This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#31
i'm not even going to deal with this today fade
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Sageroy

Sageroy
3 months ago#32
Can we stop having a contest to see who's dick is bigger and focus on the topic?
Don't preen yourself just for doing your job.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#33
Sageroy posted...
Can we stop having a contest to see who's dick is bigger and focus on the topic?

your topic is nonsensical because you shouldn't buy a pc, you should build one
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#34
Spend $1000. You'll be happy.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hj9yPs
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | MSI GTX Gaming X 1070 | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Prime Z270-A

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#35
Stop steering this kid wrong.

I can guarantee that there are PC's in the wild that can do what he wants.

I am even selling an XPS-410 i3, with more than enough to handle Skyrim, for $200. For another $100 slap a GTX 750 ti in it, and you have a PS4 rivaling Gaming PC.

IF you are in NC, Raleigh area, Come get it. I'm even including a second Graphics card for it, if you decide that you rather use a GAMING GPU over the 4K GPU that is currently installed in it.

Neither Card is a killer card, but both will run Skyrim without much issue. Not MAXED, but at 30fps you can definitely get 1080p, without sacrificing too much.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
3 months ago#36
Sageroy posted...

Mine is the biggest.

b2t
Which resolution do you want to play on? Do you need a new monitor? How about the OS?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HGGsGf

This build is without a graphics card. And this is a solid and "futureproof" setup(at least as far as such things can be futureproof) and all you would have to do in ~3 years+ is to buy a new graphics card, the rest will last at least 5 years.

So all you need is to add:
Gtx 1060/RX 580 for 1080p gaming
Gtx 1070/1080 for 1440p gaming (with a lot of games being capable to be played @4k)
1080ti for 4k.

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 months ago#37
What about buying a prebuilt computer with everything capable of being a gaming PC, but with a s***ty video card, then buy the video card separate? It may be cheaper than buying the good video card from the people who are selling you the prebuilt.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#38
CapwnD posted...
What about buying a prebuilt computer with everything capable of being a gaming PC, but with a s***ty video card, then buy the video card separate? It may be cheaper than buying the good video card from the people who are selling you the prebuilt.

This isn't actually a bad way to get into PC gaming. It's less daunting than installing the whole system, and it'll give you a taste for the insides of the PC, while also potentially being relatively affordable.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 months ago#39
^ that's what I was thinking, still more than if he built himself but it might make it more obvious how to build a PC next time.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
3 months ago#40
I would highly advise building a PC over buying a prebuilt one. I built my first PC in June of 2016, and it wasn't quite as hard as I was expecting. There were some semi-difficult bits, but those were mostly due to tight spaces and routing wires. I had a friend help me, and if that's an option for you, that can make the process even easier.

I ended up needing to completely gut and rebuilt my PC to upgrade my motherboard this year (the one I initially bought sucked). I did that myself, but it was super easy, since I had already put the PC together once before.

There are a lot of step by step guides and videos to walk you through the process online, and you will almost invariably get a more powerful PC for cheaper by building your own than by buying a premade one. But, the choice is ultimately yours.

You could probably build a really solid PC that can attain a 1080p resolution and 60 FPS frame rate for about $800 to $1000 (give or take -- I see some budget builds listed online for as low as $500, but haven't looked into them), depending on the brand and type of parts you get. Oh, and the $800 to $1000 cost should include everything you need, like the OS and a basic monitor. I don't know if some of the budget builds include those.

Even if you do buy a premade PC over building your own, here are some things you'll want to consider:

I've only used Nvidia GPUs, so I can't comment on AMD. You'll probably want a GTX 1060 if 1080p is as high a resolution as you're hoping for. That would likely give you enough muscle to run just about every game at that resolution and at 60+ FPS. If you ever want to have the card remain competitive for longer, you may want a 1070. If you think you'll ever want to display in 4K, a 1080 or 1080ti might better suit your needs, but those are more expensive. (http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/)

It may be worth starting with a cheaper card that can do 1080p, 60 FPS now and wait until the next line of GPUs comes out, and then buy something like a 1080 at a lower price than it would cost now.

I've only ever used Intel processors, so I can't speak for AMD. But, processor-wise, you could possibly get by with an i5, but for a little over $100 more, you could get an i7. I'd compare the two and see which ones better meet your needs. If you're not intending to game at 4K or do things like video rendering, major multitasking, etc. I don't think you'll need anything over an i7, at least starting out. (http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/)

Make sure you know what power supply you're getting. Some prebuilt PCs may come with s***ty, off-brand power supplies. If the website doesn't say what brand the power supply is, ask them. Research the brand. If it sucks, go elsewhere. Brands like Corsair, EVGA, and Seasonic are well known brands (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html). I have a Corsair, myself, and have had no problems with it.

If you do build a PC, make sure you know the total wattage consumption of all your components. Each part will list watt usage somewhere in its description on a store's webpage. Give yourself some flex in the event you want to upgrade the GPU, add fans, LEDs, or whatever. If your PC uses 600 watts of power, it might be better to get a 700 or 750 watt supply, if you can afford it.

Gskill, Corsair, and Kingston are some of the best known RAM manufacturers out there. You may want to just start out with 8 GB RAM and, if you decide you want more, upgrade to 16 GB. I think most games are fine with 8 GB RAM. I have 16 GB in my rig. If you're buying or building on a budget, it's going to be cheaper and easier to start with less and buy another stick if you need it. At this stage, I doubt you'd need more than 16 GB RAM. (http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ddr4-ram/)

I hope this helps.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to start PC Gaming, what PC should I buy?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived