This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
3 months ago#61
Grischnak posted...
I swear, Monster Hunter fans make Dark Souls fans look reasonable in comparison. Lets be real here with all this "what sets Monster Hunter apart from other games is that the combat is organic" bulls***, MHXX comes out on the Switch in about 36 hours and guess what? I already have my MHXX dex downloaded and ready to go so it can tell me exactly what monsters drop what, what elemental weaknesses they have, what the weak spots on their bodies are, etc, etc. And I'm hardly the only one that does this. Looking up s*** like that is pretty standard in the community. Tell me: What the f*** is organic about that? How is looking up a weak spot in a program/website somehow more true to the spirit of the game then damage numbers telling me that on the fly? Because it's obtuse and because figuring out obtuse gameplay is a sign of a having a huge e-peen? Give me a f***ing break. Almost all of the anti-MHW nonsense is just a bunch of crybaby elitist bulls***. Most of the improvements I've seen look like they'll make the game more fun and that's all I care about. See, I play games for fun and not so I can put other people down for being more casual then me. I'm f***ing weird like that.

I'm almost willing to bet these people railing against the changes haven't even played any recent games. I know for a fact that one of them hasn't. I don't even want to think about the amount of time I've spent over the years researching weapon trees, hit zones, quest rewards, etc. And all this stuff is is information. These guys keep going on and on about how the game is somehow easier because you can see damage numbers and this, that, and the other thing but at the end of the day you still have to be able to land your hits on the right spots and not get hit.

From watching actual hunting footage from Gamescom, the fighting looks just like it always has, with aggressive monsters and punishing hits for being greedy or sloppy. And the new sound effects I've heard from landing blows feels more satisfying than it ever has in the previous games. The music is exactly what I would expect from this series, and the new visuals are incredible. Basically, it's the same f***ing game I've loved over the last several years but with many much needed changes to make it fresh again for me.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#62
Darth_Kamcio posted...
Just giving new players stuff on a silver platter will be unlikely to encourage them to self-improve.

And obfuscating information isn't a way to retain player interest if they don't even know if they're being effective.

I'm not saying these kinds of features should be pushed on everyone if they don't want it, but adding options is never a bad thing.

Grischnak posted...
I already have my MHXX dex downloaded and ready to go so it can tell me exactly what monsters drop what, what elemental weaknesses they have, what the weak spots on their bodies are, etc, etc. And I'm hardly the only one that does this. Looking up s*** like that is pretty standard in the community. Tell me: What the f*** is organic about that?

I remember something similar being my complaint for FFXII back in the day and a lot of similar JRPGs. Without a guide to look up online you'd miss a lot of stuff. Things that are hidden not necessarily for the player to find, but for the player to read about in the guide you had to go out and buy.

Again, obfuscating information from the player is just being dickish. And again, having options to tailor the gaming experience to your needs is not a bad thing. Sure I'd be grumpy if suddenly MH had glowing weak points I couldn't turn off, but if it's an option...I'll turn it off, more than likely. But I'm not going to harumph about a newbie player who has them turned on because they want an idea of how to use the weapon they have.

Imagine discovering the hammer weapon and simply assuming that it would do the same kind of damage as the great sword they were using because they're so new as to not understand the difference between slashing and bludgeoning damage. They keep hitting the flank of the monster wondering why it feels worse somehow and there's no obvious feedback for it.

It's very easy when you're a vet in a game to completely forget about your experience as a completely new player.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
3 months ago#63
Wait are people b****ing about monster info, like weaknesses and drops, being available in game?

Who the f*** played MH without looking things up? The entire game is based on preparing yourself for a hunt.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
3 months ago#64
Dragon Nexus posted...
And obfuscating information isn't a way to retain player interest if they don't even know if they're being effective.

Don't get me wrong, I find the damage numbers to be a very welcome change nonetheless. Before it was introduced, the only way to get damage values was to datamine or to kick monsters to death. This kind of effort is not reasonable, so I don't mind it that much. However using the damage values it's extremely easy to figure out what the weakspots on a monster are (and it already kinda was thanks to the special effects), so I don't find the weakspot-highlighting feature necessary.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: Sum_quod_eris

Sum_quod_eris
3 months ago#65
Grischnak posted...
I swear, Monster Hunter fans make Dark Souls fans look reasonable in comparison.

Reminds me of the uproar when Dark Souls 3 info first came about. People lost it because the seires was being "casualized" and would end up in the dumps.

Then the game was released and did great both critically and in terms of sales. The problems it did have had nothing to do with the streamlining.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Caidezes | http://www.goodreads.com/Caidezes | http://www.last.fm/user/Caidezes

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
3 months ago#66
it_r_over9000 posted...
Sorry, I want more people to play the game. I want more people to buy it so Capcom will bring more Monster Hunter to the west. Making the series more approachable to newcomers is part of that.

You just don't get it. The reason you can even find the Monster Hunter experience in today's market is because it didn't try to broaden its appeal. If Capcom tried to make Monster Hunter a blockbuster in the West from the outset it would've been lost in the sea of generic AAA action titles and you wouldn't have ever gotten to experience the game that you did.

On one hand, you claim to be a fan, but on the other you're asking to remove the very thing that allowed MH as we know it to be born and survive. I'm sure MH:W will be wildly successful and will result in more MH games coming to the west, but with each successive installment it will lose more and more of its soul until, just like Resident Evil, it's MH in name only.

Grischnak posted...
Tell me: What the f*** is organic about that?

How you choose to play the game is not the same as the game itself.

Dragon Nexus posted...

And yet MH has retained player interest thus far despite "obfuscating" information. How do you explain that?

Sum_quod_eris posted...
Reminds me of the uproar when Dark Souls 3 info first came about. People lost it because the seires was being "casualized" and would end up in the dumps.

Reminds me of when it was announced that Miyazaki wouldn't be directing Dark Souls 2. People began worrying that the new directors wouldn't have the same artistic vision and misunderstand what the series was about and... that's exactly what happened.

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
3 months ago#67
There's a difference between getting better at introducing the game's complex mechanics to new people and dumbing the game down so that lazy players don't have to learn anything. 4U had excellent tutorial dialog and help menus -- leagues better than anything in Tri or 3U -- and newbs were still doing dumb stuff online: triple carting from low defense, mixing armor with no active skills, not charging weapons, etc.

MHW seems to be trying the other angle -- unlimited farcasters (fast travel), gear swapping during quests, no single-player content, and partial skill bonuses for all those players who can't count to ten. I'm happy to see skill-trees in game, but the hand-holding is starting to sound ridiculous. I don't want the franchise to lose what makes it awesome -- its incredible depth and challenge -- just to make it more popular.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress

User Info: Grischnak

Grischnak
3 months ago#68
DaedalusEx posted...
How you choose to play the game is not the same as the game itself.

Oh give me a break with that. Damn near everyone uses Kiranico and similar things and has for a very long time. Ironically, the only people that really don't use things like that are your oh-so-hated "casuals". Weaknesses are not a secret and there is no reason to hide damage numbers. Keeping things like damage numbers and weapon trees hidden makes the game worse not better.

MuttonBasher posted...
There's a difference between getting better at introducing the game's complex mechanics to new people and dumbing the game down so that lazy players don't have to learn anything. 4U had excellent tutorial dialog and help menus -- leagues better than anything in Tri or 3U -- and newbs were still doing dumb stuff online: triple carting from low defense, mixing armor with no active skills, not charging weapons, etc.

MHW seems to be trying the other angle -- unlimited farcasters (fast travel), gear swapping during quests, no single-player content, and partial skill bonuses for all those players who can't count to ten. I'm happy to see skill-trees in game, but the hand-holding is starting to sound ridiculous. I don't want the franchise to lose what makes it awesome -- its incredible depth and challenge -- just to make it more popular.

And yet nothing you listed is actually hand holding. Things like limited farcasters, no gear swapping and no partial skill bonuses did/does not make Monster Hunter more fun in any way, shape or form. Nor did they have anything to do with player skill. They just make the game more awkward to play. I mean, you're going to tell me that wasting time running around because you don't have a farcaster somehow makes the game more fun or skill intensive? ...Come on. Not every single change is a dumbing down of a game. Some mechanics are s*** and should be improved.

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
3 months ago#69
Grischnak posted...
And yet nothing you listed is actually hand holding.

This is the difference between MH and most other games. Knowing how to prepare for a quest is part of the mastery you develop as you play and practice and improve. As the developers take more and more of those important choices away from players, the game becomes easier, hunts less intense, mistakes cheaper to make -- and victories less satisfying.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress

User Info: Grischnak

Grischnak
3 months ago#70
MuttonBasher posted...
This is the difference between MH and most other games. Knowing how to prepare for a quest is part of the mastery you develop as you play and practice and improve. As the developers take more and more of those important choices away from players, the game becomes easier, hunts less intense, mistakes cheaper to make -- and victories less satisfying.

That really doesn't address most of my point. Farcasters have nothing to do with preparing for a hunt nor do partial skills. An infinite farcaster ability just makes the game more fluid and cuts down on boredom. Period. How anyone can consider that a negative is baffling to me. And being able to use partial skills allows for far more gear customization which in turn adds complexity to the game. It does quite the opposite of dumbing down the game.

All your point really addresses is gear swapping and, frankly, all gear swapping is going to do is going to give you the option to hunt rare monsters that you might run into on your quest that you otherwise wouldn't have a chance at hunting. For example, if I'm hunting a Ceanatuar with a Thunder element weapon and I happen to run into a Kirin. Under the current system fighting the Kirin is going to be a pain in the ass and it has nothing to do with how prepared you were when you started the mission. But under the new system you can actually hunt the Kirin effectively. That's an improvement to me. I really don't see a downside to that. I enjoy the challenge of MH but lessening needless frustration does not make the series worse.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived