This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
1 month ago#111
MarceloSampaio posted...
Ratchetrockon posted...
I tend to control+alt+delete to minimize my games

Just out of curiosity... Why??

Ratchetrockon posted...
(I also tend to quit my games through task manager)

Why???

Ratchetrockon posted...
Kingdom's of Amular

Amalur, actually.

thank you I knew the word looked weird.

Because DMC 3 is my favorite game of all time and the only way to quit the game is through control alt delete and stopping the application through task manager because its a bad port (used mods to make the game run well). Its just auto pilot for me now since I've been playing DMC 3 on PC for the past 2 years. Also hate going through extra menus to quit games.
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE (SLI) |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 1tb 960 PRO EVO M.2 SSD| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
Bench: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
1 month ago#112
Digital Storm posted...
So what you're saying is that you have the attention span of a flea.

Or I can do whatever I want on my day off ;)

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#113
On the leaving multiple games open thing, some games make it so that you sometimes really don't want to close them. Soldak Entertainment and Grinding Gear Games provide two big examples of this.

Path of Exile has the Raise Spectre skill which lets you turn most NPCs corpses into an ethereal blue copy of the white/normal version of that NPC type. If you try to raise a really cool yellow/rare spider you get a normal/white "trash mob" version of it instead, but you still get a minion from the appropriate (sub)family which can be important since, for example, there are giant bears that curse enemies on hit and other giant bears with a DoT aura.

Soldak Entertainment has many games with a "Raise Dead" skill which is virtually identical to Path of Exile's Raise Spectre except that you get the exact NPC you raised so that a powerful rare/yellow quality minion keeps all of its properties.

In both games good minions can be a pain to acquire. Path of Exile often locks them down by area, and because spectres will lose but not gain levels when you go to different zones you can't just go grab a level 5 variant of your favorite minions to do level 70 maps. Soldak's games, such as Zombasite and Din's Curse, also tend to segregate enemies by zone, but zones are generally easier to move between while the randomized nature of "world" maps makes it a bit easier still. Unfortunately since you get exact copies of former enemies this means that you really want to find good minions to use; at one point I had a summoner using a scorpion that had 1.4k life to her 200 and massive defenses, and thanks to the game "deleting" minions on exit I ended up keeping Zombasite running for something like 2-3 days straight.

Soldak's games make the whole "alt-tab when not playing instead of shut down" thing easier than Path of Exile does though. When you play Zombasite in full screen and alt-tab out, all GPU and CPU activity stops and RAM usage is never all that great to begin with. Path of Exile reverts to a windowed mode when you alt-tab out of it while it's in full screen, and CPU and GPU activity remain high while RAM usage can often go up to around 4GB after extended sessions.

Path of Exile has a skill that lets you convert most enemy types into minions, and some enemy types are harder to acquire than others. If getting minions that you like requires a good bit of effort then you're not going to want to shut the game down for things like a half hour meal break because when you log out you lose your spectres.

Soldak Entertainment does the exact same thing except that when you turn a
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#114
Lienhart posted...
Digital Storm posted...

You can but try not to make fraudulent claims. You need more than 8GBs because of your attention span. Don't try to say people need more than that.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#115
Tyranius2 posted...
Lienhart posted...
Digital Storm posted...

You can but try not to make fraudulent claims. You need more than 8GBs because of your attention span. Don't try to say people need more than that.

really, what does "proving him wrong" do for you?
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
1 month ago#116
Tyranius2 posted...
Lienhart posted...
Digital Storm posted...

So if you've admitted that he needs it because of his attention span, why even challenge him on it? Why not take on actual legit reasons like some games don't function properly for people if they have 8GB?
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
1 month ago#117
Damaged7 posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
Lienhart posted...
Digital Storm posted...

So if you've admitted that he needs it because of his attention span, why even challenge him on it? Why not take on actual legit reasons like some games don't function properly for people if they have 8GB?

There are a couple of games that recommend 16 gb like Quantum Break.

I think going 8gb at this point is stupid since games are only going to become more demanding. Just a few years ago 4gb was the standard but only a dumb dumb would stick with that.

I mean my laptop has 8 gb and it can run games still but even just opening one youtube video can slow down certain games which is a big no no.
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE (SLI) |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 1tb 960 PRO EVO M.2 SSD| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
Bench: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
1 month ago#118
Can someone give me an example of a game that isn't badly optimized that performs bad with only 8GB of RAM?
Saying a game is using a lot of RAM isn't the same thing. Things that are optimized well will try and use all the RAM they can, it doesn't mean if you had 8GB, they'd perform badly. (GTA V, one people keep saying, for example, runs absolutely fine on 8GB. Witcher 3, too)

I think people aren't understanding things here. 16GB is better, but 8GB isn't a deal breaker.

No one should be buying 8GB with new systems now (not because you need 16GB, but because 8GB is a worse value), but if you already have 8GB, upgrading to 16GB isn't something you have to do.
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#119
Yes, a PC being built now should definitely go with 16GBs. People who have 8GB PCs now are fine though.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: chase1234life

chase1234life
1 month ago#120
Spaced92 posted...
You don't need it for gaming, I need it for work.
https://twitter.com/Chase_WolfBTG https://www.twitch.tv/chasewolfbtg
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived