This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam and traveling worldwide

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam and traveling worldwide

User Info: Metal_Gear_Link

Metal_Gear_Link
3 months ago#1
There are a few PC games I want to play but I travel a lot due to my job.

As far as I know steam bans you if you but games in anotehr location or play in anotehr location

So can I use proxys to the US or should I don't bother and just play Switch and PS4 on the go?
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 and SUPER SMASH BROSS BRAWL!!! 2007 games of the year!!!!
If you believe in Goku and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.

User Info: steve_madsci

steve_madsci
3 months ago#2
Some Steam games are region locked, and you won't be able to play them outside the designated regions; these games simply won't play, there's no way to get accidentally banned. Spoofing your location using proxies to bypass region locks, however, is a good way to get yourself banned.

For the most part, games you purchase from Steam for your own account are almost never region locked (there are exceptions, of course). You can play these games anywhere in the world, just make sure your Steam region settings are set to your country of permanent residence.

Steam gifts and keys bought from resellers are the ones where you run into locks to prevent reselling keys across regions. If you're going to be traveling a lot, stay away from these keys unless the discount is enough that it's worth only being able to play at home.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#3
Probably best off with the latter. But if you travel a lot I can think of it being worthwhile to get yourself a gaming laptop. You can use if for work and gaming. Thats if you can afford the higher cost of gaming laptop and don't mind forgoing the ability to upgrade your GPU. Even when it becomes too dated for gaming, you still got a nice work laptop.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam and traveling worldwide

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived