This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#11
Sage JJ posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
I did have issues with the xbox one controller a while ago. I had to go find specific windows updates. you might want to try that for xbox one controller.

Do you know the update?

well I had auto updates off, which is why I had to go get them manually. I forgot which ones they were. but just update windows fully and it should get installed. Also before updating, look at what updates are being installed, it should show you the controller update in that list.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Sage JJ

Sage JJ
1 month ago#12
awezomerobot posted...
Sage JJ posted...
awezomerobot posted...
If you have the drivers try following these steps.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-help

I manually downloaded the drivers but im not sure where to put them. Heres what its doing

- Its recognized as an unknown device (not a controller)
- Gives a device drivers not installed error
- Tells me drivers are up to date if I try to auto update them (even though none installed)
- Under properties & driver details it says no drivers have been installed
- If I manually choose the location for it to update the drivers it tells me they are up to date

Uninstalling the device and reinstalling does nothing. MS fix it did not help, repairing it did not help. Im truly at a loss as both controllers worked flawlessly for years now

Did you install the xbox 360 accessories software? I had a big problem getting my xbox one controller to work with windows 7. I had to manually install the drives, then install the software, and then plug in the 360 controller first and have windows find the that device. Then finally after all those steps first, windows finally recognized the xbox one controller.

What folder did you put the drivers in?

User Info: awezomerobot

awezomerobot
1 month ago#13
By manually installing I mean

Right click the unknown device that shows a problem.
Update Driver Software > Browse My computer for Driver Software > Search for drivers software in this location:

I then chose the drivers I had in the download folder.

Sage JJ
1 month ago#14
awezomerobot posted...

Update Driver Software > Browse My computer for Driver Software > Search for drivers software in this location:

I do that and I get a message that says windows determines the drivers are up to date and doesnt allow me to choose them. The weird part is if I go into driver details it tells me no drivers are installed. Its conflicting answers depending on what I click on

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#15
just as a troubleshooting step, can you plug these controls to another PC?? your friends house, next door neighbor, whatever, and see what happens

awezomerobot
1 month ago#16
Okay, when I get home I'll hunt down the driver's location for you.

Can you give me the names of the drives you downloaded so I can type them in the search function.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#17
I think in cases like this it might help to go in to the device manager and delete the entry... if you can tell which one it is. Sometimes you just get a bunch of "USB input device" or "HID Compliant Vendor defined device" or whatever mumbo-jumbo.

After you delete the entry then you plug the controller back in and it should recognize it as a new device.

But otherwise yeah, test it on another computer/console to see if it works. It could just be that the controller is dead.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
(message deleted)

awezomerobot
1 month ago#19
Sage JJ posted...
awezomerobot posted...

I do that and I get a message that says windows determines the drivers are up to date and doesnt allow me to choose them. The weird part is if I go into driver details it tells me no drivers are installed. Its conflicting answers depending on what I click on

Okay here is the location for the Xbox One controller Drivers

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\xb1usb.inf....

Sage JJ
1 month ago#20
Well I'll be damned. I hooked both Co trolleys up to my wife's and daughters laptops and each time they gave an unknown device error. I'm guessing both controllers died at the same time? How does that even happen?
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Xbox controllers no longer working on Windows 7?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived