This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#11
OptimusRekt posted...
So I just finished the single player campaign of Titanfall 2 yesterday and while it was good overall, I felt an overwhelming feeling that if the game had been a single player only experience with no multiplayer option it would have been hailed as a new Mechwarrior successor with such depth it would have perhaps got a 10/10 for a great combination of story, characters, gameplay, and missions. etc. Which got me to thinking that I'm sure the whole multiplayer aspect of games like this nowadays is to sell DLC and get "player engagement" as executives would likely say. But by doing this they also essentially get rid of a really good experience by replacing it with playing with your friends and other people that are way too good at the game.

Just makes me feel sad that this is gaming now. Hollow as all hell. Millions of people playing games hollowed out to their bare bones with absolutely nothing else just so they can say "lol pwned you nub" to their friends or randoms and make themselves feel good.

Yes. +1

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
3 months ago#12
Most people go into titanfall 2 to play multiplayer. Sure, there are some single player only players out there but if they exist, they bought a single player only game. Not titan fall. Same with COD players, ect. They know what they want and they buy games that cater to that need.
Now, say my name.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#13
I an definitively say that if TF2 lacked a MP component I wouldn't have bought the game. There's a reason I put hundreds of hours into both games, and (obviously in the case of the first one) it wasn't due to the SP. I'm happy they added SP to TF2, and felt that it was fairly well executed. Doubly so when considered as a multiplayer-centric EA title.
OptimusRekt posted...
they also essentially get rid of a really good experience by replacing it with playing with your friends and other people that are way too good at the game.

Just makes me feel sad that this is gaming now. Hollow as all hell. Millions of people playing games hollowed out to their bare bones with absolutely nothing else just so they can say "lol pwned you nub" to their friends or randoms and make themselves feel good.

Maybe multiplayer gaming just isn't for you? Most of the popular MP games, Titanfall 2 included, are far from hollow.

User Info: trooth

trooth
3 months ago#14
No, Titanfall 2 is a great example of an internet circlejerk being opposed to reality.

What they say: Revolutionary twitch shooter that deserves 20 million sales and 800k concurrent players.
The reality: Cobbled together, design-by-committee rehash that's tedious, overcomplicated and deserved its poor sales.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 months ago#15
Played TF1 and mostly enjoyed it.

Played SP of TF2 and really enjoyed it. No interested in buying it to play the multiplayer as I got my fix from the first.
Ryzen 5 1600X @4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#16
"Stop liking what I don't like" the thread
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 months ago#17
Orestes417 posted...
You got it backwards there chief. If it were up to Respawn they wouldn't bother with SP at all. It's basically there for the "hurr durr no SP no buy" crowd.

Demon_Hunter94 posted...
EA forced them to add a campaign because of the backlash from the first game. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise and many fans are upset because the multiplayer took a big hit because of the SP.

That's better than perfectly fine single player franchises suffering a hit because of the "hurr durr no MP no buy" crowd. A lot of SP centric games suffered the tacked-on multiplayer infection.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
3 months ago#18
"Wah, I suck at mp so it's bad" thread
Now, say my name.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#19
Demon_Hunter94 posted...
EA forced them to add a campaign because of the backlash from the first game. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise and many fans are upset because the multiplayer took a big hit because of the SP.

@Voxwik
You can sign up for a month of EA access for $5. Titanfall 2 just got added and even if you don't like the multiplayer the SP is worth checking out for that cheap.

The funny thing here is EA not supporting ME: Andromeda's single player going forward has pushed me away from the company for now.

It's unfortunate if the developers were forced into single player development, but it's nice if they still did a good job with it.

I wouldn't be concerned about them supporting multiplayer unless the game bombs. That seems to be what companies are obsessed about nowadays to get a constant revenue stream. I am not criticizing Titanfall for that of course, considering that's the whole point of the series being made.

I wouldn't skip the game out of pure spite but I just have far more games than I have time to play. The smart thing to do would be to play games in my backlog for the 2-5 years it would probably take me to finish them all. Instead I'm just a bit more picky with what I do buy.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Titanfall 2 is a great example of executives vs. developers

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived