This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC, overclock question.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC, overclock question.

User Info: kidbizkit

kidbizkit
1 month ago#1
I am very new to PC. (Well haven't gamed on one since Age of empires 2 and 1 gig was a TON of memory). Anyway, my new PC parts are in the mail thanks to some GFAQ users who helped my land on a build for my wants/budgets. I chose to sacrifice the investment in a GPU and monitor to opt to invest more in other parts that are scalable for a future purchase of the next top consumer end iteration and/or I choose to buy a G 1080 T titan TI and ASUS 1440p monitor in 12-18 months. So for now I'll be using a 6gb GT 1060 with a Ryzen 5 1600X.

If I understand correctly, knowing that I am bottlenecked by a GPU that is not top performing is it valuable for me to consider tinkering with overclocking (after I spend the time researching how-to's, advice) after I physically assemble it and boot the BIOS? I figure I will do it next weekend.

Or should I worry about that when I get my hands on the best GPU (or two haha) in the future and leave as is?
No credit is better than an UWE BOLL credit
Gamertag: Chapta5 Nintendo friend code: 0834-2253-6713

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
1 month ago#2
I'd leave it as is for a while, either way. If you overclock now and the system isn't stable, you'll have that much more fun of a time figuring out why. Either way with those parts right now you won't need to worry about an overclock as much until you get those new parts later.

User Info: Darkside_Shadow

Darkside_Shadow
1 month ago#3
You will get maybe 10 fps extra with overclock. And most likely only 7-8 fps after a while because the heat will throttle the gfx card back when overclocked.

So unless you put extra cooling on there, I wouldnt bother and just wait and spend the money on upgrades later. Just my opinion. For example turning shadows to Medium in a game will give you more fps than overcloking.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
1 month ago#4
If you have a aftermarket 1060, then they come preoverclocked. So any additional overclocking will give you 1-2% fps more...so it's not really worth it.
But you could undervolt it. This way it runs cooler and boosts higher without any OC.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#5
Overclocking is only needed if you are doing some crazy specs like 4k 144fps ultra settings, or if your build is becoming dated. Neither of which I'm at, so I don't overclock unless framerate is taking a hit. Only game that does that is Forza Horizon 3 but it wasn't really designed around 60fps anyways. I don't get a locked 60fps, but it stays there quite often.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#6
Nvidia has gpu boost it auto overclocks itself... And the 1060 isnt a bottleneck for that chip.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC, overclock question.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived