This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

User Info: Sage JJ

Sage JJ
2 months ago#1
They worked without issue for years now (both my 360 wired and xbox one wired) but last night my daughter went to play Watchdogs and neither controller would work. I unplugged them and plugged it back in only to start getting an unrecognized device error. I tried every usb port just to get the same message. I uninstalled the drivers thinking they just needed to be reinstalled only to be hit with the error at every turn and told that the drivers are up to date even though I uninstalled them. Ive tried 3rd party driver software, ive tried a xbox windows installer yet nothing works. Any ideas on whats going on or what happened? As far as I know nothing was downloaded or updated on my pc prior to this so im at a loss here.

Im getting "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

EDIT: Ive downloaded the drivers manually but not sure where to place them. Any idea?

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
2 months ago#2
Could be an issue with the cable.

Sage JJ
2 months ago#3
Jedi454 posted...
Could be an issue with the cable.

Both controllers just stopped working. While you may be right I dont think both would just stop out the blue.

Sage JJ
2 months ago#4
bump

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
2 months ago#5
I used a 360 controller on my PC last night on windows 7. worked fine for me.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: awezomerobot

awezomerobot
2 months ago#6
If you have the drivers try following these steps.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-help

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
2 months ago#7
I did have issues with the xbox one controller a while ago. I had to go find specific windows updates. you might want to try that for xbox one controller.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

Sage JJ
2 months ago#8
awezomerobot posted...

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-help

I manually downloaded the drivers but im not sure where to put them. Heres what its doing

- Its recognized as an unknown device (not a controller)
- Gives a device drivers not installed error
- Tells me drivers are up to date if I try to auto update them (even though none installed)
- Under properties & driver details it says no drivers have been installed
- If I manually choose the location for it to update the drivers it tells me they are up to date

Uninstalling the device and reinstalling does nothing. MS fix it did not help, repairing it did not help. Im truly at a loss as both controllers worked flawlessly for years now

Sage JJ
2 months ago#9
sonicteam2k1 posted...
I did have issues with the xbox one controller a while ago. I had to go find specific windows updates. you might want to try that for xbox one controller.

Do you know the update?

User Info: awezomerobot

awezomerobot
2 months ago#10
Sage JJ posted...
awezomerobot posted...

I manually downloaded the drivers but im not sure where to put them. Heres what its doing

- Its recognized as an unknown device (not a controller)
- Gives a device drivers not installed error
- Tells me drivers are up to date if I try to auto update them (even though none installed)
- Under properties & driver details it says no drivers have been installed
- If I manually choose the location for it to update the drivers it tells me they are up to date

Uninstalling the device and reinstalling does nothing. MS fix it did not help, repairing it did not help. Im truly at a loss as both controllers worked flawlessly for years now

Did you install the xbox 360 accessories software? I had a big problem getting my xbox one controller to work with windows 7. I had to manually install the drives, then install the software, and then plug in the 360 controller first and have windows find the that device. Then finally after all those steps first, windows finally recognized the xbox one controller.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived