This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
2 months ago#1
To be clear, the $800 budget is for mobo, CPU, cooler, and RAM. And of course shipping and taxes :P

I waited till today's Coffee Lake reveal and well, I got mobile processors so yeah, going with Ryzen since I don't want to continue the waiting game.

Usage:
- 4K gaming at 30/60 fps: GPU bound so not going Intel is not a big deal here.
- Emulators: Upgrade probably minimal here vs my existing i7
- Photography stuff: From analysis I've seen on Lightroom, it performance currently plateaus after 4-6 cores, but when combined with gaming while it processes something, I think a 8c/16t Ryzen will be useful. This is why I'm upgrading.

Current thoughts with Amazon Prime pricing, as this is my preferred since shipping to Hawaii can be pricey.

Ryzen 7 1700X $348.65
ASUS X370 Prime Pro $159.95
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz $147.99
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 $89.99
Total $777.43 (with taxes)

I am considering cutting costs on RAM or cooler for the 1800X but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I think I'll get single core performance comparable or better than my current i7 at base with the 1700X, so even if the OC silicon lottery doesn't work out for me, I at least have that vs plain 1700.

I'm also up for cheaper cooler and smaller cooler options that come with AM4 brackets out-of-the-box. The cheaper Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 is available and would that be sufficient for hopefully decent OC? I originally was looking at the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 but that's out of stock at Amazon and Newegg. The sheer size of the D15 makes me think twice since I imagine it would be difficult to maintain the computer after mounting it. Probably should add thermal compound to the above order to have something on hand for future remounting.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
2 months ago#2
What GPU are you using? are you factoring the GPU into the budget?

I would even recommend a regular ryzen 1600 and overclock it to 4ghz. Should be even cheaper, and its gaming performance is still just as good as the other ryzens. Even the included wraith cooler on non X versions does a good job of overclocking the CPU up to 3.9ghz.

I would also consider a non X 1700, and then just use whatever cooler you want. Both the X and non X have very similar overclocking ceiling.

What else you don't need in your budget? I assume case, hdds?

Oh also, I managed to get 3.9ghz on a ryzen 1600 build, on a cheap MSI B250 motherboard. Not sure what benefit there is to the higher end boards, for single GPU builds, I am very ignorant on mobos right now with ryzen.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: darkus_f

darkus_f
2 months ago#3
If you plan on overclocking anyway, might as well get the 1700, clock for clock they'll perform the same.

Also, are you going to SLI/Crossfire? Probably since you're playing at 4K... but if not, then you don't need a 370 mobo.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

User Info: Cyun

Cyun
2 months ago#4
Ryzeki posted...

I would even recommend a regular ryzen 1600 and overclock it to 4ghz. Should be even cheaper, and its gaming performance is still just as good as the other ryzens. Even the included wraith cooler on non X versions does a good job of overclocking the CPU up to 3.9ghz.

I would also consider a non X 1700, and then just use whatever cooler you want. Both the X and non X have very similar overclocking ceiling.

Oh also, I managed to get 3.9ghz on a ryzen 1600 build, on a cheap MSI B250 motherboard. Not sure what benefit there is to the higher end boards, for single GPU builds, I am very ignorant on mobos right now with ryzen.

what speed ram are you using? The most difficult thing about picking an AM4 board right now are all the conflicting reports about ram speed people are getting? If i just had a guarantee that a mobo would get me 3200mhz i'd make picking one so much easier. I'm just using a single card, already have an amazing dac/headphone amp so don't need great mobo sound, and don't care about rgb. Really just looking for a board with potential for even a modest overclock to 3.8ghz. Leaning towards the MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON, but picking a good mobo seems so much more confusing than any thing else with all the conflicting reports.

onoturtle
2 months ago#5
@Ryzeki I'm using my existing hardware for everything else. CPU has been one thing I pushed off upgrading for a long time since my current CPU seems ok for my current gaming. But since I'm now merging my photography stuff into the system and we get nice upgrade in core counts this year, I think now is a good time.

Current build: (the core of it is from a 5-year old Dell XPS8500)
Fractal Design Define R5
Intel i7 3770 (non-K) with some kind of cooler from Dell [to be replaced]
Stock Dell mobo and 12 GB DDR3 [to be replaced]
Corsair CX750M PSU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
Samsung 1TB SSD (SATA) and probably Seagate 2TB HDD (I forget)

@darkus_f Having SLI on the table for the future is a plus but I'm not planning that now. But I'll check on B350 features and pricing. I kind of feel like single GPU is the way to go anyway.

I'm thinking of the 1700X since it should be binned higher than 1700 while not costing a huge amount more like the 1800X. Sure I could get lucky on the silicon lottery but I'm hesitant to bet on that :P

Ryzeki
2 months ago#6
Cyun posted...
Ryzeki posted...

what speed ram are you using? The most difficult thing about picking an AM4 board right now are all the conflicting reports about ram speed people are getting? If i just had a guarantee that a mobo would get me 3200mhz i'd make picking one so much easier. I'm just using a single card, already have an amazing dac/headphone amp so don't need great mobo sound, and don't care about rgb. Really just looking for a board with potential for even a modest overclock to 3.8ghz. Leaning towards the MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON, but picking a good mobo seems so much more confusing than any thing else with all the conflicting reports.

I believe it is an MSI PC MATE B350 board, it costed like 80dlrs. Using 3200mhz RAM, but at first when ryzen launched it wouldn't run above 2400mhz, right now it runs at 2900mhz with a slightly older update, and I just saw there is a new BIOS that I should download to try. With Ryzen you really want the latest BIOS based on AGESA 1.0.0.6 to get the most out of compatibility and OC. And Ryzen Master for the CPU. All Ryzens overclock to the same range, some 100-200mhz more, but for the most part they tend to reach 3.9-4ghz. X versions only had a higher stock frequency.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

Ryzeki
2 months ago#7
onoturtle posted...
@Ryzeki I'm using my existing hardware for everything else. CPU has been one thing I pushed off upgrading for a long time since my current CPU seems ok for my current gaming. But since I'm now merging my photography stuff into the system and we get nice upgrade in core counts this year, I think now is a good time.

Fractal Design Define R5
Corsair CX750M PSU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC

@darkus_f Having SLI on the table for the future is a plus but I'm not planning that now. But I'll check on B350 features and pricing. I kind of feel like single GPU is the way to go anyway.

I'm thinking of the 1700X since it should be binned higher than 1700 while not costing a huge amount more like the 1800X. Sure I could get lucky on the silicon lottery but I'm hesitant to bet on that :P

Oh then in that case the 1700 makes sense. I still wouldnt go for a X, as every review I have seen, and almost every user I have read, all maxes out in a very similar clockspeed, be it a regular ryzen or X variant. I would get the normal Ryzen 1700 and then a good cooler, and dial up to 4Ghz.

As mentioned, I don't know the benefits of higher end boards, but a normal B350 board I have overclocked, and use fast RAM, so I don't know. Maybe the higher end boards overclock better or something, but all I have seen point to a very similar 4ghz ceiling, on all CPUs, including quad cores. Funny enough, it seems Threadrippers are actually better binned/stable at 4.1ghz or something.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
2 months ago#8
1600X . It's the same as the 1800X top CPU with 2 cores disabled. Decent overclockers too if you're running water cooling.

Keep your GTX 1080 and get some 3000MHz+ DDR4.

Boom. Enjoy ;)
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 @ 2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
2 months ago#9
onoturtle posted...

Fractal Design Define R5
Corsair CX750M PSU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Your not going to see any increase in gaming performance, and if you do it will be slight provided you have 3200mhz ram. It will help with non gaming applications.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

onoturtle
2 months ago#10
@BrokenMachine85 I was considering the R5 1600/1600X when this was going to be a pure gaming rig and save some $$, but I'm moving over my photography stuff (mostly Lightroom) and general daily home stuff over the system too, so the 8 cores should come into play. In the past years I had a separate machine for that stuff because I have a MacBook Pro for school/work. I'm no longer a student and I no longer need to use the MBP at my job, so I rather move over my laptop's tasks over to my desktop and spend my money here rather than spreading it between maintaining two systems. Should be cheaper overall. Especially since I no longer need to deal with Apple :P That laptop was $3000 and a I did a screen repair once for $600+. Ugh. Good thing I abandoned Apple's Aperture years ago for Adobe Lightroom. Makes the transition to Windows smoother.

@Ryzeki Threadripper gets the top 5% Ryzen dies, IIRC. I'm still skeptical that I'd get lucky with the 1700 like with other internet reports. But it does give me a stock cooler, which does open the doors for impatient me to more cooler options since I can use that while waiting on manufacturers to send AM4 brackets. For now I'm keeping the Noctua until I find a better idea.

So if I go 1700 and the B350 version of the ASUS Prime, pricing goes down ~$100. The previous was already within in my budget but I don't mind cutting out stuff not really necessary to save a buck :) Could bump up RAM speed, I suppose (EDIT: yeah, can do Corsair's 3200 option for $12 more). I'm fine with the number of SATA and USB ports the Prime B350 has. I have more drive bays than ports on my case but its not like I think I'd actually fill them up haha I currently use 4 SATA ports: SSD, HDD and two old optical drives I've been handing down that I really haven't used in years anyway so those can go when I really need the port for another HDD or whatever!

I'll see what I can dig up on the VRMs and other OC factors that may differ between these ASUS Prime X370 vs B350.

Ryzen 7 1700 299.89
ASUS Prime B350 Plus 99.89
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz 147.99
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 89.99
Total 663.48 (with taxes)

@oblique365 Yeah, I'm not really expecting my gaming to be impacted. The change is to handle additional tasks in the background.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived