This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#71
DaedalusEx posted...
And yet MH has retained player interest thus far despite "obfuscating" information. How do you explain that?

You're talking player retention. I'm talking player growth.
It's one thing to have a game series with a fanatical legion of fans devoted to it who shun any changes to the forumla...but such games go no-where.

How are you meant to lure new people in if they have to deal with ten years of accumulated knowledge as a stumbling block?

MuttonBasher posted...
mixing armor with no active skills

Even in MH4 the whole armour skills thing is really poorly explained. It's one of the common questions I see being asked because it's really not intuitive.

DaedalusEx posted...
You just don't get it. The reason you can even find the Monster Hunter experience in today's market is because it didn't try to broaden its appeal. If Capcom tried to make Monster Hunter a blockbuster in the West from the outset it would've been lost in the sea of generic AAA action titles and you wouldn't have ever gotten to experience the game that you did.

That's a bit of a leap in both conclusions and in what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying they need to ultra casualise the game and make it like...I dunno...God of War or something. Nor do I think that would benefit anything, we have enough of those hack and slashers.

My point is more about inclusion rather than suggesting dumbing down. Again...OPTIONS.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#72
Grischnak posted...
Weaknesses are not a secret and there is no reason to hide damage numbers. Keeping things like damage numbers and weapon trees hidden makes the game worse not better.

Is there a reason to hide the monster's health? To not highlight weakspots? Should the game also show hitboxes and framedata? Players look all of these things up. Where do you draw the line?

Dragon Nexus posted...
How are you meant to lure new people in if they have to deal with ten years of accumulated knowledge as a stumbling block?

Not every game needs to appeal to everyone.

My point is more about inclusion rather than suggesting dumbing down.

They're one and the same. In order to include more people (past a certain point) you have to lower the common denominator. That's true for anything.

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
2 months ago#73
DaedalusEx posted...
On one hand, you claim to be a fan, but on the other you're asking to remove the very thing that allowed MH as we know it to be born and survive.

I'm not asking for anything to be removed. You keep making these huge leaps in logic that somehow because I like that weapon trees being shown, damage hitzones being more apparent because of damage numbers, among other things, that somehow I want everything that made the series what it is removed or turned into CoD or some s***.

I'm praising the series being more approachable for potential newcomers and less time consuming for things like figuring out what weapon to craft so it's not useless later on down the line. And you keep sitting here questioning my love for the game when I've played more of it than you have and can actually appreciate what they've done after dealing with things like 140 Guild Quests against Apex Rajang or Apex Deviljho. Or level 10 deviant monsters. All of which have differences from their normal counterparts which become apparent mid hunt.

The gameplay is still the same. You still hit the monster until it dies and don't get hit. That hasn't changed. The game isn't magically easier like you keep saying it is because of what they've done. The gameplay is still the same core gameplay but certain confusing mechanics have been thankfully clarified and streamlined. If you can't appreciate it then don't buy it. But I've said it before and I'll say it again and I hope this time it sticks. Don't f***ing question my love for this series again.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Grischnak

Grischnak
2 months ago#74
DaedalusEx posted...
Is there a reason to hide the monster's health? To not highlight weakspots? Should the game also show hitboxes and framedata? Players look all of these things up. Where do you draw the line?

Knowing a monster's health is, frankly, pretty worthless. It doesn't really help in any way. I guess you could argue that it might make capturing monsters a bit easier but it's generally pretty obvious when a monster is low on health. Highlighting weakspots wouldn't really work with the UI in Monster Hunter. I really don't know how they would implement it without making the UI all weird. I guess they could have some sort of magic vision like in Toukiden 2 but that doesn't really make sense lore-wise. Even if they somehow put something like that in however, I really don't see how it would make any difference in terms of making the game easier. One way or another, I(and most players) am going to know what parts to attack. Finding this out via in-game info or online info makes little functional difference. As for showing hitboxes and stuff, that's just dumb. There's really nothing else to say to that.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#75
DaedalusEx posted...
They're one and the same. In order to include more people (past a certain point) you have to lower the common denominator. That's true for anything.

They're totally not.
Take damn near any game made from 1995 onwards that has difficulty settings. If you wanna play on the hardest mode, go for it. If not then there's easier modes to do. That's literally all I'm saying. Add tools for inclusion and make them optional for people who don't need or want such things.

All you're arguing for is elitism.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom released a trailer for MH: World's desert zone

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived