This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
1 month ago#11
onoturtle posted...
@BrokenMachine85 I was considering the R5 1600/1600X when this was going to be a pure gaming rig and save some $$, but I'm moving over my photography stuff (mostly Lightroom) and general daily home stuff over the system too, so the 8 cores should come into play. In the past years I had a separate machine for that stuff because I have a MacBook Pro for school/work. I'm no longer a student and I no longer need to use the MBP at my job, so I rather move over my laptop's tasks over to my desktop and spend my money here rather than spreading it between maintaining two systems. Should be cheaper overall. Especially since I no longer need to deal with Apple :P That laptop was $3000 and a I did a screen repair once for $600+. Ugh. Good thing I abandoned Apple's Aperture years ago for Adobe Lightroom. Makes the transition to Windows smoother.

@Ryzeki Threadripper gets the top 5% Ryzen dies, IIRC. I'm still skeptical that I'd get lucky with the 1700 like with other internet reports. But it does give me a stock cooler, which does open the doors for impatient me to more cooler options since I can use that while waiting on manufacturers to send AM4 brackets. For now I'm keeping the Noctua until I find a better idea.

So if I go 1700 and the B350 version of the ASUS Prime, pricing goes down ~$100. The previous was already within in my budget but I don't mind cutting out stuff not really necessary to save a buck :) Could bump up RAM speed, I suppose (EDIT: yeah, can do Corsair's 3200 option for $12 more). I'm fine with the number of SATA and USB ports the Prime B350 has. I have more drive bays than ports on my case but its not like I think I'd actually fill them up haha I currently use 4 SATA ports: SSD, HDD and two old optical drives I've been handing down that I really haven't used in years anyway so those can go when I really need the port for another HDD or whatever!

I'll see what I can dig up on the VRMs and other OC factors that may differ between these ASUS Prime X370 vs B350.

Ryzen 7 1700 299.89
ASUS Prime B350 Plus 99.89
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz 147.99
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 89.99
Total 663.48 (with taxes)

@oblique365 Yeah, I'm not really expecting my gaming to be impacted. The change is to handle additional tasks in the background.

This sounds like a sensible upgrade and budget. You can save up for a new upgrade later, or a new monitor or many other things.

For example, I moved up from SSD sata+ HDD to PCIe M.2 SSD and SATA SSD for storage. Now I have full power! :p

But yeah, for multitasking, the Ryzen 1700 will be a great upgrade. Gaming performance should be, at worst, identical, while in reality it should be better than your current system, considering you are going to run on a higher IPC system, and higher clocks. Ryzen looses vs Intel in gaming mainly because intel has a slight IPC advantage combined with a massive clock advantage. This makes the intel better for 200fps gaming, and ryzen only up to 140 in some games, at best.

For me, the higher price of Ryzen 1700X plus the lack of stock cooler, make little sense, considering both seem to overclock about the same.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 month ago#12
1600X
ASUS X370 Strix
G.Skill trident Z RGB 3000mhz CL14
Any 240mm AIO compatible with AM4

Can be had for quite a bit less than $800 btw.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
1 month ago#13
Thanks for the advice @Ryzeki @darkus_f @oblique365

I think I'll go with the ASUS Prime B350 Plus mobo with the 1700 on stock cooler. That mobo seems fine for OCing a 1700. Some posts else where had concerns over the VRMs and such for OCing R7 on B350 vs the less demanding R5. I don't know much about the subject but it sounded like ASUS has good VRM on this mobo so maybe that's why its one of the exceptions. E.g. this user gets to 3.7 GHz on the 1700 with stock cooler on this mobo pretty reasonably https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-7-1700-b350-overclocking-tidbits.1926296/ They had to get a better cooler to go further.

Even if I lose the lottery and don't make to that 3.7 on stock, I should still end up with better single threaded performance my i7 3770 (3.4 base, 3.9 boost IIRC) due to better higher clock and IPC. Maybe not a huge improvement but that's not really my goal with this build. I can pick up a better cooler later if I feel like pushing it further.

I did have to bump up the RAM price though. I checked the mobo QVL and the RAM I picked would run way below the advertised price :( This new one is on the list and can run at DOCP 32000, which looks to be the fastest mobo can do, at least for current BIOS. Yes, still slower than what the RAM supposedly can do but at least its 32000. The RAM situation with Ryzen is pretty wacky, huh?

I don't care for RGB/LEDs but oh boy I have them now haha

Ryzen 1700 with Wraith Spire LED Cooler $299.89
ASUS Prime B350-Plus $99.89
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) C16 - CMR16GX4M2C3466C16 $184.99
Total $612.33 (with tax)

So yeah, still got room for a cooler in my budget, but I'll delay that purchase.

User Info: darkus_f

darkus_f
1 month ago#14
Sweet! Post pics when you have it up and running!
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#15
Looks good to me. Best of luck with the build =)
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | GTX 1080 @2GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe | Quake Champions
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen build suggestions, $800 budget

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived