This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#101
batinoari posted...
Idk why ppl recommend 16gb, future proof is my guess since most of the ppl i know want the same pc for years and next windows will probably be a b****. Either way, there are some ppl that need more, usually streamers, ppl who use heavy audio video software or, in my case, i need to setup multiple vms. I'd still recommend 8gb for the majority of ppl interested in games.

Lienhart posted...
I have at least 10 Chrome tabs open, 2 instances of Visual Studio, git bash, Sublime Text, and SQL Management Studio.

git bash doesnt consume much run and neither does sublime text (altho that varies on how many projects you have opened). Not too sure why you'd open two visual studio instances... at least eclipse is capable of accomodating multiple projects in the same instance. Either way, i think the keyword there is what general ppl need since he mentioned recommendations.... most ppl would probably close all those IDEs while gaming. SQL Server run a lot of those update statistics/indexes on background (which is often IO bound), even with 32 gb ram its in your best interest to close that thing as well as stop the service if its on your local machine.

Only mentioned what I mentioned because it's on my screen right now.

You can have multiple projects open in the same IDE instance in VS; I prefer having two so I know exactly which one I'm working on (just a me thing really). Also I said SQL Management Studio NOT SQL Server.

On my 32GB machine I've had Black Desert Online open to run AFK stuff, Visual Studio running (swear not hax! ;] ) YouTube going, and sometimes another game open. No lag. Heck, sometimes I forget to close a game and end up with 3-4 games going with still no lag.

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
2 months ago#102
Lienhart posted...

On my 32GB machine I've had Black Desert Online open to run AFK stuff, Visual Studio running (swear not hax! ;] ) YouTube going, and sometimes another game open. No lag. Heck, sometimes I forget to close a game and end up with 3-4 games going with still no lag.

lmao yeah 32 gb problems. I often times have more than one game running without noticing on my desktop.

On my laptop with only 8 gigs of ram I notice slowdowns in games when i have youtube running and gaming at the same time.
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE (SLI) |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 1tb 960 PRO EVO M.2 SSD| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
Bench: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
2 months ago#103
JohnTidor posted...
Because 8GB isn't enough when you have open world games pushing 6-7GB.

This. I have at least 5 games that have a minimum requirement of 8gb. That's min. So these games certainly take advantage of 16gb. If you are happy with 8gb that's great but many games will take advantage of 16gb if it is there, even if 8 isn't the minimum.
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

User Info: ganondorf77

ganondorf77
2 months ago#104
8 gig is more than enough today, but it wont last too much. In 1 or at most two years from now we will be seeing games that wont run at all without 10+ Gb (games that need 8 minimum are already a reality) So if you were to buy a new rig today, or you did the last couple of years, buying 16 already is almost mandatory, even more considering RAM is very cheap.

But if you are a designer or architect you do need 16, 20 if you buy a new rig today I would say. I've been using 16 Gb for the last 12 years because I need that much. Revit for architecture recommends 16 since 2008, and that's the minimum for collaborative projects (32 recommended). 3ds Max for huge projects also has issues with less than 16. I created a proyect in 2010 that needed 14,5 Gb to render. There were no coworkers of mine back in that day that already had 16 like me, not even the professional computers the studio had where I was working.
Bu!

User Info: D1Tremere

D1Tremere
2 months ago#105
toyota posted...
Most people here would be absolutely fine with 8gb so why is 16 gb always pushed for builds?

Yesterday I had my Oculus Rift up, Steam, 2 tabs in firefox, and a video on youtube to help me configure something.
This is why.
3DS FC: 2251-4994-6116 IGN: Jason, X-Box One Tag: D1Tremere, Steam ID: D1Tremere, My Event Pokemon List http://goo.gl/tS8hwC

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
2 months ago#106
The f***, how do you accidentally leave three or four games open.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
2 months ago#107
Digital Storm posted...

One example I can think of:

I have it set so that my windows explorer bar is not shown unless I put the mouse cursor to the bottom.I tend to control+alt+delete to minimize my games(I also tend to quit my games through task manager) and start browsing the internet and I forget I already had a game running. I put my computer to sleep and several hours later I get back on and open up another game. Repeat 1 more time and that is when I notice I have like 3 games running and only because I saw the CPU usage was higher than normal through OSD.

Granted majority of the games I play aren't that demanding but It still takes up ram. I have 32 gb which isn't even that excessive but is still a huge improvement over 8 gigs.

But yeah I think I had Witcher 3 running while also having DMC 3 and Kingdom's of Amular running at the same time. My fps was slightly gimped as well (running in the low 100s at 1440p).
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE (SLI) |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 1tb 960 PRO EVO M.2 SSD| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
Bench: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#108
Digital Storm posted...

Here's an example from yesterday:

Open TrackMania Stadium2, has a 500MB update and Trackmania servers are slow as hell.

Alt tab, open StarCraft 2, play a game with the intention to go back to TMS2 when it's done. Alt tab because of Facebook message, long conversation ensues. Oven is finally done, go do oven stuff and eat.

Feel like playing Blade and Soul, open BnS.

And there you go, 3 games open. Forgot about #1, forgot about StarCraft 2.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
2 months ago#109
So what you're saying is that you have the attention span of a flea.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
2 months ago#110
Ratchetrockon posted...
I tend to control+alt+delete to minimize my games

Just out of curiosity... Why??

Ratchetrockon posted...
(I also tend to quit my games through task manager)

Why???

Ratchetrockon posted...
Kingdom's of Amular

Amalur, actually.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived