This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

User Info: Sageroy

Sageroy
1 month ago#1
I want to start gaming on PC. I'm currently playing Skyrim on my Gateway SX but it wasn't designed as a gaming PC, so I have to really downgrade my settings and run Razer to even run 30 fps. After this the game looks really muddy and even lags some time. I haven't bought any games from Steam since then because I don't want them to just sit, but on to the real question.

What kind of PC should I buy? I know of some really beefy gaming PCs that cost $6800 but I've also heard that you can get powerful ones for way less than that, somewhere in the hundreds I believe. I'm a college student as well, so I'm looking to spend maybe...up to $200-1500? I don't need a phenomenal cosmically powered PC, just something that can run a stable 60fps so I can play my games without adjusting the settings to hell.
Don't preen yourself just for doing your job.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#2
Plain and simple you not going to get a mind blowing gaming PC for 500 bucks especially from a prebuilt one. Now you can get a decent one for 1080P gaming on nice settings if you build it.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: AimlessDork

AimlessDork
1 month ago#3
No good gaming PC is going to cost half a grand. Def not 2-500.

Sageroy posted...
What kind of PC should I buy? I know of some really beefy gaming PCs that cost $6800

I'm struggling to think what you would even hit $6800 worth of hardware in a PC with that isn't just being excessive for the sake of excess. .
GTX 1070, i7-6700, NZXT Phantom 530, W10
Ps4. Ps3. PC. 3DS

User Info: sampama226

sampama226
1 month ago#4
Its not gonna be worth it to get a computer that costs you anything less than $800, and you would have to build it. Even then you're better off saving up and getting something worthwhile for around $1000.
RIG: I7-6700k, MSI GTX 970, Asus Z170-E, Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR4, Kingston 960gb SSD, Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD, NZXT H440

User Info: loader963

loader963
1 month ago#5
A used MacBook Pro off of eBay!
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#6
loader963 posted...

nice joke
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#7
You're not going to get a great gaming PC for that budget, and it would certainly rule out a pre-built as any pre-built PC in that price-range is going to be a basic-use office machine. Save up your money until you have $850-1000 or so (trust me on this), and with a bit of searching you will be able to assemble a decent all-around machine with a good modern CPU, solid 1060/1070 GPU and 16+GB of RAM that will max out any game at 1080/1440p at 60+ FPS. It's very rare for a PC to be $6800, but you certainly aren't going to get a good gaming PC for only $200-499, trust me on that. You'll have to cut so many corners to fit a decent gaming GPU into that tight budget that you'll end up with a cheap CPU/Mobo/PSU, you'll have to rely on rebates/limited time sales/used components and you'll likely find yourself wanting to upgrade it within 6 months anyway.

This may seem relatively expensive compared to a console, but remember, you can do a lot more on a decent PC than you could ever hope to do on a console, you'll save a lot on games over consoles, and once you have a decent system, you can save money by just upgrading it as needed.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#8
loader963 posted...

Is completely useless for gaming, but good job actually reading TC's post.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

Sageroy
1 month ago#9
JKatarn posted...
You're not going to get a great gaming PC for that budget, and it would certainly rule out a pre-built as any pre-built PC in that price-range is going to be a basic-use office machine. Save up your money until you have $850-1000 or so (trust me on this), and with a bit of searching you will be able to assemble a decent all-around machine with a good modern CPU, solid 1060/1070 GPU and 16+GB of RAM that will max out any game at 1080/1440p at 60+ FPS. It's very rare for a PC to be $6800, but you certainly aren't going to get a good gaming PC for only $200-499, trust me on that. You'll have to cut so many corners to fit a decent gaming GPU into that tight budget that you'll end up with a cheap CPU/Mobo/PSU, you'll have to rely on rebates/limited time sales/used components and you'll likely find yourself wanting to upgrade it within 6 months anyway.

This may seem relatively expensive compared to a console, but remember, you can do a lot more on a decent PC than you could ever hope to do on a console, you'll save a lot on games over consoles, and once you have a decent system, you can save money by just upgrading it as needed.

I'd rather buy a prebuilt one instead of building one.

Sageroy
1 month ago#10
Fine then, $1500 is my new budget.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived