This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best controller for PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best controller for PC?

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#21
Depends how your hands and fingers are put together honestly.
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | GTX 1080 @ 2GHz | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

User Info: AnatomyHorror

AnatomyHorror
1 month ago#22
I'll go with the DS4. If I could use the steam controller well, I'd go with that. It's amazing the things that you can do with it.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#23
kobalobasileus posted...
Xbox controllers are great

Well, everyone complained about how once the Xbox standard came into being, there were no more unique controllers. Everything kinda had to look somewhat like an Xbox controller. I enjoy that there's a standard but I think there's room for the DirectInput style as well.

kobalobasileus posted...
Steam controllers are great.

The only thing I dislike about the steam controller is the lack of a 2nd analog stick for games that really NEED one (twin stick shooters)... the trackpad is versatile but I find myself missing the tactile feel and resistance of an analog stick in some games.

kobalobasileus posted...
Specialty controllers like racing wheels, fighting sticks, Hydras, etc. are great.

Racing wheels totally change the way a game plays. Also in VR, it adds that extra bit of immersion to the game. Same for the HOTAS controllers and flight/space sims. I don't know anything about the Hydra...

Weirdest controller that never really caught on was the Novint Falcon. I almost bought one ages ago, but the price (and lack of guaranteed use in games) made me think better of the idea. At one point though they were giving them away to people if you signed up to play a few rounds against some guy in TF2 using a Novint Falcon. I Kinda wish I had gotten one that way. It looked interesting (and provided actual force feedback in ways that other controllers can't).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
1 month ago#24
For overall, DS4. Everything is just set up very well with the added benefit of having two extra buttons and 4 directional swipes.

X360 for smaller budgets.

Steam for stuff the other two can't do as well. While I'm ok with the second stick being absent since the track pad and gyro are much better (together), the face buttons on it could do a rework. Back paddles are also pretty nice.

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
1 month ago#25
wentzelot posted...
shmirlywhirl posted...
I'm going with my NES or SNES controller through a USB adapter. I only play platformers with a controller and these have some of the best d-pads out there.

this is acceptable choice but some modern 2 d games need an L1 AND L2 button .. or incorporate the analog in some way , etc

Haven't played a game where I've seen an analog required. For games that need more buttons I used some controller mapping software and can set select + L = L2 etc. Not the most elegant solution but its been working for me. Haven't found a reasonably priced controller with a decent dpad, though I've stopped looking long ago.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

User Info: SirisS_G_P

SirisS_G_P
1 month ago#26
HeliosMagi posted...
There are a huge number of controllers that you can use on PC, either supported natively or with 3rd party programs like DS4Windows. I've only ever used an Xbox 360, so I was wondering what you guys prefer.

DS4Windows? What is that trash, if you're going to use the 3rd best controller at least use the Steam built in support for it.
Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sirisS-G-P/

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#27
SirisS_G_P posted...
HeliosMagi posted...
There are a huge number of controllers that you can use on PC, either supported natively or with 3rd party programs like DS4Windows. I've only ever used an Xbox 360, so I was wondering what you guys prefer.

DS4Windows? What is that trash, if you're going to use the 3rd best controller at least use the Steam built in support for it.

What if you don't use Steam for every single game? I personally prefer to use GoG whenever possible, and I'm also heavily into emulation.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
1 month ago#28
HeliosMagi posted...
SirisS_G_P posted...
HeliosMagi posted...

What if you don't use Steam for every single game? I personally prefer to use GoG whenever possible, and I'm also heavily into emulation.

DS4 is the answer then to all your needs! Let not others pidgeon hold you to one tool for one job when Ds4 accomplishes all jobs with one thing - DS4Windows.

Whether its swiping left to save state or quick save, swiping right to load or fast forward, left and right press for volume control, or simply controlling your all cursors with only thumbs --All walks of life can be traversed with your DS4 controller. There may be many like it but how you choose to customize it is what makes it yours.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#29
No clue. I haven't tried them all.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
1 month ago#30
Imho the best is the Switch Pro controller, followed by DS4 and Xbox One.
But due to the carefree compatibility and that most games use Xbox One prompts, I would use Xbox One controller, if I had to chose one.

Though I haven't used the Steamcontroller, so I can't compare it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best controller for PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived