

Q1 yes.
Gamertag: Nuke2099

User Info: Critcal50

Critcal50
3 months ago#32
SgtFoley posted...
Darth_Kamcio posted...
Sum_quod_eris posted...
Fanatics get pissy whenever a series stuck in its own formula decides to get with the times.

And casuals nowadays need everything to be spoon-fed to them and throw a tantrum when they are not.

>implying Monster Hunter is casual in any way

Spoon fed how? Like seeing upgrade paths before hand? Or seeing damage numbers?

Because spending a good hour or so grinding to get a weapon and then you find out its not the one you wanted is always great. And then having to waste another hour or even more to make the weapon and upgrade it to get it back to where you wanted.

Or being unsure of what part is the most damaging for a monster. There really is no way to tell. Too many times I have some tryhard vet come in insisting we attack a specific part claiming it does a ton more damage. Or someone insisting we detonate bombs with a specific weapon because it amplifies the damage done. It ends the annoying arguements.
EVGA GTX 970 SC | i5-6600k | Corsair 8 x 2 DDR4 | ASUS Z170A | NZXT Phantom 410

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#33
Critcal50 posted...
Or being unsure of what part is the most damaging for a monster. There really is no way to tell. Too many times I have some tryhard vet come in insisting we attack a specific part claiming it does a ton more damage. Or someone insisting we detonate bombs with a specific weapon because it amplifies the damage done. It ends the annoying arguements.

Oh jeez, knowing that would be good too.
I hate that feeling of fighting a new monster and not having any clue if I'm hitting it right. Is slashing it working? Should I have brought something blunt? Does hitting it in the legs hurt more, or should I aim for the face? I'm aiming for the face now but...am I wasting my time?

Sometimes I've looked up a monster's damage chart and realised I'm going about it entirely wrong.

Again, there's a difference between learning something from trial and error and having information obfuscated from the player.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: ProfessorKukui

ProfessorKukui
3 months ago#34
Dragon Nexus posted...
Critcal50 posted...

Oh jeez, knowing that would be good too.
I hate that feeling of fighting a new monster and not having any clue if I'm hitting it right. Is slashing it working? Should I have brought something blunt? Does hitting it in the legs hurt more, or should I aim for the face? I'm aiming for the face now but...am I wasting my time?

Sometimes I've looked up a monster's damage chart and realised I'm going about it entirely wrong.

Again, there's a difference between learning something from trial and error and having information obfuscated from the player.

Ye, if only there was an natural indicator as to whether or not a person is hitting a decent spot, like blood spatter or a shower of sparks. That sure would give a decent gauge to the effectiveness of hits. I understand that it could be a challenge to see in the heat of combat but nonetheless a welcome thing.

Edit - Of course, something like hard armor would also be a natural deterrent & would give knowledge that maybe I shouldn't hit that part as odds are it won't be as effective as the fleshy bits.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
3 months ago#35
Dragon Nexus posted...
MuttonBasher posted...
If you enjoy the narratives in MH, be warned that Generations has none.

Oh wow...I'd heard the narrative was weaker since it's more of a side story of beating monsters from various places as a sort of clip show episode in game form, but I didn't realise it was non-existent.

I thought they'd at least have some vague framing device to give context or something. That's pretty disappointing. I guess I'll stick to MH4 for the time being then.

the framing device is the same as it's always been, for MH: You're a newbie hunter fresh from *coughmutterum*. There's monsters afoot. Start with the carvin'.

Though if there's some huge menace that shows up like how the Lao or the Ceadeus or etc were treated in previous games, I haven't run into it so far.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#36
ProfessorKukui posted...
Of course, something like hard armor would also be a natural deterrent & would give knowledge that maybe I shouldn't hit that part as odds are it won't be as effective as the fleshy bits.

Yeah, I'm not an idiot dude, I understand that a weapon bouncing off a part with a clang doesn't mean I'm doing critical hits.

That said, elemental and status weaknesses aren't clearly apparent either. Not to mention the blood spatter thing isn't explained in game. This is sort of the problem people are talking about, so much of this knowledge is "You just know" or "That's how it's always been" so those who've played for years take it for granted that everyone knows. We don't.

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
3 months ago#37
Dragon Nexus posted...
ProfessorKukui posted...
Of course, something like hard armor would also be a natural deterrent & would give knowledge that maybe I shouldn't hit that part as odds are it won't be as effective as the fleshy bits.

Yeah, I'm not an idiot dude, I understand that a weapon bouncing off a part with a clang doesn't mean I'm doing critical hits.

That said, elemental and status weaknesses aren't clearly apparent either. Not to mention the blood spatter thing isn't explained in game. This is sort of the problem people are talking about, so much of this knowledge is "You just know" or "That's how it's always been" so those who've played for years take it for granted that everyone knows. We don't.

Really the only way to know elemental weaknesses was to look at the armor set without going online to look at hitzones.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
3 months ago#38
Dragon Nexus posted...
those who've played for years take it for granted that everyone knows. We don't.

I got lucky in my first MH and was "adopted" by an experienced player who showed me the ropes. It was great having all these mysteries explained and then demonstrated -- going out to hunt and gradually reducing our time as we tried different methods. It culminated in speedruns that were exhilarating. I've tried to pass on the tradition, though most people aren't interested. It's sad that so many veteran players do nothing but give new players a hard time. MH is a very deep game. Being introduced to it through mentorship was awesome.
You found a stardrop! It's strange, but the taste reminds you of Shane. Your maximum energy level has increased.

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#39
I was the same, I got MH Tri as a freebie, if I remember right. Had a friend who'd been playing MH for years and helped me with a great jaggi even as my great sword was uselessly bouncing off it and I got smacked around hating every moment...until he suggested I swap to SnS for a while.

We kinda drifted a part after a whie, but he'd done enough to introduce me to the game and tutorialise it that I was already hooked. I can always dip into the games and slay a few monsters and get some pleasure from it.

I just need to get out of this addiction to lances. In MH Tri I'd swap weapons a lot. I learned how to use the longsword effectively, occasionally went Lance but mostly I'd use the Switch Axe (I thought really well, but I've since learned I was doing it badly). But I slowly gravitated towards the lance and just...stuck with it. 99.9% of my battles in Mh4 are with lance. I should really give the big sword and shield thing a go. I've forgotten its name, that new thing...it looked cool but complicated. I should change up since Lance is kinda bog standard.

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
3 months ago#40
Uh... so how playable* will this be solo? I have no intention of ever playing with anyone so, yeah.

*(best guess, no idea if it's going to be rather different from previous ones and don't know anything about the series)
'Ahn~ It's so loud I can't sleep~!' Lily White said, suddenly awaking.
How great the power of yuri was that it could even neutralise poison!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived