This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DVD/BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Software for Windows 10?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DVD/BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Software for Windows 10?

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#1
I'm trying to find an ALL-IN-ONE player, (not that I can find any separates) that will let me play these damn movies.

I have over 100 HD-DVDs, and tons of DVD's, and a decent size library of Blu-rays.

I put a disc in my PC, and it tells me that it can't play the disc.

I put a DVD in the drive, and it says it can't play MPEG-2 videos on Power DVD.

I really don't understand the whole debacle with these things. If my drive has the Logo on it, that should infer the licensing has been paid to allow me to watch movies on it, Right?

I tried out EASY DVD, but I can't tell if it is truly compatible, and the copyright on their website ended in 2015... so I am assuming that they no longer update the software.

Also, I prefer that the software is FREE.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.
The cranky hermit 3 months ago#2
PowerDVD plays it all. If that's not working for you, you're doing something wrong.

Also, you need a Blu-Ray drive to play Blu-Rays, and you need an HD-DVD-ROM drive to play HD-DVDs.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Cool_Dude667

Cool_Dude667
3 months ago#3
Power DVD comes out with a new edition yearly pretty much, but there is a 15 day trial and other means to obtain a free copy. It should be able to play anything in your drive, maybe you need to change your dvd region if you have a PAL disc or somethin.
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: AimlessDork

AimlessDork
3 months ago#4
Why would you even own any HD-DVDs, let alone a hundred. They've not even built HD-DVD players for almost a decade and it was clear from the start that blu-ray was going to win that format war.

Also, they haven't *made* HD-DVDs in a decade. What did you possibly buy that counted to a 100 of them.
GTX 1070, i7-6700, NZXT Phantom 530, W10
Ps4. Ps3. PC. 3DS

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#5
AimlessDork posted...
Why would you even own any HD-DVDs, let alone a hundred. They've not even built HD-DVD players for almost a decade and it was clear from the start that blu-ray was going to win that format war.

Also, they haven't *made* HD-DVDs in a decade. What did you possibly buy that counted to a 100 of them.

Actually, when Blu-rays and HD-DVD were both fighting it out, I invested in an HD-DVD player. I preferred the higher quality, and the extras that they offered (well promised to offer). Then they lost the war, and the prices made them super cheap.

I bought lots of HD-dvds on Ebay for like $20 for 10, or 20 movies.

I got doubles along the way, and had no issue throwing them away. Great movies that you can buy on Blu-Ray now for $5, I own for 50 cents.

I have a Combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive for my PC, and it make perfect sense to watch these movies.

They aren't bargain bin movies either... they are TOP budget films, that were mostly box office hits (not waterworld) and a lot of cult classics.

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would ignore them. I can buy a LOT of 100 movies for about $100. No Duplicates, all still sealed. And still find a decent handful I do not own.

Not to mention, HD-DVD didn't die out in every country as fast as it did in the states. Argentina was putting the movies out on HD-DVD because they got great deals on the players, and Blu-ray was too expensive. So you could get English movies, subbed for Argentina, that never went on sale in the states as HD-DVD.

That and Five Below used to sell the DVD/HD-DVD combo discs, that you could flip, and play in a DVD player. So I bought one of every movie they had, for like $15.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#6
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Power DVD comes out with a new edition yearly pretty much, but there is a 15 day trial and other means to obtain a free copy. It should be able to play anything in your drive, maybe you need to change your dvd region if you have a PAL disc or somethin.

They want another $35 for the upgrade. I bought this PC 3 years ago, and PowerDVD was pre-installed.

User Info: MrXGamer

MrXGamer
3 months ago#7
Sorry pal, but throw those HD-DVDs in trash. They are dead like VHS. Their value on ebay is like a dollar each. Even some "rare to find" VHS are more valuable than that, lol...

Now get yourself a Blu-ray drive from newegg. Just make sure its company has a good reputation for updating firmware because all Blu-ray drives have this protection to stop running discs if the firmware isn't updated with latest DRM or whatever. But still, don't expect it to last forever. Years down the line, you may have to replace again. It happened to my Blu-ray drive that stopped receiving updates. Now the only way it can play Blu-ray discs if I remove protection on discs with a third party program, which usually requires a purchase and not really legal. But the good news is, Blu-ray drives can be found for cheap and PC can have stronger options than consoles if you want to spend more.

Once you have that, purchase PowerDVD software from its official site (worth every penny) and then you're all set.
Now Playing (and for the next 50 years): Path of Exile!
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Win 10 Pro

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#8
MrXGamer posted...
Sorry pal, but throw those HD-DVDs in trash. They are dead like VHS. Their value on ebay is like a dollar each. Even some "rare to find" VHS are more valuable than that, lol...

Now get yourself a Blu-ray drive from newegg. Just make sure its company has a good reputation for updating firmware because all Blu-ray drives have this protection to stop running discs if the firmware isn't updated with latest DRM or whatever. But still, don't expect it to last forever. Years down the line, you may have to replace again. It happened to my Blu-ray drive that stopped receiving updates. Now the only way it can play Blu-ray discs if I remove protection on discs with a third party program, which usually requires a purchase and not really legal. But the good news is, Blu-ray drives can be found for cheap and PC can have stronger options than consoles if you want to spend more.

Once you have that, purchase PowerDVD software from its official site (worth every penny) and then you're all set.

Wanna go back and READ ANY of the posts above you? Or are you trying to convince yourself that you are the best?

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
3 months ago#9
Kodi
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#10
This is the drive I have... I also have a blu-ray / DVD-RW in the PC from the factory.

http://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2012/03/16/55-8376-blu_ray_600.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DVD/BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Software for Windows 10?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived