This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: darkus_f

darkus_f
3 months ago#21
Because reassurance. Worst part is when the RAM eats away at their GPU budget. :/
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
3 months ago#22
Because games RIGHT NOW use 6-8 GB RAM...for example Hellblade to name a more recent example. There are alot of games which use 4-5GB. Each year new releases use more and more RAM. So if the follow the trajectory of RAMusage, then in ~2 years most open wiorld games will use 8-12 gb RAM

User Info: _GRIM_FANDANGO_

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 months ago#23
Because the amount of RAM used by software is rapidly increasing. Having a few launchers open, a webbrowser with a few tabs and playing a game that uses a lot of RAM you can can get close to 8GB with regular use. Spend a little more (getting 16 GB compared to getting 8 GB isn't an expensive upgrade at all) and you basically never have to worry about it.
I5 3570 | GTX 970 | Samsung 840 EVO x 3 | Corsair RM750 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 400c | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Logitech G Pro |

User Info: samurai1900

samurai1900
3 months ago#24
Maybe for gaming and gaming alone.

Me? I ran out of my 16GB RAM during the first week of this build over five years ago. Needless to say, it has been a struggle which I don't want to repeat with my 2018 PC build.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Mosse190Reborn - Reference grade
http://www.dailymotion.com/Samurai190 - gaming files, guides, saves and videos.

User Info: gamefaqwatcher

gamefaqwatcher
3 months ago#25
Are they pretending?
See you in WoD! Praise the sun! Diamond Dog is a Wolf! Currently playing: Dark Souls 1
Weebs refer to the mana series as Seiken Densetsu.

User Info: HotshotJoe

HotshotJoe
3 months ago#26
Because the whole system uses ram.
So I always want it to have enough
To always run efficiently.
That's why I'm streaming LoLz right now and why I have bought 9300 IP on two accounts so far. Because I don't play it. Makes perfect sense ~ Karmic Dragon

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#27
Not even running a game. Nearly 7GB used in W7. Even a source game would put that over 8GB.
Sure, you can run 8GB and mostly be fine I guess, but for how long? May as well get 16GB now and not have to worry about it, and then upgrade to 32 next time RAM is cheap.
I mean, I did. 's great. Hardly ever use even half my RAM, and if I go for a long session with a lot of high resolution reference material and tons of layers, that extra RAM will be handy.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 months ago#28
I sweated over over whether to go with 8 or 16GB when I put this PC together six years ago. In the end I went with 8 to keep costs down (2 x 4GB, motherboard only has two RAM slots). In retrospect I don't think it would have made any difference if I had gone with 16.

If I was building a PC now (no plans to do so) I would go with 16GB, though.

EDIT Not even running a game. Nearly 7GB used in W7.

Task Manager shows I'm currently using 2.1GB of system RAM. Most of my gaming time is spent on M & B Warband, which only uses about 1GB.

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
3 months ago#29
I used to use 6 GB on back on X58. The issue start of when you quit a game & run another games afterward. It take a hit on the media storage device. It's not so bad if you have a SSD, but quite noticeable with a HDD.

8GB is enough for gaming in 90% of the cases on medium setting, but the annoyance of waiting 1min for the cache to stabilize can be annoying after gaming.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 months ago#30
I had problems running Andromeda and Mankind Divided on 8gb. Upgraded to 16gb and they ran so much better.
FC: 1221-0777-4703
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived