This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i5 6400 good for emulation?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i5 6400 good for emulation?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#1
I plan on pairing it with a Superclocked GTX 1050 Ti and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. I want to run everything up to Dolphin and PCSX2, and hopefully Citra and Cemu. Will this be good enough to get full speed in most of the games that work well with those emulators?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#2
Yeah, that'll knock it out the park
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#3
Not sure about cemu... Especially since its still in development i think you need a 7700k. Dolphin and pcsx2 is no problem at all.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#4
Last time I tried to run Citra, it was a mess, but I've heard that that's deliberate, so as not to interfere with 3DS sales. Supposedly, optimized versions run a lot better, but aren't officially available while the 3DS is running.
CEMU is still pretty new, so it should be expected to be more broken than not. Despite that, I've actually seen it perform very well so far. 4690k had no problems with framerates in the games I tried, sans some broken parts.

PCSX2 and Dolphin won't be a problem at all.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Blarghinston

Blarghinston
1 month ago#5
This is going to get modded. but if you read this before that happens, get the newest Intel with the highest clockspeed. At least for Dolphin, that's all that matters.
Titan X Pascal WC 2067mhz | 5820K 4.6ghz | 64GB DDR4 | 950 Pro 512GB | Samsung 4K

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
1 month ago#6
It's fine. I play Dolphin perfect with an Athlon 860K lol! Don't buy a top-end CPU just for emulation. Over time, the emulators get optimized & processing demands get closer to how much it actually needs.

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
1 month ago#7
RPCS3 is probably the only emulator that an i5 6400 would noticeably struggle with. Even Cemu should be fine with the more optimized games.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#8
Blarghinston posted...
This is going to get modded. but if you read this before that happens, get the newest Intel with the highest clockspeed. At least for Dolphin, that's all that matters.

No its not. I have a I5 3570 and can run pretty much any dolphin game at full speed
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#9
Can't remember but isn't more cores the better when it comes to emulation?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#10
captsplatter_1 posted...
Can't remember but isn't more cores the better when it comes to emulation?

Since Dolphin only utilizes 2 cores, no and PCSX2 only uses 3
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i5 6400 good for emulation?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived