This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: somebadlemonade

somebadlemonade
3 months ago#131
I don't pretend to need anything, that went out the door the day I ordered a 1080ti, but 16GB of 3200 was cheap enough and I'm not likely to change my ram out for higher capacity DIMMS since I have an ITX board/system with only 2 DIMM slots.

And I don't plan on upgrading for a while anyways, if I build something new I'll buy another slower set of 8GB sticks. And repurpose this motherboard/cpu/case for an HTPC/1080p gaming system in my living room.
Meh posting brought to you by SBL inc. Makers of The Only Ink that Stinks!

User Info: hitokiri13

hitokiri13
3 months ago#132
toyota posted...
Most people here would be absolutely fine with 8gb so why is 16 gb always pushed for builds?

I would buy a Corolla GTS 1986 because its fun to own. Don't tell me its different from PC gaming. Both are hobbies for different types of people. End of story.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. - Hannibal

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 months ago#133
Knighted Dragon posted...
Lol at 8GB being enough, I've got 13 GB or RAM in use right now with a game not even running

http://i.imgur.com/csrCZMF.png

Something seems wrong on your end
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#134
^ indeed. According to that screenshot he has 32 GB of RAM and FF utilises the highest amount at 1.3 GB, while the second highest is 0.1 GB. In fact, if you sum up all the shown processes it comes up to just about 2 GB of RAM and while the list does seem long according to the scroll bar, I doubt the rest would add up to 11 GB, considering they are all under 20 MB each. Even if they were 20 MB each (and they wouldn't be) you need roughly another 550 processes to fill up that amount of memory.

It is likely something hidden that uses the RAM. I did have a friend of mine who had a similar problem with Windows 10 - it was due to a driver leaking memory and it wasn't shown in the task manager - he had to use a process explorer or something to actually see where the issue was and then update the driver to fix it. I would hazard a guess that something similar is happening there - Windows doesn't usually have phantom memory missing. You could sort of encounter that in Linux but it's usually if you're running VMs and then the memory wouldn't be listed in what the application is using but it would be under shared memory, so if you sort processes by RAM usage you might not see that you have a VM using some significant portion of it.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Nazanir

Nazanir
3 months ago#135
Doublesouba posted...
Because it will be the new standard soon. Just look at Mass Effect Andromeda. I had frame drops all over the place, then I upgraded to 16gb of RAM, no more frame drops. There are other games too that recommend 12gb of RAM. Sure, it may be because the devs are too lazy to properly optimize their games for PC, but that's irrelevant. Games are requiring more RAM, so you need more RAM. 8gb just isn't enough anymore. So if you're building a new PC, why would you not get at least 16gb?

That just proves that Andromeda is horribly optimized.
XboX GT/Steam/Wii-U - Nazanir

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
3 months ago#136
Nazanir posted...
Doublesouba posted...
Because it will be the new standard soon. Just look at Mass Effect Andromeda. I had frame drops all over the place, then I upgraded to 16gb of RAM, no more frame drops. There are other games too that recommend 12gb of RAM. Sure, it may be because the devs are too lazy to properly optimize their games for PC, but that's irrelevant. Games are requiring more RAM, so you need more RAM. 8gb just isn't enough anymore. So if you're building a new PC, why would you not get at least 16gb?

That just proves that Andromeda is horribly optimized.

regardless, the RAM was still "needed"

there have been so many examples of different games and instances where more than 8GB of RAM is needed and so many people in denial about it. It is what it is. No one is trying to "show off", there are many instances where it's a requirement and or necessity.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#137
vlado_e posted...
^ indeed. According to that screenshot he has 32 GB of RAM and FF utilises the highest amount at 1.3 GB, while the second highest is 0.1 GB. In fact, if you sum up all the shown processes it comes up to just about 2 GB of RAM and while the list does seem long according to the scroll bar, I doubt the rest would add up to 11 GB, considering they are all under 20 MB each. Even if they were 20 MB each (and they wouldn't be) you need roughly another 550 processes to fill up that amount of memory.

. . .That's a good point actually, I should probably investigate wtf is going on
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#138
cody4783 posted...
As someone who plays a little bit of everything, and still occasionally gets into the odd new release graphical powerhouses....Nope, 8GB is not enough.

When I've frequently seen games hit 4/6/8GB for just the game itself, 8GB total is not going to cut it. Better to have plenty of wiggle room for overhead than to be sweating having to close every web browser and kill tasks just to run a damn game properly.

I haven't personally run into a game where my 8GB of RAM was a hindrance, but then I don't typically run a browser full of open tabs in the background, as even if I had the RAM, it seems silly to eat up CPU cycles that could be used to run the game. That being said, it's definitely useful to have 16+ GB of RAM, but at the moment it's not an absolute necessity.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#139
JKatarn posted...
cody4783 posted...
As someone who plays a little bit of everything, and still occasionally gets into the odd new release graphical powerhouses....Nope, 8GB is not enough.

When I've frequently seen games hit 4/6/8GB for just the game itself, 8GB total is not going to cut it. Better to have plenty of wiggle room for overhead than to be sweating having to close every web browser and kill tasks just to run a damn game properly.

I haven't personally run into a game where my 8GB of RAM was a hindrance, but then I don't typically run a browser full of open tabs in the background, as even if I had the RAM, it seems silly to eat up CPU cycles that could be used to run the game. That being said, it's definitely useful to have 16+ GB of RAM, but at the moment it's not an absolute necessity.

If you're GPU bound, the CPU is sitting idle anyway, and even if not, often times, you'll be thread bound and have free cycles somewhere to eat. Especially on i7, those extra threads are exactly for that kind of scenario.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived