This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

User Info: Hopz_7

Hopz_7
2 months ago#61
The cranky hermit posted...
ZaruenKosai posted...

They get the money whether we look at the ad\commercial or not.

If nobody looked at commercials, do you really think TV stations would still get paid to broadcast them?

You can't seriously believe this do you? If no one watched ads on tv and sponsors dropped them, then cable providers and networks would still get paid through our monthly subscriptions. The only difference is that our subscription price would increase to compensate for the lost revenue and they would drop most of those stupid f***ing channels I'm forced to pay for to have cable but never watch. Sounds like a win win to me.

And as others have said, I was fine with banner ads online. Content providers crossed the line when their "ads" started f***ing up our computers and becoming so intrusive that it rendered the website useless anyways. Better to block everything than risk the alternative.
PSN: Hopz_7

User Info: ShinXagura

ShinXagura
2 months ago#62
AimlessDork posted...
Make your ads be less annoying and I won't block them.
My life is Disgaea.

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#63
ShinXagura posted...
AimlessDork posted...

Less annoying ads probably get clicked a lot less (which is because either you're tricked into clicking on it by having it pop up just as you're trying to do something else, or else it's because people are stupid.)

I'm pretty sure they started out with simple ads with text on them, and then they had to be brightly colored text to stand out, then flashing, then animated, then animated with sound, then animated with sound and interactive, then full video with annoying audio... if they found a way to call you up on the phone or text you while you were browsing the site and ask you to buy something I'm sure they'd do that too.

But in general, I prefer ads that don't leave my computer open to attacks from sleezy advertisers (like some of the ads on Gamefaqs for example).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Perfect Zeratul

Perfect Zeratul
2 months ago#64
Why would anyone ever want to block an ad like this?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WigglySaneBee.webm
God gave man a brain and a ****. Too bad he didn't give us enough blood to use them both @ the same time....

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
2 months ago#65
and i still don't care
just your typical butthurt basement dweller
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#66
Hopz_7 posted...
The cranky hermit posted...
ZaruenKosai posted...

They get the money whether we look at the ad\commercial or not.

If nobody looked at commercials, do you really think TV stations would still get paid to broadcast them?

You can't seriously believe this do you? If no one watched ads on tv and sponsors dropped them, then cable providers and networks would still get paid through our monthly subscriptions.

What are you disagreeing with here? I asked if you thought TV stations would get paid to broadcast commercials nobody watched, with the implication that they obviously wouldn't, and you said sponsors would drop them. I never implied that other means of revenue would go away, just that advertisements would.

Also, I don't think you quite understand how media network revenue works. Your subscription money goes to the cable company, not to the stations, except for premium stations like HBO which have their own subscriptions independent of the cable provider (though sometimes offered in a bundle). For stations to survive without ad revenue, they'd all have to switch to the HBO model. Simply increasing the cable provider's subscription fee would do nothing. An analogous Internet situation would be offputting to a crapton of people.

In any event, the original statement that they'd get the money whether we look at ads or not is false if we take "the money" to mean ad revenue. The fewer people look at ads, the less sponsors would be willing to pay to show them. That should be pretty obvious.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
2 months ago#67
i have no problem with some text or image ads in site, but no, they had to flood me with tons of video ads. those site even has virus ads. those site just begging me to use adblocker to block all ads.

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
2 months ago#68
ShinXagura posted...
AimlessDork posted...

this, make sure those ads are in text or image. and not too many of them, at least not cover more than 25% of page. and especially not virus ads. or i will just keep using adblocker.

User Info: Jair

Jair
2 months ago#69
I don't care and I doubt I ever will. I've sat through enough internet ads in the early days, boasting about Britney Spears nudes and whatever else. Once I finally got around to setting up some of the primitive blockers, there was no looking back. No seizure inducing banners, no additional vectors for unwanted software and malware, no Flash ads, no video ads. All that remains is a smooth, mostly safe, browsing experience, which brings me the content I specifically seek and nothing more.

And I'm content with leaving it at that. Let those concerned with revenue worry about revenue.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
2 months ago#70
Voxwik posted...
outright blocking all the sources of the ads is willfully denying revenue to websites

When clickbait articles disappear, telemarketers all lose their jobs, and motherf***ers stop sending me spam emails 100 times a day, I'll disable my adblocker. Until then you can pry my adblocker from my cold dead hard drive.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. More and more sites are trying to guilt trip adblock users.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived