This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a school laptop

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for a school laptop

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
3 months ago#1
I already have a laptop but haven't used it since I built my desktop. Just booted it up today and it took >1min lol. I'm a freshman going for a Computer Science major.

I'm not 100% on buying a new laptop but if it comes down to me really needing to buy one, what would you recommend?

Things that should be on it (unless you recommend otherwise):
- SSD only ( >256gb, don't want those long ass boot times)
- Relatively slim
- 14inch (unless you recommend otherwise)
- >8gb of ram
- Be able to run LoL, although I can forgo this last one
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#2
If you're going for a Computer Science major, you're definitely going to want a newer laptop with a decent CPU, RAM and HD space. If you were a CAD etc. major I would say get a decent GPU, but for computer science that shouldn't be an issue, and any recent integrated GPU should handle LoL just fine.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

Loui5planks
3 months ago#3
JKatarn posted...
If you're going for a Computer Science major, you're definitely going to want a newer laptop with a decent CPU, RAM and HD space. If you were a CAD etc. major I would say get a decent GPU, but for computer science that shouldn't be an issue, and any recent integrated GPU should handle LoL just fine.

My sentiments also. Any brand you would recommend? Imo, I'm avoiding HP like the plague. I've had this asus for almost 4 years, but its showing the signs of aging.
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#4
What model is your current laptop? If it isn't too old, you can try to salvage that. Otherwise, we'll need a budget before we start looking for another.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
3 months ago#5
Dell, Lenovo, Asus and MSI laptops are the best from my experience. HP and Acer are trash.
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

Loui5planks
3 months ago#6
Masamune_DS posted...
What model is your current laptop? If it isn't too old, you can try to salvage that. Otherwise, we'll need a budget before we start looking for another.

Its an asus g46... I dont remember of the top of my head. It was decent when I first bought it, you think an SSD would be worth it on that?

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#7
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G46VW/

Is it this? With which CPU, the i5 or i7? And since the start-up took some time, I'll assume it has the 750gb SSHD, correct? All the other variants have a SSD.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

Loui5planks
3 months ago#8
Masamune_DS posted...
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G46VW/

Is it this? With which CPU, the i5 or i7? And since the start-up took some time, I'll assume it has the 750gb SSHD, correct? All the other variants have a SSD.

Yeah thats the one I have. Its the i5 variant. Going to use that until I can find a replacement and maybe donate the G46vw

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#9
I think you can get a bit more life out of it. If you're up for it, I suggest grabbing a SSD for the OS + etc, and upping the RAM to 16gb.

User Info: Chass1990

Chass1990
3 months ago#10
Since you were going to abandon the laptop anyway, I suggest booting into recovery and restoring it to factory settings. Sometimes that is all you need to have the PC running as good as new.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 * Xeon E3-1246 v3 * Noctua NH-U12S * MSI GTX 970 * Sound Blaster Z * HyperX Savage 32GB * 850 Evo * Supernova G2 750W * Phanteks Enthoo Pro
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for a school laptop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived