This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about giving Skyrim another shot

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about giving Skyrim another shot

User Info: spacecowboymike

spacecowboymike
3 months ago#1
I only played a few hours on it back years ago. The game never really grabbed me. I never had the "OH s*** this game is amazing" moment.

From what I remember it seemed VERY easy to mess up your character from a leveling standpoint.

Any suggestions on how I could enjoy the game more this time around?

User Info: stav8

stav8
3 months ago#2
You can't mess up levelling
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

User Info: TrueOfficialMe

TrueOfficialMe
3 months ago#3
In skyrim the leveling is literally impossible to mess up, unlike in oblivion or morrowind.
"Muchushakapaka" -Every Twilek Ever

User Info: CrestedTax

CrestedTax
3 months ago#4
It's practically impossible to mess up your character. And like almost every open world RPG, the game gets significantly easier as you progress, which I think is a ridiculous design flaw and kills the enjoyment of the game.
FC: 5172-3452-9992 Kaurus

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
3 months ago#5
CrestedTax posted...
And like almost every open world RPG, the game gets significantly easier as you progress, which I think is a ridiculous design flaw and kills the enjoyment of the game.

I agree. Even if you could mess up your leveling, you'd still become ridiculously overpowered, anyway.

Unfortunately for you, perhaps, the first few hours of the game is essentially what the game is. I think you go through a couple dungeons, you complete a couple story-related quests, and you probably get your feet wet with crafting. That's about 90% of what the game is, and if that didn't pull you in the first time, I don't think playing it again is going to do much for you.

I know that there are some terrific mods out there, but they don't change the base experience. You may find something out there that could really interest you, but then it's not really playing Skyrim.

User Info: Kharillle

Kharillle
3 months ago#6
I'd love to get into this. I'm trying to finish the 2nd dlc on fallout 4 but I've heard good things about Skyrim.
No time for games so I twitch. Youtube is good. Two monitors at any one time. My graphics card ist krap.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#7
Yeah, I don't think Skyrim is the kind of game where you wait for it to grab you. Some people love the beginning and love the game all the way through, some people enjoy the beginning but then the magic starts to fade after a while, but I don't think anybody really plays through the 20th sameish dungeon and says to themselves "Ohhh, NOW I get why this is fun!"

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
3 months ago#8
spacecowboymike posted...
Any suggestions on how I could enjoy the game more this time around?

Well, this is the PC board, so mods, and lots of them.

There's a mod out there for anything, and you can literally change the game into whatever suits your play-style or tastes. Do some research for a day, look over the nexus, learn how to use LOOT and TES5Edit, and then go to town.

Once you have tailored the game specifically to you, you're going to have a lot more fun with it.

Just for ease of life, I recommend SKSE, the anti-crash SKSE plugin, and an ENB, if only to address the memory issues. Obviously these don't apply to the Special Edition.
From there you can get whatever content and gameplay-changers you want (catgirls, macho man randy savage, thomas the train, or whatever else floats your banana)
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
3 months ago#9
I'd like to ask the same. I tried Fallout 3 and Skyrim a few years ago, and I didn't get too far into either of them, and I'm pretty sure I encountered some technical issues that helped me decide to stop playing them.

I didn't dislike the games per se, I just recall being impatient and hating how slow the start of the game and my progression was. I went in expecting to be some kind of dragon slaying legend, and ended up having trouble killing some villagers that are way too attached to their chickens.

Also, would you say Skyrim is best played with K+M or a controller?
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 months ago#10
On the topic of mods, I just don't got the time or patience like I used to when I was young to carefully find and select mods/optimize their load order/make sure nothing conflicts/download third party script bulls*** and other such time wasters.

I actually really enjoyed the whole Sky Rim remastered's ingame mod selection menu built right into the game, took me only a few minutes to really quickly get a few combat AI/injury mods to make it fresh and nab the ordinator perk systems along with a few small must grabs like the unofficial patch and such.

Earlier this month I tried picking up Oblivion again and wanted to smash my keyboard in half when I realized that to get all the mods that the modguide I was following (to make it easy for me lol) wanted me to head out to six different websites and download a bunch of dumb programs that the mods required to be installed in order to function. Then install them in certain orders, run some programs on them to patch some stuff, then move some files from one folder to another, manage the mods with some unneeded (IMO) program, launch the game with some alternitive .exe replacement that makes me feel like I'm back in 2005 and trying to crack games because I didn't have enough money to buy them.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about giving Skyrim another shot

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived