This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does every single multiplayer game have to have some kind of MMR system?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does every single multiplayer game have to have some kind of MMR system?

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
2 months ago#1
*At least if that game has any kind of automated matchmaking

Who thinks that this is actually a good idea? I want to be put up against a random sample of people, not people "kinda like me".
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#2
Because it f***s over the ability to form communities
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

Judgmenl
2 months ago#3
Orestes417 posted...

Are we the only two people that remember when online games had a community outside of their subreddit?

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
2 months ago#4
Judgmenl posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Are we the only two people that remember when online games had a community outside of their subreddit?

Yes. You two are the chosen ones. The Immortals. The Everlasting. The Unforgetting.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

Orestes417
2 months ago#5
Judgmenl posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I don't consider a subreddit a proper community. Then again when I say playing with friends I mean shooting AT them not shooting at randos together.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

Judgmenl
2 months ago#6
Orestes417 posted...
I don't consider a subreddit a proper community. Then again when I say playing with friends I mean shooting AT them not shooting at randos together.

I remember playing DotA and Quake 3 against my friends and not necessarily with them.

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
2 months ago#7
Because completely random matchmaking is not actually that fun and you learn nothing from stomping on scrubs or getting destroyed yourself

You need some gradual improvement of skill level and playing people either of a similar rank or a little better has been proven to do that, that is what keeps multiplayer addicting

Judgmenl
2 months ago#8
Getting completely stomped allows you to question WHAT you are doing wrong.

Orestes417
2 months ago#9
Cards_and_Hats posted...
Because completely random matchmaking is not actually that fun and you learn nothing from stomping on scrubs or getting destroyed yourself

You need some gradual improvement of skill level and playing people either of a similar rank or a little better has been proven to do that, that is what keeps multiplayer addicting

Like hell you don't. You learn a ton from getting wrecked by your betters and being forced to play up to their level. I guarantee you I learned more in one match back in the day getting shrekked by guys like Thresh than MMR kiddies learn in a year.

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
2 months ago#10
Judgmenl posted...
Getting completely stomped allows you to question WHAT you are doing wrong.

Not when matchmaking is completely random

what if your team had all bad players? or maybe your team was decent but the other team was just filled with professionals? you have no idea what you are doing wrong because of said randomness
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does every single multiplayer game have to have some kind of MMR system?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived