This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
2 months ago#51
Dragon Nexus posted...
Making MH more accessible will open it to a broader audience.

You'd think a fan of the series would welcome change that makes it easier for newcomers while still retaining the core gameplay. Everything I've seen looks like the Monster Hunter I know and love but finally making use of powerful hardware in relation to what they've used in the past.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
2 months ago#52
nuke2099 posted...
MH has never had health scale to the players. Singleplayer is set and multiplayer is set to 2-4 players by default.

^This. And for the first time in the franchise, there is no dedicated single-player content. Every quest can either be done solo or multi, with no change to monster health, attacks, etc.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#53
Dragon Nexus posted...
Highlighting weak zones would be against the spirit of the game, I feel, but damage numbers don't bother me.

Damage numbers are as much against the spirit of the game as highlighting weak zones. It might seem minor in comparison, but this is how it starts. Every change that goes against the spirit of the game makes the next one easier to accept. Do you think they're going to remove damage numbers in future MH titles? No, this feature is here to stay. People are going to get used to it, and then highlighting weak zones doesn't seem like such an extreme change. And people are going to make the exact same arguments being made here to defend it: "it will make it easier for newcomers," "providing the player with more information is a good thing," "it's optional, if you don't like it you can turn it off," etc.

it_r_over9000 posted...
You'd think a fan of the series would welcome change that makes it easier for newcomers while still retaining the core gameplay.

Expanding the player base is not a good thing. We were all newcomers once, and somehow we managed to pick up and enjoy the game without seeing damage numbers. If someone is going to put down the game because they can't see how much damage they're doing, then this series isn't for them. Those types of players are a cancer, and the more you allow in the more future design decisions are going to be made with them in mind.

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
2 months ago#54
^This, all of this.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#55
DaedalusEx posted...
Expanding the player base is not a good thing.

Oh shush.
"This is MY club house! No girls allowed!"

DaedalusEx posted...
If someone is going to put down the game because they can't see how much damage they're doing, then this series isn't for them

Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't just get on the adult bike and ride down the hill unscathed on their first attempt. Maybe some people want to start with training wheels while they learn.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
2 months ago#56
we call the training wheels 1* quests 'round these parts.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
2 months ago#57
Sorry, I want more people to play the game. I want more people to buy it so Capcom will bring more Monster Hunter to the west. Making the series more approachable to newcomers is part of that. I'm tired of looking up weapon trees and s*** online or through apps that I have to download. I've had to do it for 5 games now. We aren't limited by mobile hardware anymore so it's a perfect time to do it.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#58
Dragon Nexus posted...
Oh shush.
"This is MY club house! No girls allowed!"

I'd much rather the information was available outside of normal hunts. For damage numbers, there could be training dummies. For weakspots, detailed descriptions in the hunter notes.

Just giving new players stuff on a silver platter will be unlikely to encourage them to self-improve. I've witnessed several "casualizations" of games and "give them a finger and they'll take the whole hand" went full effect in most cases.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: Grischnak

Grischnak
2 months ago#59
I swear, Monster Hunter fans make Dark Souls fans look reasonable in comparison. Lets be real here with all this "what sets Monster Hunter apart from other games is that the combat is organic" bulls***, MHXX comes out on the Switch in about 36 hours and guess what? I already have my MHXX dex downloaded and ready to go so it can tell me exactly what monsters drop what, what elemental weaknesses they have, what the weak spots on their bodies are, etc, etc. And I'm hardly the only one that does this. Looking up s*** like that is pretty standard in the community. Tell me: What the f*** is organic about that? How is looking up a weak spot in a program/website somehow more true to the spirit of the game then damage numbers telling me that on the fly? Because it's obtuse and because figuring out obtuse gameplay is a sign of a having a huge e-peen? Give me a f***ing break. Almost all of the anti-MHW nonsense is just a bunch of crybaby elitist bulls***. Most of the improvements I've seen look like they'll make the game more fun and that's all I care about. See, I play games for fun and not so I can put other people down for being more casual then me. I'm f***ing weird like that.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#60
Grischnak posted...
Tell me: What the f*** is organic about that?

The fact that real world is not augmented reality, I'd guess.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived