This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer stopped detecting hard drive overnight

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Computer stopped detecting hard drive overnight

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
3 months ago#1
So I wake up and realize one of my hard drives is no longer being detected by the PC. I reboot, go into the BIOS and nothing, it's like it's not even there. (although during POST, it "knows" there's something plugged in port 4, it stays stuck there, trying to detect something but after the detection timeout expires, it just boots normally, without detecting the drive).

So, am I f***ed? What are the changes of the drive data being unrecoverable?
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#2
Have you tried a different SATA cable? Switch things up a bit for a process of elimination.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

brotrrwinner
3 months ago#3
Masamune_DS posted...
Have you tried a different SATA cable? Switch things up a bit for a process of elimination.

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, kinda sacred to find out it really died and I lost everything :( I mean, what's the likelihood of it being the SATA port on the motherboard? Pretty slim, right?
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#4
brotrrwinner posted...
Masamune_DS posted...

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, kinda sacred to find out it really died and I lost everything :( I mean, what's the likelihood of it being the SATA port on the motherboard? Pretty slim, right?

Don't know. Troubleshooting or not won't change the fact that the drive is died, if it truly is. Only performing a troubleshoot will set you on the path of moving forward.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
3 months ago#5
It could be as simple as a cord coming loose. Not much help we can give if you haven't done any troubleshooting.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: 95_Eclipse

95_Eclipse
3 months ago#6
You can have someone recover the data for you usually. Depends on whether you want to pay for that or not.
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#7
was it an SSD?
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

brotrrwinner
3 months ago#8
Good news, it's not dead!

So I plugged the SATA cable into another motherboard port and booted. I saw during POST that the HDD was detected but then it acted as if the PC didn't have a boot drive (probably because by switching ports, it messed up the boot order it was set in the BIOS). Anyway, since I saw the disk was being recognized, I decided to just plug it back into the original port and boot.

Lo and behold, it's just like it was before. Booted straight into windows and the hard drive is there, with all the files.

I'm relieved but it's weird, why would the disk just stop being recognized by windows? It even happened while the machine was on, one minute it was there, the other it disappeared!
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#9
This happened to me after I cleaned out my Computer with an Air compressor.

Thing is, it had nothing to do with my hard drive, or my hard drive cable... But because I was messing around inside the case, right next to where my actual problem was, I thought I fixed it like 20 times.

Turned out, My RAM was loose. Reseated it, and EVERYTHING worked the way it was supposed to, I felt real dumb, especially when I almost trashed the 1TB drive, with a hammer... I was seconds away from it.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#10
brotrrwinner posted...
kinda sacred to find out it really died and I lost everything :(

brotrrwinner posted...
Good news, it's not dead!

So you're backing up your data now, right?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Computer stopped detecting hard drive overnight

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived