This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How hot is too hot (GPU temps)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How hot is too hot (GPU temps)?

User Info: mw2boosterlolz

mw2boosterlolz
1 month ago#1
With the whole Xbox One vs. GTX 1060/1070 comparisons, I feel like my GTX 1060 6GB / i7 6700 setup should be able to run some games at 4K. Only problem is I'm a bit uneasy when the temps start hitting 80 degrees...

No more than 75ish sounds about right, correct?

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
1 month ago#2
depends on the GPU but generally unsafe temps are 85-90c but cooler is always better

If you're not satisfied you can trade noise for temps and set up a custom fan curve using a program like msi afterburner to get those fans cranking harder
Now Playing: GG Xrd Rev 2, GRIP, Redout
Now, let's count up your sins! | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DrPtkT

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
1 month ago#3
mw2boosterlolz posted...
With the whole Xbox One vs. GTX 1060/1070 comparisons, I feel like my GTX 1060 6GB / i7 6700 setup should be able to run some games at 4K. Only problem is I'm a bit uneasy when the temps start hitting 80 degrees...

No more than 75ish sounds about right, correct?

No. 85 and below. My GTX reaches 82-85ish when maxed out, mine gets hot because its a reference card. This is why we have fans and adequate cooling.
Rig: R5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz | MSI B350M Bazooka | EVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Headset: Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
1 month ago#4
anything over 90C generally forces the card to begin downclocking.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
1 month ago#5
TC, care to post the room temperature ("ambient") and what case and case fans you've got? Also, how's your cable management?
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 month ago#6
Just about all modern cards will cap out at 85C before thermal throttling, unless the case it's in is garbage you shouldn't have to worry about what the GPU is doing unless it sounds like a banshee.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
1 month ago#7
90-100 degrees is the hot range. 80-85 is the "limit" before the GPU itself starts heavy throttling (turbo gets reduced at lower temps).

Temps on the 100 celsius are the "dangerous" ones, as they force heavy performance downclocking as well as turning off the GPU if it reaches even higher temps without controlling it.

80s is normal for air cooled cards, being push hard. 4K is very very taxing. When I play regular games at 1080p even at high refresh rate, I run between 70-80 celsius temps. when I play 4K, I often see between 80-85 celcius, and then the GPU begins throttling down from 2Ghz to 1.9 etc or lower so I've rarely see more than 85 celsius.

Ambient temperatures heavily influence your max heavy loaded temps. These temps I posted are usually with 30-35 celsius, so its kinda hot inside the house due to summer. In cold temps, I never break over the 70s range ha.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#8
I wouldn't let it get too close to 90C.
Ryzen 5 1600X @4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

User Info: krazycharlie

krazycharlie
1 month ago#9
Anything equaling and above 85c is unacceptable.
"U mad bro?".

User Info: ZaruenKosai

ZaruenKosai
1 month ago#10
My video card says hello.

R9 390 can go to 94 C and be perfectly safely functional.
I6700K - ASUS R9 390 STRIX - 16 Gigs DDR4 3200 - Z170-XP - Corsair 500R
"You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!"
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How hot is too hot (GPU temps)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived