This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#1
So I just finished the single player campaign of Titanfall 2 yesterday and while it was good overall, I felt an overwhelming feeling that if the game had been a single player only experience with no multiplayer option it would have been hailed as a new Mechwarrior successor with such depth it would have perhaps got a 10/10 for a great combination of story, characters, gameplay, and missions. etc. Which got me to thinking that I'm sure the whole multiplayer aspect of games like this nowadays is to sell DLC and get "player engagement" as executives would likely say. But by doing this they also essentially get rid of a really good experience by replacing it with playing with your friends and other people that are way too good at the game.

Just makes me feel sad that this is gaming now. Hollow as all hell. Millions of people playing games hollowed out to their bare bones with absolutely nothing else just so they can say "lol pwned you nub" to their friends or randoms and make themselves feel good.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#2
You got it backwards there chief. If it were up to Respawn they wouldn't bother with SP at all. It's basically there for the "hurr durr no SP no buy" crowd.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#3
You got it backwards there chief. If it were up to Respawn they wouldn't bother with SP at all. It's basically there for the "hurr durr no SP no buy" crowd.

But Titanfall 1 had no single player :P So there was an urge to make one somewhere along the line. They could've just put 15 minute tutorial and threw you into MP again but they didn't. So they must've actually wanted to make a campaign. My thought was that having it MP focused instead of SP focused ruined what could have been.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: drivenby

drivenby
3 months ago#4
The single player is great, but as somebody with 200 hours of multiplayer gameplay, I can't agree with you there.

The multiplayer is by far the reason TF2 is loved by so many. Respawn also added a ton of content for free, including coop mode, new titans, new maps, skins, etc.
Posted with GameRaven 3.2.2

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#5
The single player is great, but as somebody with 200 hours of multiplayer gameplay, I can't agree with you there.

The multiplayer is by far the reason TF2 is loved by so many. Respawn also added a ton of content for free, including coop mode, new titans, new maps, skins, etc.

You're still falling for the executive traps, but whatever. You're essentially part of the research group that said "yep, this is the person we're aiming for". And I have no problem with that. But you could've got 200 hours of varied gameplay, storyline, interesting characters, but nope, who cares, I just want to go pew pew pew and shoot some internet losers.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#6
OptimusRekt posted...
So there was an urge to make one somewhere along the line.

Yeah that urge is called the executives saying you WILL make a SP campaign
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#7
I never knew it had a singleplayer mode. If they did a good job with it that's great.

It reminds me of StarCraft really. There are a ton of fans of RTS games that don't care about the multiplayer. The fact multiplayer is extremely popular in comparison doesn't negate that fact.

It also reminds me of EA's disgusting handling of Mass Effect: Andromeda. A game in an RPG series for which it's rumored (if not confirmed) that they only plan to support the multiplayer with additional content.

I really despise when multiplayer gets in the way of single player (or limited coop) content in a series that wasn't all about the multiplayer originally. That complaint can't exist for a game like Titanfall though since it started multiplayer, so I'm glad to see the opposite happen rather than yet another devolution.

I guess time will tell if they pull that off well with the next Star Wars Battlefront. This topic has changed Titanfall 2 from a "not at all interested" game for me to a "I'll be curious to check it out some day possibly."

User Info: Demon_Hunter94

Demon_Hunter94
3 months ago#8
EA forced them to add a campaign because of the backlash from the first game. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise and many fans are upset because the multiplayer took a big hit because of the SP.

@Voxwik
You can sign up for a month of EA access for $5. Titanfall 2 just got added and even if you don't like the multiplayer the SP is worth checking out for that cheap.
Not changing this Sig until the Dallas Stars Win the Cup
Started 7/10/11

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
3 months ago#9
Demon_Hunter94 posted...
EA forced them to add a campaign because of the backlash from the first game. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise and many fans are upset because the multiplayer took a big hit because of the SP.

This. It was do to "Fan Feedback"... MP was great for BT.....Jack not so much.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Titanfall 2, For Honor, Mirrors Edge, Trails in The Sky.

User Info: Rud3Bwoy

Rud3Bwoy
3 months ago#10
titan fall 2 is mp is where the game shines one of my games of all time,tho i heard everyone say the story for tf 2 was great even tho i never bothered for some odd reason
Glorious 4K Master Race
https://valid.x86.fr/n6zhcp Rig Specs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived