This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1080p Ultra vs. 1440p High vs. 4K Medium

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 1080p Ultra vs. 1440p High vs. 4K Medium

User Info: TheRaging

TheRaging
3 months ago#11
MASKOAAA posted...
1440p high, on most games the difference between high and ultra is really hard to tell
Enthoo EVOLV ATX | i7-6850K | X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200 MHz | EVGA 1080 Ti | 840 Evo 250GBx2 | SuperNOVA 1200 P2

User Info: drekula2

drekula2
3 months ago#12
Somato posted...
Is it a hard life not being able to form your own opinions?

Well, moreso I've never really gamed in 4K. So I can't form my opinion on something I haven't done yet.

User Info: drekula2

drekula2
3 months ago#13
Some people have told me they keep textures on ultra and everything else on high to keep their frame rate high.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
3 months ago#14
Somato posted...

Making this post, with your signature, makes you look like a complete tool. Just in case you care.

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
3 months ago#15
depends on the game really but generally 1440p is better. if a game has true 4k textures then you are going to notice it but smaller things like what type of ao you use and what not isnt going to make much of a difference between high and ultra.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#16
I have played a few games in 4K on PS4 and on PC... You do notice distant details a lot more... and when you do screenshots (something I do a LOT) you get a much more usable image to work with... Something that is VERY important to me.

Otherwise, I run whatever resolution runs the game well enough to enjoy the game.

If I can run a game at 4k 30fps steady, I will, but it is REALLY rare to find anything that my 750ti likes at 4K. I have played Skyrim, Drifting Lands, and a handful of shovelware games at 4K... dark souls 3 at 4K for about 2 minutes, hovering the 8-15 frames area, and DS2 with 22 fps... but I obviously opted for the setting on the Souls games that made it run at 60fps... considering they require accuracy and timing.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
3 months ago#17
I have gamed much on my launch PS4, so at 1080p, 30 to maybe sometimes 60 FPS, with HDR (since they updated the firmware so that even standard PS4s can utilize HDR-equipped TVs), and at 4K, 60 FPS on PC. Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider capped at about 57 FPS after lowering a couple of settings, but in games like Doom 2016 and Mass Effect: Andromeda, I can run games in 4K at 60 FPS with every setting maxed.

So, considering the stock PS4 is like a mid-range (or thereabouts) PC, I'd say the graphical immersion it can create is moderate to good, depending on a lot of factors. Really, it comes down to game design. Like, Horizon: Zero Dawn may only be 1080p on a standard PS4, but the devs really make use of the system's resources and design the game in such a way where it becomes immersive.

Conversely, playing a game like Rise of the Tomb Raider at 4K, with every setting maxed, except for AA, which I set to SMAA instead of SSAA x2 or x4 and ambient occlusion, which I set to On instead of HBAO+, is a sight to behold, and makes even relatively mundanely designed environments shine.

But, you asked about 4K low, and I haven't played on that. However, I'll say that I have played Fallout 4 both on the standard PS4 at 1080p/?? FPS (I'm guessing 30), and at 4K (I didn't benchmark the FPS I was getting then) on PC, and I was about equally immersed in the game. I think it's, in part, about how much s*** you're willing to let go in terms of graphical slips and your attention to detail. If you are able to suspend your disbelief, I think you could get a lot of enjoyment out of 4K low, for example. I just haven't tried.

However, like I said, I have enjoyed a big game (again, Fallout 4) in 1080p at a comparatively low frame rate on a console just fine, which is probably about like playing it in medium or low in a PC. And it didn't bother me any. But that was before I owned a gaming PC, so my attitude may be different than yours, if you have been a PC gamer for a long time.

I will say I think the best marriage would be 1440p and 144 FPS, if you have a rig that could manage it. 4K is great, but most, if not all, of today's displays, TVs and monitors included, are capped at 60 FPS. As much as I love 4K, I also love playing at a smooth frame rate.

The first time I got Rise of the Tomb Raider running near 60 FPS was after I had already beaten it and realized I'd only been getting less than 30 FPS (I had everything maxed) the whole time. I dropped AA and ambient occlusion to the settings mentioned above and started tooling around in the post-game, and it was like I was playing a whole different game. And Doom '16 is so well optimized (or at least less demanding than RotTR), that I can max everything, run Vulkan, and play it at 4K at a near constant 60 FPS. It felt like I was gaming on speed! As a lifelong console gamer to that point, I had never, ever experienced anything like that.

So, I can only imagine what 144 FPS would feel like. It's just that, since I am gaming on a 4K TV, I'm capped at 60 FPS. And even if I got a 4K monitor, the ones currently out are only capable of 60 FPS. 144 FPS 4K monitors are on the horizon, but there's no telling what they'll cost. Last I checked, the two manufacturers who have announced 4K, 144 FPS monitors hadn't even listed a price yet.

So, IMO, your best bet might be gaming at 1440p, 144 FPS. That way you could probably manage high or even ultra settings, too, since the processing power that would be devoted to 4K can take up the slack elsewhere. You'd kinda get the best of both worlds.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
3 months ago#18
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't have enough characters for this:

drekula2 posted...
Some people have told me they keep textures on ultra and everything else on high to keep their frame rate high.

There may be some truth to that.

For me, with RotTR, AA and ambient occlusion seemed to be the most resource intensive when it came to impacting my frame rate. I did intensive benchmark testing using 3D OSD -- Gigabyte's benchmark testing tool that came in my mobo's software suite -- Fraps, and RotTR's built in benchmarking tool, and when I had AA and ambient occlusion maxed, my FPS tanked. I averaged about 27 FPS at 4K. When I dropped AA to SMAA and ambient-occlusion to On, my average FPS averaged about 57 FPS at 4K.

I dillydallied a bit by messing with textures, hair physics, and other settings, but the biggest FPS drops happened when AA and ambient occlusion were maxed. When only those two were dropped only slightly (FXAA is below SMAA, and you can turn ambient occlusion off), my FPS nearly doubled.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
3 months ago#19
I'll take 4k ultra and 30fps over anything else.
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: Somato

Somato
3 months ago#20
Edavy89 posted...
Somato posted...

Making this post, with your signature, makes you look like a complete tool. Just in case you care.

so me having a signature showing i can form my own opinion, while making a post telling someone to form their own opinion makes me look like a complete tool to some guy on the PCH forums of GameFAQs?
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 1080p Ultra vs. 1440p High vs. 4K Medium

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived