This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it turns out AMD lied about the launch MSRP of Vega

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it turns out AMD lied about the launch MSRP of Vega

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
3 months ago#21
AMD never lied about the MSRP. You know the S stands for "suggested". The retailer can sell it for however much they wish.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#22
Tyranius2 posted...
ThePandaForest posted...
On topic vega 64 is still $499

/topic

This pretty much. Stop falling for memes and clickbaits.

lol replying to yourself

lightningbugx posted...
AMD never lied about the MSRP. You know the S stands for "suggested". The retailer can sell it for however much they wish.

Consider reading the article next time.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: ThePandaForest

ThePandaForest
3 months ago#23
Try reading this article

ThePandaForest posted...
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-responds-radeon-rx-vega-pricing-more-499-vega-64-available-soon
Vega Frontier Edition | Titan X Pascal
C32HG70 HDR 144Hz 1ms | Vive VR

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 months ago#24
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's not like this kind of shady crap is new from AMD, though, including their efforts to brush it under the carpet.
AMD's marketing really is awful.

Kind of like selling a gimped 3.5GB card as 4GB right?
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
3 months ago#25
Both companies are huge corporations and will do whatever they can get away with to screw people out of their money. AMD would do similar things to what Nvidia/Intel has done if their roles were reversed.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
3 months ago#26
Damaged7 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's not like this kind of shady crap is new from AMD, though, including their efforts to brush it under the carpet.

You joke about that, but that's clear evidence of AMD's marketing being garbage tier. They had an easy win against Nvidia being shady as f***. Did they do anything with it? Nope. All they did was put out some stupid website banner ads about the memory in the R9 290/290X or whatever. They flat out don't know how to market s***.
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
3 months ago#27
ThePandaForest posted...
Try reading this article

ThePandaForest posted...
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-responds-radeon-rx-vega-pricing-more-499-vega-64-available-soon

tbh the AMD-response is very carefully worded. It doesn't really say, that the cards will be 499/399. It tells us only, that the cards will be restocked.
My personal take on this is, that the MSRP will stay @$399/$499. But the thing is, that according to retailers and AIB-partners they won't make any money of these cards, if they sell them at MSRP. Which means, that while AMD will still promote the low MSRPs, in reality the consumers will have to pay ~$100+ more. Occasionally AMD will provide rebates. This way some retailers can sell the cards at MSRP.
For the average consumer this whole thing would look as if the poor underdog AMD has released great bang/$-cards and the evil scalpers/miners/retailers drive the prices up. And a few conspiracy-nuts will produce threads/articles, where they will suggest, that the evil Nvidia-corp pays the retailers to overprice the Vega-cards.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#28
Damaged7 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

More like when they tried to downplay the problems with Crossfire, or blamed the consumer for HD4000 series GPUs tripping their own OCP, or when they attacked benchmarking suites for not being open source, using their own closed source benchmarking suite as a defense, or when they gimped anisotropic filtering on older generation video cards with a driver update to push newer GPUs...
If you want an nVidia parallel that actually fits, mislabeling the ROPs and crossbar resources on the 970 wouldn't be bad, but removing Clamp Negative LOD Bias from Fermi, promising it would be added back in, and then completely ignoring the issue ever since would be better parallels. Or, on the Intel side of things, the fact that i5s are still pushed as price to performance chips despite actually offering a poor p/p ratio compared to both i3 and i7.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
3 months ago#29
The important takeaway from that site about Vega:

The AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 is a tough card to recommend you buy... at least it is right now. And probably will continue to be so in this AMD-designed air-cooled guise too. It's a card that would’ve been great if it was released a year ago and may still be in twelve months time.

They need to get their s*** together if they want to remain relevant.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
3 months ago#30
just buy a 1080
just your typical butthurt basement dweller
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So it turns out AMD lied about the launch MSRP of Vega

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived