This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

User Info: PSP_H0mebrew

PSP_H0mebrew
3 months ago#1
Now PC gamer and TV Tropes are doing it.

Its not going to work lol.
Everyone wants to know the truth, until they find it.
Montreal Canadiens Fan

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#2
Blocking ads is the epitome of egocentric selfishness. I don't allow popups or runaway scripting but outright blocking all the sources of the ads is willfully denying revenue to websites, which often don't even make enough to cover the costs from ad revenue to begin with.

It is disgusting.

I do, however, dislike when a site acts as if my not allowing runaway scripting is the same thing as blocking ads. There are plenty of sites that display advertising without runaway scripting. The scripting should be on their end, and not on mine.

User Info: Borticus1

Borticus1
3 months ago#3
I resisted using an adblocker for a long time.

I finally relented when websites (Cracked was the big one) began featuring video ads. I'm trying to watch a video on your site, and the ad is playing over it, louder, more annoying and on an infinite loop.

I usually have it paused now, only turning it on when the ads are loud/annoying or screw with the page layout. Which is far too often.
"Your superior intellects are no match for our puny weapons" - Kang

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#4
I do it just so I know I am going on a Forbes News story... to prevent me from reading clickbait... In fact the two sites you mentioned are also clickbait.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
3 months ago#5
f***'em then. I don't need their bulls*** site.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#6
Borticus1 posted...
I resisted using an adblocker for a long time.

I finally relented when websites (Cracked was the big one) began featuring video ads. I'm trying to watch a video on your site, and the ad is playing over it, louder, more annoying and on an infinite loop.

I usually have it paused now, only turning it on when the ads are loud/annoying or screw with the page layout. Which is far too often.

Autoplay has to be one of the dumbest 'features' added in recent times for videos. Putting it on by default is incredibly dumb. It ranks up there with whatever catastrophic chain of logic (or lack thereof) led to allowing websites to vibrate devices without permission.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#7
My favorite activity is loading a newspaper site that tells me to stop ad block then it tells me to subscribe to them or I can't read their story. It's like they want to make money off of me for just luring me into their website.

I also like going to cable television sites and trying to watch a new episode I missed then them complaining about ad block then asking me to either log into my cable provider or that it's not available in my country (like SNL gets blocked one week after airing because US networks think Canadians are all pirates).

PS: When I go to a site that uses ad.fly or something similar and it asks me to stop using ad block, I do it and then it gives me a damn adware virus my antivirus blocks. So yeah, ad block does save you from bad stuff sometimes.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
3 months ago#8
I use an adblocker because advertising became too forward and in my face. Between pop ups, videos, 30 second ads before a video, changing the shape of the webpage, etc, it became too much. It reminds me of the movie Idiocracy when he was watching TV and 80% of the TV was adverts.

If there was some kind of standard and the advertisements were not so obstructive, I'd consider turning it off. But that will never happen.

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
3 months ago#9
i don't watch cable anymore because of commercials and i use adblock . i'm already paying for cable and paying for the internet. i'm all for noninvasive ads.. posters, billboards . but when the stuff gets in the way of what i'm doing then i'll either block it or find another website to use . videos, commercials, etc are the main culprits

User Info: ryouma17

ryouma17
3 months ago#10
soon as websites stop using ads ill stop using adblocker, if they dont like it then its their problem not mine

INB4 oh but they lose revenue, like i said thats their problem they shoulda known what they were getting into when they create the website i shouldnt be forced to get viruses because a website wants to keep the cashflow going
http://i.imgur.com/GIugA1n.gifv
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived