This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
2 months ago#11
If only ads were static pictures of stuff, but there's a lot of really shadey s*** with stuff that try to run scripts, nope, no thanks. What sucks is, it's usually not the site's fault but the people they hire for the ads, so either give them a heads up or fire them first, then a lot of people wouldn't have to rely on adblock.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#12
Voxwik posted...
Blocking ads is the epitome of egocentric selfishness. I don't allow popups or runaway scripting but outright blocking all the sources of the ads is willfully denying revenue to websites, which often don't even make enough to cover the costs from ad revenue to begin with.

It is disgusting.

I do, however, dislike when a site acts as if my not allowing runaway scripting is the same thing as blocking ads. There are plenty of sites that display advertising without runaway scripting. The scripting should be on their end, and not on mine.

Choosing how I consume my content is my right as a form of semi-intelligent life.
Hijacking my PC to shoehorn unsolicited, potentially unsafe content into my normal content consumption, however...

I don't know why the f*** so many people feel the need to go out of their way to apologize for the marketing machine that's actively eroding human rights, pitting demographics against eachother and instigating conflict, and giving nothing meaningful back to the community in any real way.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
2 months ago#13
Voxwik posted...
Blocking ads is the epitome of egocentric selfishness. I don't allow popups or runaway scripting but outright blocking all the sources of the ads is willfully denying revenue to websites, which often don't even make enough to cover the costs from ad revenue to begin with.

It is disgusting.

I do, however, dislike when a site acts as if my not allowing runaway scripting is the same thing as blocking ads. There are plenty of sites that display advertising without runaway scripting. The scripting should be on their end, and not on mine.

And allowing any old ad to take up shop on your site without any screening to the quality or possible interference to the user is gross incompetence at best. Which should not be rewarded with any revenue, let alone ad revenue that allows one to literally do nothing and still generate income, reinforcing s*** behavior with positive rewards, proliferating the entire issue.

When they show they can respect their user base instead of treating them like fraction of a penny cattle, adblock can come off. Since that basically never happens, I'll be blocking them until I'm done with the internet and life in general.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
2 months ago#14
I use Adblock Warning Removal List​ and Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek​ from the ublock origin 3rd party lists and I don't see jack s***.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 | 256GB SSD | HD520

User Info: Perfect Zeratul

Perfect Zeratul
2 months ago#15
lol pc gamer. f*** pc gamer.
God gave man a brain and a ****. Too bad he didn't give us enough blood to use them both @ the same time....

User Info: gideond

gideond
2 months ago#16
ryouma17 posted...
soon as websites stop using ads ill stop using adblocker, if they dont like it then its their problem not mine

INB4 oh but they lose revenue, like i said thats their problem they shoulda known what they were getting into when they create the website i shouldnt be forced to get viruses because a website wants to keep the cashflow going

Agreed. I have no problems with running an ad blocker. I also have ads on my blog and I have no problem with people using an ad blocker when viewing my blog. I try to make sure those ads are targeted and relevant to the article at least (though Google doesn't always make that easy.) I certainly don't depend on ad revenue to make a living.

Ads are by design annoying and obtrusive. I can understand why they are unliked. They are also the biggest avenue of infection these days. How many "trusted" websites have people gotten an infection from because of a shady adserver injecting malicious code? To me it's part of modern day security.

On top of that, never once have I actually clicked on an ad. For me at least, they don't work and serve no purpose. I wouldn't feel the need to run an ad blocker if all ads were like the non-obtrusive Google text ads. Of course those don't draw attention and would seldom ever get clicks.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
2 months ago#17
Voxwik posted...

It is disgusting.

what a maroon. I block absolutely everything because one too many sites make their ads way too intrusive. Taking up the entire page, not closing, causing all kinds of security issues, really loud auto play sound, and some ads making the sites completely unusable. So to avoid encountering any of that, I block them all and don't give 7 f***s
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
2 months ago#18
I like running Sandboxie when not using an ad blocker or a script blocker. It helps keep viruses from unblocked websurfing in a bit better control. But when ads have to be subject to some actual regulation to prevent them from contracting issues from literally just being loaded on a webpage, I'll be more than happy to not block any but the most obnoxious of them.

I'll always block when on a mobile though. Ads (especially video ones) have absolutely no f***ing consideration for data usage.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#19
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Choosing how I consume my content is my right as a form of semi-intelligent life.
Hijacking my PC to shoehorn unsolicited, potentially unsafe content into my normal content consumption, however...

As I said, I do not allow websites to run scripting without permission. I don't oppose that part of it. I oppose blockers that outright block any advertising at all.

sonicteam2k1 posted...
Voxwik posted...

It is disgusting.

what a maroon. I block absolutely everything because one too many sites make their ads way too intrusive. Taking up the entire page, not closing, causing all kinds of security issues, really loud auto play sound, and some ads making the sites completely unusable. So to avoid encountering any of that, I block them all and don't give 7 f***s

Blocking intrusive ads I understand. I think that's a pretty poor excuse to use a service and deny any income whatsoever to the site providing that service, however.

User Info: Madmartagon

Madmartagon
2 months ago#20
Yea plenty of places i no longer go to know do to that i will never remove my adblocker f them
plenty of other web pages out there :)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived