This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bought a PS4 controller for $1 at a garage sale

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bought a PS4 controller for $1 at a garage sale

User Info: Trayvon

Trayvon
3 months ago#1
what do I need to do to find out if it actually works lol

I had it plugged into my phone charger and it seems to have charged as it was lighting up and stuff.

What issues did these controllers have?

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#2
Does it smell fine?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hj9yPs
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | MSI GTX Gaming X 1070 | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Prime Z270-A

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
3 months ago#3
you have the actual charger cable with it right? steam has natural support for the ds4 now, just plug it in and set it up in big picture mode and done

also no issues, the thumbsticks are small if you are used to the xbox controllers I guess

User Info: Trayvon

Trayvon
3 months ago#4
Cards_and_Hats posted...
you have the actual charger cable with it right?

nah it was just by itself.

it had a micro USB hold so I just assumed that my abundance of them should be fine?

what Bluetooth plug should I be using with this?

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#5
The only ones that you can't really fix yourself, Broken Bluetooth, and Bad Gyros, or rotten thumbsticks... but you can tell if the sticks are bad without buying it.

Battery is like $15. but probably not shot, maybe doesn't hold a good charge.

I can tell you two things that are REALLY important if you do decide to open it...

THE TRIGGERS HAVE A NEARLY INVISIBLE SPRING. They pop out the second you open the controller.

THE RIBBON CABLE GOING FROM THE FRONT TO THE BACK... Will make you want to kill yourself, and falls apart from the connector if you so much as breathe on it.

Other than that, its pretty serviceable by someone that is mildly handy. I opened one to replace the thumbsticks themselves (not the electronics) and lost both springs from the triggers... Strangely the triggers worked just fine, if a little on the squishy side... but I had no problem merking people in Destiny afterwards... and the controller looked amazing with Gold anodized aluminum thumbsticks on a black controller.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#6
Trayvon posted...
Cards_and_Hats posted...

it had a micro USB hold so I just assumed that my abundance of them should be fine?

Any micro usb will work. Don't worry. Just don't leave it charging past full charge. As in don't charge while sleeping.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hj9yPs
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | MSI GTX Gaming X 1070 | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Prime Z270-A

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#7
Terantatek posted...
Trayvon posted...
Cards_and_Hats posted...

Any micro usb will work. Don't worry. Just don't leave it charging past full charge. As in don't charge while sleeping.

Wait it seriously doesn't guard vs. that?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
3 months ago#8
Plug some headphones to see if that still works, you can test the gyroscope and touchpad in steam with the controller configuration menu, l don't think you can test the speaker on PC but l might be wrong on that. Also, check that your sticks aren't stuck in one direction, just play a game and see if your character moves without touching the controller and yeah, the sticks peel off easily but you can fix that easily too (buy some grips).

Ohh and don't worry about leaving it charging, I've done it many times and l bought my ps4 at launch.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
3 months ago#9
If you bought it for a $1 even if the controller is 100% broken you aren't out much. s*** even a controller that barely functions is a decent deal when you are paying $1.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Regil, Shion, Blaze
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bought a PS4 controller for $1 at a garage sale

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived