This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

User Info: Critcal50

Critcal50
2 months ago#71
For gaming, 8 GB is all you really need. I dont think DDR4 is even standard yet.

Only reason I really bothered to get 16 GB is the 8 x 2 16 GB set was $80 when I was ordering my stuff. And only about $20-30 more than the 8 GB set.

But I also render videos occasionally, and trying to learn how to use applications like Blender. Which can be a nightmare if you dont have enough ram or a powerful enough CPU to keep up with tasks. This goes for other things like photo and video editing. You really cant have enough RAM. But the only thing it really does is make more efficient.
EVGA GTX 970 SC | i5-6600k | Corsair 8 x 2 DDR4 | ASUS Z170A | NZXT Phantom 410

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#72
MASKOAAA posted...
How slow is your internet that you need that many tabs open that's illogical websites load instantly for me hence why I use book marks and how can you even be interested in that many sites????

Keeping tabs available is faster and easier than using bookmarks, especially as the number of bookmarks you use increases.

Some sites, like YouTube, also have a tendency to provide dynamic lists of links in response to your actions, and there are times when "daisy chaining" pages in new tabs is a far smarter approach than opening up pages in the same tab and risking "losing" interesting links when you Back up to them an hour or five later.

Then there are sites like poe.trade which monitor items for sale in Path of Exile and allow real time tracking of information so that having multiple tabs open for multiple items makes sense, and pathofexile.gamepedia.com has several pages full of useful information that take a while to load no matter how fast your connection is. I've got COX's 150Mbps package, and the affix lists hosted on the site can take a minute or two, no exaggeration, to load up, more if the site's under heavy strain at the time.

I don't see the point in trying to function with just one window and 3 tabs if your computer can support more.

Since my computer can support a more-than-minimum number I will enjoy having the current anime I'm watching up on Crunchyroll while having the complete listing of episodes open in another tab. Likewise I'll enjoy having one tab apiece open for Path of Exile's Normal, Cruel, and Merciless Layouts rather than reloading the same pages over and over again every 10 minutes or 10 hours when I go back in. I'll keep a dozen different YouTube pages in tabs, though not necessarily loaded, so that when I want to listen to this song or that song until I burn out on it and close the tab, never needing to bookmark the page because I'll likely never listen to the song again, I can do so before switching to another tab to have a talking head yammer away while I play Path of Exile.

Might as well ask why I keep Procurement and POESkillTree, two Path of Exile specific programs, up and running alongside Visual Studio and an item management program I'm tinkering around with, also for Path of Exile, at pretty much all times even when I'm playing other games like Fallout 4 or Reassembly.

The resources are there to be used, and not using them when doing so can make my life easier would be silly.

MASKOAAA posted...

Actually it's better to not have it and need it bc if you have it and don't need it you wasted money.

I'll take not having low memory messages unless a program's bugged over a program bugging out because I'm low on memory any day of the week.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Teen Girl Squad

Teen Girl Squad
2 months ago#73
I had to close all other programs to run W3 on 1080p with 8gigs. I finally upgraded because I couldn't play Mankind Divided at 1080p with 8gigs at all. Not saying its a requirement at all but if you intend to game (which most people here do), paying a little extra for 16gigs makes sense. The people with 24 or 32 though, thats excessive outside of very specific tasks.
"Rest of league playing checkers, Chargers playing E-Sports." Drug_Smoker.

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#74
Teen Girl Squad posted...
The people with 24 or 32 though, thats excessive outside of very specific tasks.

(Singing) RaaaaaaamDiiiiiiiisssssk

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Termin8r

Termin8r
2 months ago#75
As a consumer, if I had only 8GB then I would have had to go back to the days when I had to close everything just to play a game. Now that I have 16, I can multitask as much as I need, as well as keep Chrome open for a really long time without having to worry about RAM usage. If I were a content creator, I definitely would have considered 32 though.
https://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#76
I don't need the whole 16GB yet, but has certainly pushed past the 8GB mark more than a few times.

User Info: quinikk

quinikk
2 months ago#77
It's simple really. If a game/app stops having issues with more RAM, it makes sense to just keep the RAM.
Just let it go, alright.

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
2 months ago#78
Tyranius2 posted...
I can realistically see the need for 12GB for gaming. Anyone saying 16GB is a requirement is probably just reassuring himself.

People who use their PCs for more than just gaming and do streams, video editing etc probably make good use of the 16GBs but if we're talking just gaming, it's a waste.

nobody is going to waste their time going for 12 gb of ram

what are they gonna do, buy an 8 gig and a 4 gig stick? maybe run two 4gb sticks in dual channel and run another 4 gb stick?

people will go 16 gb in dual or quad channel because its the only feasible step up from 8gb if youre not looking to sacrifice performance. i only game in 1080p and theres only a couple games that ever use over 8 gb of ram. still i had to go for two more sticks because nothing else made sense at the time.

i agree with your comment though, most games these days arent gonna use much more than 8 gb of ram and 12 on the safe side, but going from 8 to 12 gb isnt really much of an upgrade path which is why people will tend to just fill the other two slots on their motherboard when they go to upgrade their ram.

pretty much if youre a performance snob going from 8 to 16 gb pretty much is a requirement. i dont necessarilly see it that way but yeah you dont really see too many pc's these days running 12 gbs of ram outside of a laptop or a prebuilt. it just doesnt really make a whole lot of sense, even though 12 gb should be enough for pretty much anything these days outside of hardcore video editing, it would still run faster on a dual or quad channel setup. though outside of gaming, i dont think it would make much of any difference at all. especially if you step away from your pc while its doing all the rendering and converting and whatnot. when it all comes down to it, youre probably not going to notice that extra couple minutes you saved encoding that video anyways. but gaming is a bit different, especially when youre trying to squeeze in all the frames you can

imho i think devs are just getting lazy with optimization. all of a sudden games are calling for tonnes of ram when their games pretty much run and look the same as their last ones, even using the same engines. id like to believe they focus less of their time trying to optimize their games for the pc platform and focus more of their time on how to implement more dlc and microtransactions. thats just my tin foil hat theory though
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
2 months ago#79
because some people actually need it......
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: memoryman3

memoryman3
2 months ago#80
Teen Girl Squad posted...
I had to close all other programs to run W3 on 1080p with 8gigs. I finally upgraded because I couldn't play Mankind Divided at 1080p with 8gigs at all. Not saying its a requirement at all but if you intend to game (which most people here do), paying a little extra for 16gigs makes sense. The people with 24 or 32 though, thats excessive outside of very specific tasks.

RAM + VRAM.
Daisy amiibo sass!
Switch FC - 5067-3358-4023
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do a lot of people pretend they need more than 8gb of RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived