This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
1 month ago#41
define "playable", 'cos you can always 1-man stuff given the right preparations.

preparations being anywhere from "alright just auto-farm healing/buffing crap while doing easier missions" to "you need a full stock of status ailment crap, the proper weapon (which will take hours to create and upgrade), the proper armors (which will take hours if not days to create and upgrade) and enough material to make like fifteen full rounds of barrel bombs (which will take hours to farm)"

granted the newer games have toned down on the overgrind parts a lot, but the ol' desire sensor is just series tradition at this point.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: Sum_quod_eris

Sum_quod_eris
1 month ago#42
Hopefully World will cut down some of the unnecessary grinding. Just being able to see what your weapon can be upgraded to will save quite a bit of time for beginners.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Caidezes | http://www.goodreads.com/Caidezes | http://www.last.fm/user/Caidezes

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 month ago#43
Dragon Nexus posted...
I hate that feeling of fighting a new monster and not having any clue if I'm hitting it right.

But that's the point. You're not supposed to know. You're encountering a huge monster for the first time and you're supposed to get that feeling of "how the hell am I going to kill this thing!?" Through observation and experimentation you find openings, and by paying attention to the feedback the game gives you with flinches and staggers (as well as the visual design of the monster--armored/thick areas are not good targets,) you develop a sense of where your weapon is effective. This is what sets Monster Hunter apart from other games; the combat is organic.

Now imagine if the game highlighted the weak zones for you and told you precisely how much damage you were doing with each attack. Throw in a health bar for the monster as well. Now you don't have to pay attention because the game tells you exactly what you want to know. You don't have to really learn, so there's little sense of discovery and personal growth. And when you topple the monster it's that much less satisfying because it wasn't about you triumphing in the face of what seemed like insurmountable odds, but about you following the game's instructions to receive your trophy.

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
1 month ago#44
Voidgolem posted...
define "playable", 'cos you can always 1-man stuff given the right preparations.

preparations being anywhere from "alright just auto-farm healing/buffing crap while doing easier missions" to "you need a full stock of status ailment crap, the proper weapon (which will take hours to create and upgrade), the proper armors (which will take hours if not days to create and upgrade) and enough material to make like fifteen full rounds of barrel bombs (which will take hours to farm)"

granted the newer games have toned down on the overgrind parts a lot, but the ol' desire sensor is just series tradition at this point.

Ah, right. I'm not real sure, hard to think of a way to explain it since I haven't really played anything co-op that might need other people other than Borderlands 2 at UVHM.

I guess generally is co-op needed for most of the content, does it scale with more players or is it static and just some stuff is intended to be done with multiple people?
Sounds like I could do most of it solo but some stuff (I guess the huge ass monsters?) will take a while to slog through.
'Ahn~ It's so loud I can't sleep~!' Lily White said, suddenly awaking.
How great the power of yuri was that it could even neutralise poison!

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
1 month ago#45
Massaca posted...

I guess generally is co-op needed for most of the content, does it scale with more players or is it static and just some stuff is intended to be done with multiple people?
Sounds like I could do most of it solo but some stuff (I guess the huge ass monsters?) will take a while to slog through.

Traditionally there are Village/offline Quests which are all intended to be done solo (or solo + Palico AI helper(s)), and Guild/City/Etc quests, which are scaled for 4 actual people (leading back into "it can be done solo, but since the monster has Four Dude HP you're in for a rough time"). Those can -also- be done offline, but there's a clear delineation so you can't really get the two confused.

Not to say World can't shake up the formula, but that's how it's worked in the past.

in terms of content, it's generally offline goes up to one major threat as a sort of 'final boss' (e.g. Rathalos or Monoblos in MH1, Ceadeus in MH3), and Online/Guild/Etc has, y'know, basically everything with the health scaled up for extra dudes and a bunch of other monsters you wouldn't see in offline (Lao, Fatalis, Jhen, Alatreon, assorted subspecies, etc.)

The more recent games have again kinda skewed this a bit.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
1 month ago#46
Ah so those are scaled even if you don't have the extra people. Sounds alright, thanks mate.
'Ahn~ It's so loud I can't sleep~!' Lily White said, suddenly awaking.
How great the power of yuri was that it could even neutralise poison!

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#47
I winder if it would be possible to dynamically scale the monster's health depending on the number of players?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#48
It's possible and even standard in some games. I know next to nothing about this series however. The possible question is definitely though. Guild Wars 2 is one example where that is a significant factor.

User Info: nuke2099

nuke2099
1 month ago#49
Voxwik posted...
It's possible and even standard in some games. I know next to nothing about this series however. The possible question is definitely though. Guild Wars 2 is one example where that is a significant factor.

MH has never had health scale to the players. Singleplayer is set and multiplayer is set to 2-4 players by default.
Gamertag: Nuke2099

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 weeks ago#50
DaedalusEx posted...
Now imagine if the game highlighted the weak zones for you and told you precisely how much damage you were doing with each attack.

Highlighting weak zones would be against the spirit of the game, I feel, but damage numbers don't bother me.
I mean, I'd probably turn them off because they'd be in the way of the fight, I imagine. But if someone else wants them as a measure of how well they're doing, I've no issue with it.

But you're using a lot of examples that I didn't say. It's a bit of a reach going from "The feedback on damage is lacking" to "Well let's just have health bars and have the game guide your weapon for you TELL YOU WHAT LET'S JUST MAKE THE GAME PLAY ITSELF!" hysteria.

If they add options to the game to show more information, I'm absolutely down with that. Making MH more accessible will open it to a broader audience.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived