This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 months ago#11
The game I'm running uses about 7 to 9 GBs of ram, then I have my OS running, my media player, my network/chats, my steam in home streaming to my TV which wants some ram etc.

8GB was what you should have had for Windows Vista, I can't see how people still think that it's enough these days.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 months ago#12
I can realistically see the need for 12GB for gaming. Anyone saying 16GB is a requirement is probably just reassuring himself.

People who use their PCs for more than just gaming and do streams, video editing etc probably make good use of the 16GBs but if we're talking just gaming, it's a waste.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 months ago#13
MASKOAAA posted...
MasterFeeler posted...
We don't pretend.

We have money.

I have money why haven't I added more ram?

Because you are a cheapskate.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
3 months ago#14
Some people are irresponsible.
I'm currently using 8GB of my RAM, and I'm not doing anything tasking (just browsing and watching videos).

Some of us like having 50-60 tabs open in Chrome without encountering any issues.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
3 months ago#15
because 64gb isn't enough for all the photoshop and 3d rendering crap I need to do
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 months ago#16
He's not a cheapskate for not buying something he literally doesn't need. Why do people have to reassure themselves in every RAM topic? You wasted money, whoop-dee-f***ing-doo. I've wasted money before too, it's not the end of the world, no need to lie to yourself thinking you made a good purchase.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: TrashPandaJedi

TrashPandaJedi
3 months ago#17
Because losers love bragging about useless things
http://i.imgur.com/mLhEeaZ.gifv
Death Road to Canada = 10/10

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 months ago#18
Firefox routinely uses 3-4GB on my system, and when I use Chrome/Google for VOIP phone service that inevitably gets up to another 1-2GB no matter what I (don't) do with it. The last time I played Blizzard's Diablo game it hit something like 4-4.5GB VRAM and 5GB system RAM usage, and Path of Exile routinely hits 4GB or more after a few hours of play. Then there's the utility software I often have running when playing Path of Exile such as Procurement (560MB), PoE Skill Tree (200MB), and some of my own stuff (another 300MB or so).

And let's not forget the launchers to launch launchers for the launching of launcher launchers such as Steam and Glyph which collectively eat up another 250MB or so. Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, and GOG Galaxy would add another 1.25GB or so if I felt compelled to keep them running at all times.

Personally, I don't pretend to "need" more than 8GB of RAM. The more RAM I have the more I can relax and enjoy using my PC instead of stressing out over developers poorly designing their software and making it use more RAM than necessary or not properly fixing memory leaks, both the sort where the RAM footprint for the program in question bloats up and the sort where available RAM keeps dropping but a clearly visible culprit can't be found.

I dunno about anyone else, but minimizing hassle and maximizing enjoyment of things that I enjoy is rather much a need.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: TrueOfficialMe

TrueOfficialMe
3 months ago#19
zxxcman posted...
Some people are irresponsible.
I'm currently using 8GB of my RAM, and I'm not doing anything tasking (just browsing and watching videos).

Some of us like having 50-60 tabs open in Chrome without encountering any issues.

Why do you want 60 tabs open?
Personally i cant stand clutter, i close everything i dont need.
"Muchushakapaka" -Every Twilek Ever

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
3 months ago#20
King_Gheedorah posted...
Video capture, live streaming, work, editing software, etc...

Esp if you're working in 4K I guess.

I have 2 gig on this laptop and it gets me playing, but I have to stick to older stuff, e.g. yes to Temple of Elemental Evil no to Pillars of Eternity.

That's a shame but not a shame I'm going to purchase to overcome.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived