This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AMD confirms more $499 VEGA 64 cards coming soon

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. AMD confirms more $499 VEGA 64 cards coming soon

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#31
lightningbugx posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Guess we can expect GTX780Ti to run faster than Vega 64, since it has 'more cores' right?!

...except that's not how GPU performance works at all, ever.

The GTX 780ti has 2/3rd the cores and much slower clock rate. Epic fail. I need to report your account as hacked, as I would expect better from the real DarkZV2Beta.

Not going off the block diagrams I could find.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#32
DarkZV2Beta posted...
lightningbugx posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Guess we can expect GTX780Ti to run faster than Vega 64, since it has 'more cores' right?!

...except that's not how GPU performance works at all, ever.

The GTX 780ti has 2/3rd the cores and much slower clock rate. Epic fail. I need to report your account as hacked, as I would expect better from the real DarkZV2Beta.

Not going off the block diagrams I could find.

We will be comparing a CPU with 15 simple cores versus a modern 4 core CPU at twice the clock rate with hardware accelerated functions. We could say 15x 100MHz/DX4 80486 CPUs versus 4x Pentium MMX 200MHz. Looking at some benchmarks, the Pentium would be 7 times more powerful core to core, so 15 vs 28.

Comparing the pipes, what a single pipe on the GTX 1080 would do will take 5 clock cycles on a single pipe for the 780ti. For a workload optimally made for the 780ti, the GTX 1080 will be constrained by the task scheduler, depending if it can make 1 pipe handle more than 1 complex operation simultaneously or running cold if not.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#33
I was just pointing out that the relation to cores was a stupid one in the first place(because it is) since GPU spec sheets list the total ALUs and floating point performance, far more useful metrics of GPU performance than the organization of those resources.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#34
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I was just pointing out that the relation to cores was a stupid one in the first place(because it is) since GPU spec sheets list the total ALUs and floating point performance, far more useful metrics of GPU performance than the organization of those resources.

You have not pointed out anything. You decided to compare a collection of Pentium CPUs against a Haswell CPU to say that the theoretical and unobtainable performance figures on the spec sheet are the most important details. The most important detail is the GPU's ability to utilize the components, and that comes from the cluster arrangements. A single controller absolutely cannot manage 4,096 shaders every clock cycle. That is impossible.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: Alaph0000

Alaph0000
1 month ago#35
From now on all AMD videocards here in Europe cost 300 % as AMD announce. Yes Vega 56 has a price of the Titan XP. xD

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#36
lightningbugx posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

You have not pointed out anything. You decided to compare a collection of Pentium CPUs against a Haswell CPU to say that the theoretical and unobtainable performance figures on the spec sheet are the most important details. The most important detail is the GPU's ability to utilize the components, and that comes from the cluster arrangements. A single controller absolutely cannot manage 4,096 shaders every clock cycle. That is impossible.

No, I compared a Kepler configuration to Vega 64 to illustrate the point that there's far more important things to GPU performance than the cluster arrangements, and that the comparison to CPU cores doesn't really translate well.
If you want a more direct example, howabout GTX465 vs GTX460? IIRC, 465 essentially had "three cores", but performed worse than 1GB 460 half the time, despite otherwise having similar specs. Certainly, the ~12% clockspeed increase wouldn't make up for 50% more physical cores on the same architecture, so what gives?
But if you look at the other specs, it starts to make more sense. Each 'core' had more ALUs, putting them at very similar cuda core counts, resulting in similar per-clock FP32 performance. Throw in more texture units and a slightly higher clockspeed, and it's no wonder 460 1GB generally performed par or slightly faster.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#37
ThePandaForest posted...
Just because I can afford to buy all the latest tech doesn't make me better than others

We're all equal in the eyes of the Lord

Isn't that right @Fade2black001

Equal in the euyes of the the father? that is true more or less but the fact is that you are flaunting all your latest hardware around, calling people jelly cause of it among other things is exactly saying you are better than everyone else. You are being a major hypocrite and the reason you fail to see this is nothing new either.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: premature tyrant

premature tyrant
1 month ago#38
i'm just stating facts

not my fault you're jelly
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pandaforest/saved/
- BEST possible gaming PC builds for the $$$ -
(message deleted)

User Info: premature tyrant

premature tyrant
1 month ago#40
final bump
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pandaforest/saved/
- BEST possible gaming PC builds for the $$$ -
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. AMD confirms more $499 VEGA 64 cards coming soon

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived