This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one immediately turned off from anime

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Am I the only one immediately turned off from anime

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#31
DiviDude posted...
JKatarn posted...
and you have a JRPG!

I wonder if it's coincidence that the very best JRPGs are the ones that don't fit that formula at all, e.g. Chrono Trigger or FF6 or Suikoden II.

Add SMT, Final Fantasy Tactics, the old Fire Emblem games, and Dark Souls.
Loves RPGs from Atlus, FromSoftware, Obsidian, and CDProjektRed.

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
2 months ago#32
Daily edgy topic checks out.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 1TB |120GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: Ilishe

Ilishe
2 months ago#33
JKatarn posted...
ElDudorino posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
It's not the art style so much as all the tropes that are invariably coming along with it.

Yeah. I'll often put off a game that looks too Japanese but if I do jump into one, I generally expect that I'll be looking for the option to disable the voice-overs within the first few minutes because I don't appreciate the high-pitched squealing that's apparently desirable in Japanese schoolgirls. And I know not to bother getting to know the characters because I've already met them before in a hundred other games and they will never develop further.

Take one:

Whiny, self-conscious lead...add

A cloyingly sweet healer chick who has known him since they were children

A strong, stoic knight to serve as a father figure (he's also the only male character over the age of 21)

Add a busty, world weary female mage

with a pinch of oafish childhood friend...and you have a JRPG!

Suikoden series, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VI, VIII, Tactics, XII, Persona series...

I mean Lunar SSSC does kinda fit but it takes some of those cliche characters and makes them deep and interesting instead.

Like, Alex is never whiny, he's brave and tenacious. Jessica is anything but sweet, but her heart is pure gold. Kyle could not be farther from a father figure, but he does more right than wrong. Ramus is perspicacious, greedy and inventive. Nash undergoes a lot of growth and it's very interesting to see him develop. Mia is not world weary at all and her bust is not the focus of attention.

But then that game gave us Ghaleon, possibly the best character in any JRPG so yeah...
~Phoenix Nine~
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~

User Info: Unknown280

Unknown280
2 months ago#34
Anime doesn't bother me probably because I kind of grew up on that stuff when it came to Dragon Ball Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto and so on, as long the game is good and fun, I couldn't care less if it looks like Anime or not.
(message deleted)

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
2 months ago#36
I used to love anime, but I watched so many series that just seemed to drag on with good payoff to the point I thought I was always wasting my time.
Combo Master

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
2 months ago#37
Nope.

In fact, the art style is not something that turns me off a game. Even if I dislike said art style.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
2 months ago#38
I clocked in 66 hours into "Tales of Berseria" that was on sale on steam three weeks ago. I don't like jrpgs or anime but hey, the game had great reviews from steam players so I took the plunge.
It surprised me. The character art was amazing and the combat system is just good enough to get me hooked.
I'm so happy that I bought it. But I will probably never play a game like that ever again.
Now, say my name.

User Info: Taitao

Taitao
2 months ago#39
Agreed. I have friends that rave all the time about Senran kagura video game series and I'm not convinced to play it all because of the design of the characters and immature sounding voice acting.

They have these typical over large eyes, no nose or a tiny dot, and the Japanese voice acting is too feminine and often sound very young like children. That's like catering to pedos.
Look at the images on the cover art and tell me they look like children. Eww
HSF2:AE

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#40
Taitao posted...
Agreed. I have friends that rave all the time about Senran kagura video game series and I'm not convinced to play it all because of the design of the characters and immature sounding voice acting.

They have these typical over large eyes, no nose or a tiny dot, and the Japanese voice acting is too feminine and often sound very young like children. That's like catering to pedos.
Look at the images on the cover art and tell me they look like children. Eww

That game is nothing but fanservice, try something else like Persona/SMT or Ys.
Loves RPGs from Atlus, FromSoftware, Obsidian, and CDProjektRed.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Am I the only one immediately turned off from anime

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived